Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trailer/cradle for 23' keelboat

• 22-02-2012 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭

OK, this is a long, long shot - but nothing ventured, nothing gained, and all that.

We're on the hunt for a second-hand road trailer for our keelboat. It's a Hunter Sonata, so light (1.25 tonnes), 23 feet in length. At the moment it's sitting precariously on the total rustbucket that masqerades as our current trailer, and will be there until April 2013. The current one is in no way roadworthy, so we had to borrow a trailer to get the boat to its current location.

We had a bit of a look around previously, with no joy. There seem to be almost no trailers built up to take keelboats available second-hand, and the ones we did see were far too big and heavy for what we need.

The trailer would need to be clean, galvanised, braked, and roadworthy.

If we fail to find a trailer, then our second option is to buy a cradle, and just store the boat out of season at the club.

If anyone hears of any trailers for sale, or knows of where we could get a new/second-hand cradle for a good price, can you let me know?

Like I say, a long shot, but you never know.....

Ta muchly in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fergal.b wrote: »

That's not far off the price of a new one! (although we've had our fingers burned with a new one before, long story, so not going there if at all possible!).

However, might be worth a bit more investigation all the same.

Thanks for the link :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

lll pm you a number of a company in ringsend makes trailers from scratch to your specs fairly cheap aswell

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Just saw this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boatextras/3171063 If you haven't found anything yet.

Just saw this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boatextras/3171063 If you haven't found anything yet.

It's HUGE!!! Far to big for our little tub.

But hey, thanks for keeping an eye out, and posting the link.

We haven't even been looking tbh - we should, but we're awful last-minute merchants. We've another 18 months to find a trailer or cradle, so no panic just yet. Panic is for next October when she has to come out of the water and we've nothing to store her on :D

Thanks again though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Ooops ,, thanks fergal.

Thanks to you both! That looks like just the thing - and at that price we could even afford to get brakes fitted. I've emailed for more info.Fair play!!

Right, another question for all you knowledgable folks, if you don't mind....

We're more and more interested in that trailer (thanks for the link again!) - but it's just dawned on us that it's single-axle.

Our previous trailer, and all other trailers in DL that carry similar sized boats, are all double-axle.

Are there any issues or problems with single as opposed to double axle trailing? Is there a weight/length beyond which one should use a double-axle? Presumably the balance of the boat fore/aft is a lot more important on a single axle - how does one make sure that it's properly balanced???

The boat is 23' long, and weighs 1.25 tons (tonnes? is there a difference???)

There may be other issues with the trailer - it's not braked for a start - but before we haul ourselves all the way to Donegal to look at it, we'd just like to suss out the suitability of it first.

Many thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement

1) One of the big issues with a single axel is the boat has to be perfectly balanced if your boat is rear/nose heavy on that trailer you will find it very hard to load and unload from the car so I guess the only way you will know is by trying it while its in the sling and marking where she sits.

2) I think you will need brakes on the trailer to tow 1.25 ton + the trailer on the road unless you just use it as a launching trailer and get a good 4wd or tractor to pull it a short distance you might get away with it.

3) There should be a plate on the trailer saying what the axel can carry and with the new laws all trailers have to have them you could also look into getting another axle welded on maybe one with brakes if you will be on the road a lot.

Not much help but I think you will know yourself when you see it whether or not your willing to put your pride and joy on it and tow it on the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Tow

We had used a single axle trailer with a Puma 23 for almost 30 years (5 mile trip twice a year), and she is still using the same trailer to this day. The brakes on it were/are next to useless and any name plate had long fallen off. I think her weight exceed the current regulations for a single axle trailer.:rolleyes:
    Balance is important, you will need to have more weight on the front (but not too much), the last thing you will want is her tipping back. We had a wooden block the front of the keel would rest against which served to mark the correct balance point and stop her moving forward when breaking suddenly. You will also need to put blocks under the end of trailer before climbing up on her in case she tips back, we forgot that once.... when taking her out of the water.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Just said I'd update all you helpful folks - we're sorted at last! Got a trailer from davlacey's contact, fully galvanised and being altered to our specs and having brakes put on as we speak. Bargain of the century, we reckon :D

Thanks so much for all the tips and links and info - much appreciated.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    We're on the hunt for a second-hand road trailer for our keelboat. It's a Hunter Sonata, so light (1.25 tonnes), 23 feet in length. At the moment it's sitting precariously on the total rustbucket that masqerades as our current trailer, and will be there until April 2013. The current one is in no way roadworthy, so we had to borrow a trailer to get the boat to its current location.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That's not far off the price of a new one! (although we've had our fingers burned with a new one before, long story, so not going there if at all possible!).

However, might be worth a bit more investigation all the same.

Thanks for the link :)
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Our previous trailer, and all other trailers in DL that carry similar sized boats, are all double-axle.

is this the boat I think it is...? beginning with a "C" :P

alexlyons wrote: »
    is this the boat I think it is...? beginning with a "C" :P

Looks like we've been rumbled - small world!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I was wondering where you were!

alexlyons wrote: »
    I was wondering where you were!

Oh we're still around - just not on our own boat - for this year. We'll be back next season though!

Advertisement