Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living near ITB or near city centre

• 04-04-2012 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MARIA91

Hello, I need some help please
    I am coming to study to ITB in september and I suppose living near ITB is the most logical option but I have read that Dublin 15 is too quiet with almost nothing to do and all erasmus students are going to live in Dublin 2 or 4. I don´t want party every night, but if you need to go to Dublin city centre to have fun one friday or saturday night, and there aren´t any buses or trains to come back at night...
    Maybe the best option is to rent a flat in city centre near a dart station? (I have also read that buses take a lot of time because of traffic jams)
    I will appreciate your help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

City Centre, definitely live in the city centre.

Never mind going out and partying but you'll get a better enjoyment/experience out of Dublin if you stay in the City Centre. I wouldn't have too much knowledge of buses from the City to the college but as far as I know they don't take too long.

There's so much more to do in Dublin City Centre apart from just going out drinking, but there is very little to do in Blanchardstown itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If it were me I'd live in City Center. Though getting to ITB would be a real pain everyday.

You could compromise and live somewhere like Ashtown, so you'd have the train, and lots of frequent bus'es for getting and out of town, and still be not too far from ITB. it would be a 20 mins cycle to ITB.

I wouldn't stay near ITB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Where is your most part of the week going to be: Blanch/D15/ITB or City Centre !??

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

39a's from the quays in Dublin leave roughly every 15 minutes. Get one of them 39a's out to the center and then the free shuttle bus to the college from there.
    Times for shuttle bus :
    http://www.itb.ie/location/parking.html

In the morning time, the 39a is very quiet coming out of Dublin
    and stuffed going in, and busy in evenings going back into Dublin but wayy busier coming out of Dublin at that time. So it works out fine.

There's student weekly/monthly passes you can buy for the bus once you get your student travel card sorted during first week of college. Before you get you hands on one of them, it's about 2.45 or 2.70e tops from the quays to blanch center.

It's much easier to get to the college if your inside Dublin. Btw the best spot to jump on the 39a in town is Aston Quay, on the quays, immediately opposite O'Connell street. There's also the 39 but it adds about 20mins onto the journey so best avoided unless it's raining ;D

Taking the 39a takes about 39-43mins to get in/out of town. Add the shuttle bus time ontop of about 7mins and factor in a gap between the two and you've got about an hour's journey at the start and end of your day. If you've got a class at 9am means you'd have to leave town at atleast 7:50 to make it in on time in the morning. So two hours every day back and forth in total. If you can live with that town it is. Trains are quicker but less frequent. The shuttle bus does swing by the train station too so it's also a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Matthew1111

Hi
    Am heading to itb in September 2 I've a friend that was there last year and she told me that the college posted out accomidation notices but it was mostly digs and not much houses to rent with other students she went with hazelwood and I am thinking about staying there thid year a buses goes past every morning to itb
    Hears a link
    http://www.hazelwood.ie/
    Book b4 July 1st and u get a gym member ship

• Advertisement

Don't let this sway you, ITB has a free gym for students/staff, and it is quite on most evenings...

Really :o cheers 4 d info... I prob still go with hazelwood , but mite not book it till August because I'll like to know if there's much itb student there d Owner siad he had a gud few this year as well as few dit and dcu students... Are u a current itb student

Really :o cheers 4 d info... I prob still go with hazelwood , but mite not book it till August because I'll like to know if there's much itb student there d Owner siad he had a gud few this year as well as few dit and dcu students... Are u a current itb student
    Yeah. Although just to let ye know, the gun in ITB, isn't that big, but it has pretty much all the equipment you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭damomeasa

Hazelwood is madness for ITB. It's in Santry. Absolute Madness.

OP, if I were you, I'd live somewhere like Stoneybatter. Close to town, nice atmosphere, and directly on the bus route out to ITB (ie you won't need to deal with city centre traffic on your commute). Nearby areas like Smithfield would work too, or you could consider somewhere close to the train line, eg Drumcondra or Cabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stm61

I am going to ITB this September as well. Where do most first years stay? Cus I'm not from Dublin and want to stay with other students from the college. The list the college gives for accommodation is mostly digs and don't like the sound of that. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Chief_Jack

Im a current ITB student and I stayed in Hazelwood in first year and Shanowen Square for second and third. My advice, do not stay in Hazelwood. It's a grand spot and all but it just doesn't hold heat at all, water used to freeze over in our sink and we could never get warm in the place over the cold months of winter. I cant stress enough just how cold it was, it was literally warmer in our fridge so we stopped using the fridge to store food.

Shanowen is great though and is well insulated and is always full of craic and parties. My advise is their or rent a house with some friends.

As for damomease's comment of Hazelwood or Shanowen (They're close to each other) being madness I strongly disagree. You can get the 17a from either of these to the National Aquatic Centre in an average of 15 minutes, from there its a five minute walk to ITB. Getting from to/from the city centre normally takes longer than this. Trust me, I've made both journeys enough times. And if you have a car or can get a lift each day you can take the M50 and be there in 10 minutes and its free because you don't pass the toll checkpoint, thats what I did for Third Year most of the time.

Hope this helps and welcome to ITB

hey
    i am itb student now.
    what clubs wud u recamend..??
    also i have gone off d idea of student accomadtion but am now thinkin of stayin in d city center with friends..wud u recammend this r sud i jus stay in blanch nd go 2 d city d odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hi
    Am heading to itb in September 2 I've a friend that was there last year and she told me that the college posted out accomidation notices but it was mostly digs and not much houses to rent with other students she went with hazelwood and I am thinking about staying there thid year a buses goes past every morning to itb
    Hears a link
    http://www.hazelwood.ie/

From Santry I believe you would need a bus into town and another bus out to ITB.

OP: Ashtown will give you the best of both worlds and you would have a better place to live compared to city centre unless you want to pay a lot more.

Advertisement