Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC music entrance test HELP ME!

• 26-10-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

i know this has been posted before, but that was 5 years ago.
    Ive previously done the UCC music entrance test but i wasn't really prepared and i failed. I'm applying again this year, so does anyone have any advice? (especially on the composition part, irish music in particular)..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

yeah, maybe i shouldn't have posted it here....... i just put it into all the relevant category's sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I can't help you with Irish music composition. But with the general composition question, a good idea is to demonstrate basic knowledge of the cycle of fifths, work within a key, keep it simple, add some passing notes, maybe a bit of modulation. Develop a formula for yourself and stick to it.

okay thanks, ill consider that question too.... any other advice?
    I find it difficult to comprehend what they are looking for in the entrance exam, i feel confident i have the knowledge but after failing it last year I'm determined to get it right this year.
    thank you

(btw you weren't in a band called kvx by any chance?)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Hahaha no i've never been in KVX.

I think they just looking for an understanding of music, not a prodigy or genius. Don't play overly complicated pieces for your practical that you're not comfortable with, try and have a program with varying styles or genres with pieces that you're confident about.

Written test wise, I guess have a well thought out essay, make a plan, good paragraphs and structure. I can't remember what else is in the paper besides essay and composition. :)

Léan wrote: »
    Hahaha no i've never been in KVX.

I think they just looking for an understanding of music, not a prodigy or genius. Don't play overly complicated pieces for your practical that you're not comfortable with, try and have a program with varying styles or genres with pieces that you're confident about.

Written test wise, I guess have a well thought out essay, make a plan, good paragraphs and structure. I can't remember what else is in the paper besides essay and composition. :)

me again...if you even remember this thread haha...thanks for the advice.. although i did play an overly complicated piece on guitar and failed at it miserably, my piano and fiddle skills got me in XD
    so ill be starting soon

anyone who reads this and is about to do that entrance test...just make sure you know how to compose properly ( i got a teacher to help me with that) and play pieces your confident at, even if they seem abit simple! better than messing up like i did XD

• Advertisement
Advertisement