Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Well his realistic fashion has shot wide of the mark a few times and my point was largely about the calibre of story those writers were able to write.

The stories they wrote were set in a different version of batman, different parameters set etc, example being we get a good insight into how Bruce Wayne became batman in Nolans world, in the animated series we never get that, its addressed in the comics but not in the same way as Nolan did.

Obviously the "realistic fashion" takes into account how he gets his suit, its function, how he gets his gadgets etc, its still a bloke running around in a suit dressed like a bat, so its as real as it will get in the Hollywood sense, its not a documentary.

In relation to the story, I don't think Nolan and Goyers are in anyway weaker to that in the animated series, its harder to compare it to the comics/graphic novels as its a different medium to work in, and in a comic/graphic novel you have no time constraints as you do in a film, but compared to the animated series I think its equally if not better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm....off hand I can't say Batmans dialogue left any sort of impression on me, good or bad. But I thought the Jokers was spot on, even brilliant in parts.
    Yes, I should have added the caveat that the Joker's lines (and the performance of Mark Hammill) were great, but everything else was just so ... godawful. Leaving-Cert essay bad.
    Now, admittedly I have just recently finished Arkham City, which managed to plumb new depths for excrement-as-dialogue, so perhaps I'm being harsh in hindsight.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gintonious wrote: »
    The stories they wrote were set in a different version of batman, different parameters set etc, example being we get a good insight into how Bruce Wayne became batman in Nolans world, in the animated series we never get that, its addressed in the comics but not in the same way as Nolan did.

Obviously the "realistic fashion" takes into account how he gets his suit, its function, how he gets his gadgets etc, its still a bloke running around in a suit dressed like a bat, so its as real as it will get in the Hollywood sense, its not a documentary.

In relation to the story, I don't think Nolan and Goyers are in anyway weaker to that in the animated series, its harder to compare it to the comics/graphic novels as its a different medium to work in, and in a comic/graphic novel you have no time constraints as you do in a film, but compared to the animated series I think its equally if not better.

Arguably a lot of the comics themselves don't even take place in the same bat universe. Batman: Year One, The Long Holloween etc are very different to some of the more supernatural orientated storylines.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Arguably a lot of the comics themselves don't even take place in the same bat universe. Batman: Year One, The Long Holloween etc are very different to some of the more supernatural orientated storylines.

Thats a good point, the Batman stories are or can be set in whatever universe they want, in the same way that some of the novels have the joker as a weak and feeble villain and in some he has the strength to actually fight batman hand to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Gintonious wrote: »

In that regard I'm not comparing Nolans work to the animated series, but rather the story of the arkham asylum game, which has a solid plot, good cohesion and great pacing to boot. Three important elements that I felt weakened with Nolans progression to TDK.

• Advertisement

In that regard I'm not comparing Nolans work to the animated series, but rather the story of the arkham asylum game, which has a solid plot, good cohesion and great pacing to boot. Three important elements that I felt weakened with Nolans progression to TDK.

Not sure I agree with your point with the game, the dialogue is awful in it, its far too childish. To me thats the only thing that let it down really, other than that I enjoyed it.

I dont see any the game better, in relations to the points you made, to that of Nolans, both Begins and the Dark Knight had great pacing and to me held together very well, The Dark Knight is a more complex film in relation to Begins, the Joker is a far more intense character that Ra'as Al Ghul, and to be honest I thought TDK was the better film for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't see the point in comparing the movies to the games and/or series. The movie has to fit into a timeframe of 2-3 hours. Plus there's a limit of how many primary characters you can have without alienating people.
    Games and the series have a much longer frame, so they have more scope for a multitude of villains. Plus both game and series are dividing into episodes/chapters which characters easier to deal with.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Hasn't been much news about this lately, bar confirmation of Liam Neesons return :D

BatmanBubbleGirl-1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Hasn't been much news about this lately, bar confirmation of Liam Neesons return :D

BatmanBubbleGirl-1.png

there hasn't been any confirmation of that that i've heard of, you got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't see the point in comparing the movies to the games and/or series. The movie has to fit into a timeframe of 2-3 hours. Plus there's a limit of how many primary characters you can have without alienating people.
    Games and the series have a much longer frame, so they have more scope for a multitude of villains. Plus both game and series are dividing into episodes/chapters which characters easier to deal with.

Yes, this has spiralled somewhat.
    The base point was that the game was a brilliantly written and well told story, that played out well and that TDK didn't tick all the boxes.

• Advertisement

al28283 wrote: »
    there hasn't been any confirmation of that that i've heard of, you got a link?

Well maybe not exactly a confirmation but he said he was on set.

Here http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=53360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Well maybe not exactly a confirmation but he said he was on set.

Here http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=53360

It will probably be a small role like Cillian Murphys appearance in the the dark knight at the very beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

has anyone a link to a decent version of the prologue? That slowed down version on YouTube is annoying. sesir thgink krad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

MJ23 wrote: »
    has anyone a link to a decent version of the prologue? That slowed down version on YouTube is annoying. sesir thgink krad.

Any versions of it would be taken down instantly from youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Some guys recreation of the music from the prologue.

Not bad :)

Fantastic. I just found a new song to take a dump to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

LighterGuy wrote: »

Some guys recreation of the music from the prologue.

Not bad :)

I have come to the conclusion that I enjoyed the prologue more than TDK, not that I don't like TDK, god I can't wait for this movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

whos do you think that is in the body bag in the trailer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

ricero wrote: »
    I'd take a guess at Ra's al Ghul, but it could be that doctor guy in the viral marketing campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Body bag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I assume you mean the prologue rather than the trailer; and, does it really matter who it is?
    I think the point is that the burned / un-identifiable body will be checked for DNA, and they'll find the doctor's - and assume that he's dead. (Rather than Bane having him, which is the case...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

^ Ah right, that was a slightly naff moment in an otherwise fantastic prologue I have to say.

I assume you mean the prologue rather than the trailer; and, does it really matter who it is?
    I think the point is that the burned / un-identifiable body will be checked for DNA, and they'll find the doctor's - and assume that he's dead. (Rather than Bane having him, which is the case...)
    Did not think of that at all. That actually makes sense but is it plausible would it work In real life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Like the rest of the sequence, it's the kind of thing that would only be plausible in a Bond film. As we've discussed before, Nolan's films aren't realistic. He himself has described them as "heightened reality", which is movie talk for presenting unrealistic things in a believable way, i.e. verisimilitude.

Like the rest of the sequence, it's the kind of thing that would only be plausible in a Bond film. As we've discussed before, Nolan's films aren't realistic. He himself has described them as "heightened reality", which is movie talk for presenting unrealistic things in a believable way, i.e. verisimilitude.
    No I'm referring to the blood transfusion bit. Would it be possible that the coroners would think the dead body is dr pavel after the little blood transfusion. Is that plausible in real life ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I very much doubt it; takes about 10 minutes just to extract the small amount the blood bank take from me - any more than that and people start to feel feint & is quite dangerous. The prologue had a few seconds of a quick tranfusion, which couldn't possibly have been enough.

Besides - without the heart pumping it around the body, surely transfusing blood into a dead corpse would just get very ... messy? Wouldn't the blood just swim around whatever arm you injected it in, leaving one very pink arm on an otherwise grey cadaver?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If they extracted those exact cells of blood then it would show up as somebody elde.

However, that would never happen.
    For a start, there are plenty of other points of DNA check. I don't know if they'd even use blood as an option. If they did, they might find some of the transfused blood mixed i, but the original blood would be a massive majority.

But surely the fact they were putting it into a dead body meant a transfusion was utterly useless anyway - to me that have been the kicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Mellor wrote: »
    For a start, there are plenty of other points of DNA check. I don't know if they'd even use blood as an option. If they did, they might find some of the transfused blood mixed i, but the original blood would be a massive majority.

Unless the substituted dead body was drained of blood completely before the rushed mid-air transfusion thus leaving only Dr. Pavel's blood available for checks. Also, with regard to the other DNA checks, it's possible that the body was so badly damaged (from the crash and/or explosion) that dental records and such would most likely be useless*.

*I'm not a medically certified professional, so this is all conjecture on my part:)

Advertisement