Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pc Gaming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

we put 550w psu with 7970 builds. its amazon quality psu, not a cheap 20 quid 1k psu ;). its expencive psu m8. trust me, i know about PSU m8, and i know that W means **** all. that particular PSU is spot on.
    Oh I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that while the Amazon is a very good PSU, when it comes to choosing a part for a rig coming in at around a grand, I'd be a lot more confident about choosing a good Corsair or Seasonic instead. I think that's what Limericks is debating too, these parts are all "very good" (with the exception of the case and the lack of sound card) but I don't think they're classed as "high end" even if they get the job done in terms of a gaming rig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Sorry, but advocating the stealing of windows is clearly immature.

Also you are still focusing on the current generation of games, I have said multiple times that is not the issue it is the future that will bring changes.

games being coded in 32 bit can change on a whim. From a quick google I came across this list of games natively coded on 64 bit here there may be more then this, I do not know.

your 5 year old pc played games until now, that is great that you got so much out of it as I had a similarly built pc (minus quad core but dual core and 8800gtx instead of gt) and it lasted about the same amount of time. But technology is moving faster and faster and things get outdated fast. Also 5 years ago your pc would of been considered high end.

It is of my opinion, if you want to sufficiently future proof then be on the bleeding edge of hardware and do one huge build and your ok for the next half decade or more if your lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    Oh I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that while the Amazon is a very good PSU, when it comes to choosing a part for a rig coming in at around a grand, I'd be a lot more confident about choosing a good Corsair or Seasonic instead. I think that's what Limericks is debating too, these parts are all "very good" (with the exception of the case and the lack of sound card) but I don't think they're classed as "high end" even if they get the job done in terms of a gaming rig.

well, the argument could be different then: what we call a high end pc m8.

i call a machine that can let me play any game max out - a high end gaming pc.

i guess he is calling a machine which has all the newest stuff - a high end PC ( i dont know where gaming part comes in here )

the problem i see: you are not bringing a bazooka or barret m82 to hunt a rabit, as its too expencive and overkill, the rifle, which will be cheaper and will do it properly is better option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Limericks wrote: »

Ring Microsoft, tell them you are chaning the hardware in your PC and want to be able to activate your current copy of windows on it. Get windows for free and don't break any laws. Of course you need to own windows already but most people do.

Also you are still focusing on the current generation of games, I have said multiple times that is not the issue it is the future that will bring changes.

games being coded in 32 bit can change on a whim. From a quick google I came across this list of games natively coded on 64 bit here there may be more then this, I do not know.

your 5 year old pc played games until now, that is great that you got so much out of it as I had a similarly built pc (minus quad core but dual core and 8800gtx instead of gt) and it lasted about the same amount of time. But technology is moving faster and faster and things get outdated fast. Also 5 years ago your pc would of been considered high end.

It is of my opinion, if you want to sufficiently future proof then be on the bleeding edge of hardware and do one huge build and your ok for the next half decade or more if your lucky.

it is not moving faster. technology is coming faster, but it is not being used out. perfect example: pcie 3.0. pcie 2.0 is not even saturated by pci 3.0 gpus as pci 2.0 still so fast. pcie 3.0 is just not even needed now.

have you been in to PCs at age of pentuim I, II and III? now that was **** times. you buy pc for 1000eu and it was top of the range, then 2 months later twice faster pc comes out for same price and your current pc was worth 100eu.
    the best part of this time - we get more time out of same hardware, it is not becoming outdated as fast as it used too. so 2500k 8gb pc will be still high end good few years in, the only thing you will be swaping - GPU. Even now gtx570, gtx580 or 6970 will be very great card in few years time.

the only problem we got now: i really awefull name that pc gaming got from back then: " VERY EXPENSIVE ", which is not that true. It can look very expencive from one point of view, but it can look a real bargain when you see the big picture.

• Advertisement

well, the argument could be different then: what we call a high end pc m8.

i call a machine that can let me play any game max out - a high end gaming pc.

i guess he is calling a machine which has all the newest stuff - a high end PC ( i dont know where gaming part comes in here )

the problem i see: you are not bringing a bazooka or barret m82 to hunt a rabit, as its too expencive and overkill, the rifle, which will be cheaper and will do it properly is better option.
    I think the answer lies somewhere in between though. I'm certainly not saying an Extreme Edition CPU is required to be high end, but I'd still regard a certain standard of componet in such a machine. As I've said the case and lack of soundcard are such issues, dito for the screen. The PSU is debatable but I've been stung in the past before so I'd always err on the side of caution and go with the brands I've highlighted. Either way, more examples such as these at least dispell that delightful myth that you need to spend a grand on a rig to match console graphics. :)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ring Microsoft, tell them you are chaning the hardware in your PC and want to be able to activate your current copy of windows on it. Get windows for free and don't break any laws. Of course you need to own windows already but most people do.
    I'm confused, are you saying MS will give you a free copy of a newer version of Windows?

I think the answer lies somewhere in between though. I'm certainly not saying an Extreme Edition CPU is required to be high end, but I'd still regard a certain standard of componet in such a machine. As I've said the case and lack of soundcard are such issues, dito for the screen. The PSU is debatable but I've been stung in the past before so I'd always err on the side of caution and go with the brands I've highlighted. Either way, more examples such as these at least dispell that delightful myth that you need to spend a grand on a rig to match console graphics. :)

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! silence! or you will be get them out of the cave!! you know... them.... :p

well onboard sound became better m8. i have xfi sound blaster in old pc and on new pc i got integrated. honestly... i dont hear any difference between them. i know some people who spend 200eu on sound card, but for them sound is more important, then it is for me. to be honest we havent included any sound cards to any builds lately. on board is doing a great job!

i promise you, that psu is solid m8 ;)

case - yes, it would not be on the expencive side, but it does everything that expencive one does. you can add few fans for few quid from ebay. i use corsair 500R myself which is great case, but i will admit, case wont be my strongest part of knowladge :).

i puted that in 3 minutes. lads could put a way better system with same budget. so its not perfect machine and has a lot of room for improvement. :)

it is not moving faster. technology is coming faster, but it is not being used out. perfect example: pcie 3.0. pcie 2.0 is not even saturated by pci 3.0 gpus as pci 2.0 still so fast. pcie 3.0 is just not even needed now.

have you been in to PCs at age of pentuim I, II and III? now that was **** times. you buy pc for 1000eu and it was top of the range, then 2 months later twice faster pc comes out for same price and your current pc was worth 100eu.
    the best part of this time - we get more time out of same hardware, it is not becoming outdated as fast as it used too. so 2500k 8gb pc will be still high end good few years in, the only thing you will be swaping - GPU. Even now gtx570, gtx580 or 6970 will be very great card in few years time.

the only problem we got now: i really awefull name that pc gaming got from back then: " VERY EXPENSIVE ", which is not that true. It can look very expencive from one point of view, but it can look a real bargain when you see the big picture.

Okay I agree that some technology is moving faster than it needs too but sometimes that leads to the last version of it being cheaper even though it has not been fully used up.

Haha, one of my first real pc's was a dell xps which cost 1400 pounds at the time. it was a pentium 3 with 256mb ram. Now that's painful to look back on!

again I reiterate, you can build a pc quite cheaply and have it run all the latest software and all the latest games. But if you truly want to be future proofed then spend some more and get the latest components, then you won't have to worry about your pc for a long time.

I agree that some people thing that pc gaming is more expensive then it should be, but most of those same people are console junkies and don't understand that the PC can do so much more then simply gaming and will usually outlast a generation of consoles and will outlive it as far as hardware failures go. They also probably don't realise that it is cheaper to get games for the pc then it is for consoles.

I am planning my next PC build. It will be ivy bridge, it will be kepler based, it will be multiple gpu and it will be awsome. Then I don't have to worry for a LONG time about upgrades.

Okay I agree that some technology is moving faster than it needs too but sometimes that leads to the last version of it being cheaper even though it has not been fully used up.

Haha, one of my first real pc's was a dell xps which cost 1400 pounds at the time. it was a pentium 3 with 256mb ram. Now that's painful to look back on!

again I reiterate, you can build a pc quite cheaply and have it run all the latest software and all the latest games. But if you truly want to be future proofed then spend some more and get the latest components, then you won't have to worry about your pc for a long time.

I agree that some people thing that pc gaming is more expensive then it should be, but most of those same people are console junkies and don't understand that the PC can do so much more then simply gaming and will usually outlast a generation of consoles and will outlive it as far as hardware failures go. They also probably don't realise that it is cheaper to get games for the pc then it is for consoles.

I am planning my next PC build. It will be ivy bridge, it will be kepler based, it will be multiple gpu and it will be awsome. Then I don't have to worry for a LONG time about upgrades.

and i will welcome you in " building computer " forum on boards.ie ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ahh the old Dell XPS. I had a similarly priced pc as my first pc, and absolutely loved it. Was the same spec, and it was like a bloody super computer to me. I got the it delivered and was supposed to wait for someone to come home to unbox it, but i couldnt wait. I remember sitting up till 5am that night playing Birth of the Federation (not in any way system intensive) until my mother came in and told me to go to bed. Good times.

Good times :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My first PC was my P100 back in christmas 1995, 16MB or RAM and a 1MB piece of **** graphics card. Had great fun with it but the hardware was obsolete fast, although it got a bit of a kick in the ass when I got a Power VR card for it but only for a short time. Only problem was I was stuck with that until the summer of 2001 when I got a 1GHz machine, now that was quite a jump. Lucky I had some friends that were big into PCs and had a small lan in the house so I got enough PC gaming in before 2001 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Well some people don't understand that gaming is not about playing the latest game in the highest graphical settings. I built my quad core gaming pc 2 years ago and it would've been mid range at best at the time and it cost around 600E excluding monitor. I can play all the latest games I am interested in at a resolution and graphical setting I am happy with.

Most games are also now developed for multiple platforms. This means good game developers are not just focusing on making the game look good and pushing the pc hardware bounderies like the old days and the quality of the games are better for it. Future proofing by wasting money on over priced bleeding edge tech? What is the point apart from an e-penis extension?

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Well some people don't understand that gaming is not about playing the latest game in the highest graphical settings. I built my quad core gaming pc 2 years ago and it would've been mid range at best at the time and it cost around 600E excluding monitor. I can play all the latest games I am interested in at a resolution and graphical setting I am happy with.

Most games are also now developed for multiple platforms. This means good game developers are not just focusing on making the game look good and pushing the pc hardware bounderies like the old days and the quality of the games are better for it. Future proofing by wasting money on over priced bleeding edge tech? What is the point apart from an e-penis extension?

Eyefinity, 3d, tesselation, massive AA. the list goes on.

I also wholeheartedly disagree with your statement that games are better for not being specifically tuned for pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Kiith wrote: »
    Ahh the old Dell XPS. I had a similarly priced pc as my first pc, and absolutely loved it. Was the same spec, and it was like a bloody super computer to me. I got the it delivered and was supposed to wait for someone to come home to unbox it, but i couldnt wait. I remember sitting up till 5am that night playing Birth of the Federation (not in any way system intensive) until my mother came in and told me to go to bed. Good times.

Good times :D

Anyone got a patch to let Birth of the Federation run on windows 7?

Christ, I build my PC and I want to play Birth on it:rolleyes:

Anyone got a patch to let Birth of the Federation run on windows 7?

Christ, I build my PC and I want to play Birth on it:rolleyes:

came across this on google

1. Install BoTF (probably from .iso is your best bet)
    2. If you run it the way it is, it will freeze and crash, due to Windows 7 not being able to automatically dumb itself down to those levels
    3. Enter compatibility mode... to enter compatibility mode on Windows 7:
    3a. Right Click on the icon I am sure you have placed on the desktop, and click "Properties"
    3b. Click the "compatibility" tab
    3c. check the "run in compatibility mode" check box
    3d. set the compatibility for "Windows 98/Windows ME"
    3e. in the settings area, turn the following things on:
    - Run in 256 colours
    - Run in 640 x 480
    - Disable Visual Themes
    - Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
    4. Click "Apply"
    5. Run trek.exe (that is the icon you have just edited)
    6. Have fun playing BoTF
    7. Yes, it also works with mods

Eyefinity, 3d, tesselation, massive AA. the list goes on.

I also wholeheartedly disagree with your statement that games are better for not being specifically tuned for pc.

Well, I'm a way I agree with him. Pc gaming is not always about graphics.

Remember quake 3? ID,we're so proud of that engine: look how beautifull it is! Lightning! Textures! Models! It's pure orgasm!!!
    Quake 3 gamers: lower textures, turn of shadowing and lightning, replace weapon models with icons, remove weapon model on screen. Play like a boss! :)))

Starcraft 2: beautifull looking rts!
    Gamers: turn graphics down so you have it more clear and less distraction :)

We are weird bunch!

Eyefinity sounds good on paper, but I would just take 1 bigger monitor then 3 small monitors. Though 3 monitor setups are pure sex for driving sims!! Sometimes this is is matter of taste, not a must. I would go for eyefinity only if I can play and not feel like being prison cell bars :)

AA is introduced only t smoother the edges. With such high resolution AA is less and less important as there is enough pixels to smother edges already. To be honest I am not fan of AA in the pest place. It makes it blurry, I prefer more crisp view, but once again, it's a matter of taste.

This only proves same thing: pc is such versatile, that it has no limits and you ca do some really awesome crazy setups, but on the other hand just to be able to play pc games the normal way is not that expencive!

well onboard sound became better m8. i have xfi sound blaster in old pc and on new pc i got integrated. honestly... i dont hear any difference between them. i know some people who spend 200eu on sound card, but for them sound is more important, then it is for me. to be honest we havent included any sound cards to any builds lately. on board is doing a great job!
    Oh aye, it's certainly better than it used to be and in fairness, to get the benefit out of a good card you need good speakers or good headphones but get them and the difference is as clear as integrated graphics versus a dedicated card.
    case - yes, it would not be on the expencive side, but it does everything that expencive one does. you can add few fans for few quid from ebay. i use corsair 500R myself which is great case, but i will admit, case wont be my strongest part of knowladge :).
    Again cases are one of those areas that when you look into them, you can see the massive difference a well designed case can make. Cleaner cable management, well positioned and efficent fans (although they're generally the reserve of third party fans) and air flow may not be high on many people's list of priorities but when you start putting high powered parts in, you can see the benefits.

Oh aye, it's certainly better than it used to be and in fairness, to get the benefit out of a good card you need good speakers or good headphones but get them and the difference is as clear as integrated graphics versus a dedicated card.

Again cases are one of those areas that when you look into them, you can see the massive difference a well designed case can make. Cleaner cable management, well positioned and efficent fans (although they're generally the reserve of third party fans) and air flow may not be high on many people's list of priorities but when you start putting high powered parts in, you can see the benefits.

I know lads always offer some case which is cheap and cheerfull. I just don't remember the name! I know few powerfull pcs on cardboard box, so it's not so vital ;).

It's always better to get better case, but it is not so vital. There are some really good cheap and cheerfull cases, which will do everything what big boys do, then ofc you get pile of shot cases, which will suck in hot hair instead of taking it out! :)

Cable managment? Oh yeah... That thing.. I do use it!

* tries to get out of the room unnoticed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I spent 70 euro this week to turn a crappy dell I found into a working gaming PC. 50 euro graphics card, 20 euro CPU and update the bios. PC sails through Battlefield 3 now. Happy days as my friend was broke so he took the PC off me :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My son is using my 6 year old rig, Q6600,4 gig DDR2,ati 4870, playing everything @ max settings without any issues.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    My son is using my 6 year old rig, Q6600,4 gig DDR2,ati 4870, playing everything @ max settings without any issues.

Using a dx11 card at 1080p or beyond? The reason I ask is because dx11 adds tessellation and extra AA features which are very heavy performance vampires :P

//nevermind it isn't overlooked it on your post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Dcully wrote: »
    I assume the case is the only thing that's 6 years old by now?

I assume the case is the only thing that's 6 years old by now?

Checked dates and its 5 years old my bad :P
    Only thing i upgraded in 5 years was the gfx card which i bought for €180, at the time i didnt actually need it but it was on some sort of special offer and too good to resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If I buy starcraft, will I have to download stuff? Cos I tried to download the demo, and it was like, 7gb.

cloud493 wrote: »
    If I buy starcraft, will I have to download stuff? Cos I tried to download the demo, and it was like, 7gb.

Probably just the updates unless ofcourse you buy the game digitally.

Is it a big update? 7GB was massive for a demo :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

thye demo is the full game
    it's just locked to only a few missions
    if you dl'd the demo and bought the game, you'd just input the key and you'd have the full game already downloaded

and you will have to download patches to play online, there's quite a few

Oh :/ this is bloody confusing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well it doesnt really have a "demo" in the traditional sense
    you've downloaded the full game, but you need to buy an account to play the full campaign or play online

• Advertisement

Oh I see what you mean. Is this why PC games are hard to pirate?

Advertisement