Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kosher salt

• 16-04-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

anyone know where i can buy this in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is normal salt not Kosher?
    I don't know much about this, but I'd assume it was, as it doesn't come from an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From doing a bit of Googling it would appear that Kosher salt is nothing more than large grained pure salt (i.e. NaCl) with no additives. Should be pretty easy to find even though it might not be called 'kosher'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

From wiki:

It is also part of some common product names. For example, "kosher salt" (technically "koshering salt") is a form of salt which has irregularly-shaped crystals, making it particularly suitable for preparing meat in accordance with kashrut law because the increased surface area of the crystals absorbs blood more effectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_salt
    http://kitchensavvy.typepad.com/journal/2007/02/what_makes_salt.html

I don't think the salt itself is Kosher, it is just a different variety of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Its to do with the size and consistency of the crystal.

I like Maldon's sea salt, but its very expensive, Kosher salt should be relatively cheap and provide a comparable experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 biaduit

Kosher salt is in between fine salt and sea salt. I'm afraid Malden is in a class by itself and Kosher salt won't provide the same experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I think they don’t allow iodine to be added or anti caking agents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

technically speaking its salt that is used for Koshering. I don't know if normal salt is or is not "kosher".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

*Bump*

I know this thread is nearly 5 years old, but does anybody know where I can get my hands on kosher salt?
    I just want to give it a try and taste what it's like, just out of curiousity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fallon & Byrne if you are near Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    *Bump*

I know this thread is nearly 5 years old, but does anybody know where I can get my hands on kosher salt?
    I just want to give it a try and taste what it's like, just out of curiousity really.

It's gonna taste like any other decent large grain salt. Sea salt, rock salt etc.

It's for making meat kosher by removign blood, not a special salt thats in accordance with religious rules

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

as Mellor pointed out.. its quite similiar to sea salt. its just a large grain salt and in fact is often derived from the sea itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there's a company who do large single use salt and pepper grinders that sell a really nice pink rock salt that has very large grains that are very good for koshering type usage.

EDIT: I should probably have mentioned that they are available in local supermarkets, very tall clear plastic grinders, with a big black plastic top with the contents clearly visible inside. I got mine in my local supervalu, but I've bought them in tesco's before and tey are pretty good value for the size.

i'm not jewish, but i sometimes do a salt steak (leave your steak covered in rock salt for an hour or so prior to cooking, wash off and cook as normal) and it's very good for that.

it makes the meat very tender and surprisingly enough, not at all salty, although the flavour does change a bit.

more info on it here if anyone is interested: http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I cook exclusively with Kosher salt. I got used to using it and love how it feels in your fingers when sprinking on food while cooking. I only use to season while cooking and would never be used at the table like you would do with table salt.

I could not find anywhere in Ireland so had 5 x 3lb boxes of Morton's shipped from USA. Two years later and I have gotten through just over one box.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/culinary-salts/food-salts/13/morton-coarse-kosher-salt/

morton-coarse-kosher-salt-one-pound-box.png?v=1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I could not find anywhere in Ireland so had 5 x 3lb boxes of Morton's shipped from USA. Two years later and I have gotten through just over one box.
    i suppose it's not like it's going to go off or anything. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Oh I know what kosher salt are originally for but I just wonder how different are they different in taste.
    Like Fleur De Sel salt are not as strong, and then you get the super salty fine salt that they use daily in South East Asia.

So it seems that you're all saying kosher ones tastes like any other sea/rock salt.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Oh I know what kosher salt are originally for but I just wonder how different are they different in taste.
    Like Fleur De Sel salt are not as strong, and then you get the super salty fine salt that they use daily in South East Asia.

So it seems that you're all saying kosher ones tastes like any other sea/rock salt.

tastes the same as normal table salt, its is just a different texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

If it needs to be kosher for religious reasons, SuperValu in Churchtown, Dublin has a Jewish food section and you might be able to get it there.

If it needs to be kosher for religious reasons, SuperValu in Churchtown, Dublin has a Jewish food section and you might be able to get it there.
    Plain is also kosher in religious terms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kosher salt is good for a lot of reasons, the bigger grains make it earier to "pinch" and sprinkle. It's got more surface contact so good for drawing proteins out of meats when you are searing them. It's just handier for cooking, you use a lot less and get better results.

For example.

When grilling a steak (on a charcoal grill) take the steak out of the firdge for 20-30 mins to come up to room temp and then for the last 5 mins give a good sprinkle of kosher salt, you would use a lot less than you would fresh cracked sea salt and the added surface contact pulls more moisture (and proteins) to the surface of the meat so when you throw it on the grill there is a lot more "stuff" on the surface of the meat to caramalise.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Kosher salt is good for a lot of reasons, the bigger grains make it earier to "pinch" and sprinkle. It's got more surface contact so good for drawing proteins out of meats when you are searing them. It's just handier for cooking, you use a lot less and get better results.

For example.

When grilling a steak (on a charcoal grill) take the steak out of the firdge for 20-30 mins to come up to room temp and then for the last 5 mins give a good sprinkle of kosher salt, you would use a lot less than you would fresh cracked sea salt and the added surface contact pulls more moisture (and proteins) to the surface of the meat so when you throw it on the grill there is a lot more "stuff" on the surface of the meat to caramalise.
    Bigger grains mean there is less surface contact for the same amount.
    All salt will draw water and proteins to the surface.
    I think large grained salt is better for meat, but not the reasons you said. I like to salt it, then remove the salt my brush it off before frying/grilling/BBQ etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mellor wrote: »
    Bigger grains mean there is less surface contact for the same amount.
    All salt will draw water and proteins to the surface.
    I think large grained salt is better for meat, but not the reasons you said. I like to salt it, then remove the salt my brush it off before frying/grilling/BBQ etc

The entire point of Kosher salt is because the grains have more contact with the meat, which draws the water (and blood) out of the meat, this is what makes it good for koshering.
    Because the grains consist of several crystals stuck together, they have a larger surface area than other types.

You have to use a lot less by weight for the same effect.

Also, brushing it off with your brush means you are also, by default, removing some of the liquids and proteins you have pulled to the surface and all it really does it limit speckling which might occur if you were cooking on a flat pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pmac086

vibe666 wrote: »
    i suppose it's not like it's going to go off or anything. :pac:

It might if moisture gets to it LOL. seriously though, would love to buy a box off you if you are in Dublin, <snip> , cheers Peter:D

Mod note: Phone number edited out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

pmac086 wrote: »
    It might if moisture gets to it LOL. seriously though, would love to buy a box off you if you are in Dublin, send me a text xxxxxxxxx , cheers Peter:D

Rather than quote your phone number on a public forum, maybe you should send the poster a private message?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pmac086

Ok, thank you for that, will PM

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭nokiatom

im trying to find a place that sells kosher salt in ireland....does anyone know where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

nokiatom wrote: »
    im trying to find a place that sells kosher salt in ireland....does anyone know where ?

Yes. Everywhere that sells 'salt'. Sodium chloride is sodium chloride. Is sodium chloride.

Enjoy your dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

nokiatom wrote: »

If it's for a recipe, you can use Maldon salt.
    http://www.maldonsalt.co.uk/

You'll find it in most supermarkets. Supervalu, Dunnes, tesco, they all have it. English market in Cork also has it.

It's a sea salt, with huge crystals.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

pwurple wrote: »
    If it's for a recipe, you can use Maldon salt.
    http://www.maldonsalt.co.uk/

You'll find it in most supermarkets. Supervalu, Dunnes, tesco, they all have it. English market in Cork also has it.

It's a sea salt, with huge crystals.
    I know nothing about kosher salt but I use Maldon sea-salt and find it nicer to taste than other sea or rock-salts that I've tried.

I don't understand why Maldon tastes different from other pure salt. It seems "sweeter" somehow. Maybe it's my imagination but I don't think so. I'd have thought that any pure salt, without anti-caking agents, should taste the same regardless of source. It's all sodium chloride after all.

Maldon sells for many multiples of the price of other pure salts. Either it's a huge confidence trick or there is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Lissavane wrote: »
    I know nothing about kosher salt but I use Maldon sea-salt and find it nicer to taste than other sea or rock-salts that I've tried.

I don't understand why Maldon tastes different from other pure salt. It seems "sweeter" somehow. Maybe it's my imagination but I don't think so. I'd have thought that any pure salt, without anti-caking agents, should taste the same regardless of source. It's all sodium chloride after all.

Maldon sells for many multiples of the price of other pure salts. Either it's a huge confidence trick or there is a difference.

There's one way to find out - do a blind taste test.

• Advertisement

using Kosher is nothing about taste and all about the structure of the salt crystals and is typically used for its absorption qualities to pull blood from surface of meats. You would also only use it during cooking and not at end like a table or sea salt. People like it as it is nice to handle as its texture gives you a nice response on how much you are using or pinching into your food while cooking. Its hard to explain but if you used it you it would make sense. On steak for example kosher is great for seasoning well right before you put on your BBQ as you can see the salt and you can get a nice consistent layer.

The flaky sea salts would be a good substitution.

It also works great for margaritas as it will stick to the rim of a glass when you rub a slice of lime around it!

Advertisement