Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars at UL gates

• 18-02-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Whats the story with the two cars at the East and West gate, looks like they were placed there as opposed to abandoned?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

road traffic awareness / safe driving inititavie.

they are real cars from real accidents that are been displayed as a healthy reminder to young drivers that speed and drink driving kills etc.

so yes they are put there on purpose not abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Thanks Cambridge, thought it a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I'm selling 4 alloys off a Grande Punto, €200.
    Body kit off a MR2, €30 (needs repair).
    Two headlights (fully functioning) off a opel corsa (years 94-97).
    Might have what you need just ask.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Decryptor wrote: »
    They must have seen this post because they're just after putting barriers around each car. :D
    haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Daniel S wrote: »
    I'm selling 4 alloys off a Grande Punto, €200.
    Body kit off a MR2, €30 (needs repair).
    Two headlights (fully functioning) off a opel corsa (years 94-97).
    Might have what you need just ask.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    They must have seen this post because they're just after putting barriers around each car. :D

• Advertisement

How did I quote you and still post before you?!?!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I did get a connection time out while posting, but I'm not sure. That shouldn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

they are real cars from real accidents that are been displayed as a healthy reminder to young drivers that speed and drink driving kills etc.

They're not really. None of the cars on show has any evidence of serious crash damage. If they had actual crashed cars, it might have more of an impact. Nothing so sobering as seeing a mangled car with blood all over the interior!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Chimaera wrote: »
    They're not really. None of the cars on show has any evidence of serious crash damage. If they had actual crashed cars, it might have more of an impact. Nothing so sobering as seeing a mangled car with blood all over the interior!

Yeah Im sure the school kids passing in around UL would love to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

And that's what happens when you drink and drive...
    Your car gets totaled and displayed to teach others a lesson...

Yeah barriers now,
    Some hero locked his bike to it :P
    The lamp posts were taken :P

The one by the gate gives off a pretty bad impression to passers by though, those who don't know what week it is, especially if it's going to be there for the week and not moved...

Before reading the sign I just thought people drove them there and burnt them out, started reading signs around the place, 24hr camera coverage,
    Then saw the one across from the bus stop thinking that was a bit risky,
    Then two in front of the main building and knew something was up then.. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 storysham

I agree that there really should be signs to make sure everyone knows what's it's about. People who know nothing about it will draw conclusions and it'd give the place a bad rep.
    As for the "sobering reminder" this is, I may be a little cynical but something as small scale as a crushed up car isn't going to scare anyone straight. The only thing I am certain will change someone's behaviour in a car is an actual accident and obviously that will help nobody. People are far too good at forgetting something that isn't hitting them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Sorry bout that lads...Few naggins... Wasn't grand

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The one by the gate gives off a pretty bad impression to passers by though, those who don't know what week it is, especially if it's going to be there for the week and not moved...

An auld sign never hurts. There may be a school of thought that reckons it's better for people to ask about it and then have the "oh, ah" factor but, even if this were the case, solid targeted information is better than hoped-for grapevine information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

sceptre wrote: »
    An auld sign never hurts. There may be a school of thought that reckons it's better for people to ask about it and then have the "oh, ah" factor but, even if this were the case, solid targeted information is better than hoped-for grapevine information.

They've must've seen this too, there's signs on the cars now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Passed these on Sunday night. Someone had obviously called the Guards about it because I passed the East Gate, where a squad car with two lads had stopped.

Advertisement