Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone sitting BS2 Exams?

• 23-04-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey, anyone perhaps know much about the financial management module for bs2? Am completely screwed for this exam so have the next 4 weeks to really catch up. Have emailed the lecturer but he isn't too responsive to those who have not been attending all the lectures. Was actually going to these lectures a fair bit but just wasn't following it enough. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to tackle this one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sinn7

Hey you should really try doing the past exam papers cos they're pretty much what we're going to get. Be warned though, we didn't cover preference shares, how to calculate return on debt, the dividend growth model or backwards bond price.

If you're really stuck it might be an idea to try and have someone who went to lectures explain some of the examples to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Thanks Sinn, I have been doing a bit if work on it over the past week and have learned a few of the topics. Still a lot of study to do though for it though especially section 1. Can you just tell me (if you know) what is the story with the structure of the exam paper? With the long questions in section B & C I know we have to answer one from each but are there assigned topics to these sections? Like is Porfolio theory gonna be one question and NPV another question etc.? Sorry for all the questions.
    cheers

Yeah section B on the exam paper will only have questions relating the the 1st topic on Moodle (the presentation labelled as Section 1) which I think is mainly NPV style questions.

Section C will be a mixture of questions relating to Sections 2 & 3 on Moodle.

With section 3 you can skip slides 11-22 as he didn't cover them :D

sinn7 wrote: »
    Yeah section B on the exam paper will only have questions relating the the 1st topic on Moodle (the presentation labelled as Section 1) which I think is mainly NPV style questions.

Section C will be a mixture of questions relating to Sections 2 & 3 on Moodle.

With section 3 you can skip slides 11-22 as he didn't cover them :D

Many thanks! :)

Thanks for the tip. Just after realizing that the first section on the exam is worth 50% over all! This is the 10 questions. Just wondering what is the best way to prepare for this part? Is it just a mix of all 3 section including theory?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Actually have no idea there, sorry! I assume it's a mixture but he never mentioned it in the lectures

Actually have no idea there, sorry! I assume it's a mixture but he never mentioned it in the lectures

k thanks anyway, I assume its similar enough to previous years papers, which don't look too tough.

Yeah I'd say so although he didn't set last year's paper himself but he did set 07/08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Butters111

Hey

Anyone know why the equation formula page he put up for the exam only has three formula's? Do we not need everything else he had up there originally? like FV, WACC etc.? :confused:

I think we do but we have to learn them off. If you look back through the exam papers, last year had all the formulae (but he didn't set last year's paper) whereas the year before only had three or four (and that's the paper he set)

• Advertisement

Thanks! :)

Hey does anyone else think the structure of Industrial economics is a bit stupid? I mean there are 11 questions to learn, and only 1 of which we will need to answer. Also half of the entire marks are going for this essay alone so basically we have to know every question in depth in order to be able to write an actual essay one of two Q's coming up. So far I have about 7/11 answers done out but I can't find answers to about 3 of the rest. The MCQ section seems ok but sort of worried about which long questions come up on the paper.

Oh tell me about it! That is my most dreaded exam by far! Technically you can afford to leave out one of the essays cos it's a choice of two but yeah they're still really hard. A lot of mine I have an answer for the first part of the essay and the second part I have to come up with on the day cos I really have nothing!

yeah I think it would have been a lot better of he say put 4 Q's on paper and we had to answer 2 at 25% each. This way it would be a bit easier to cover yourself and make up marks rather than basing 50% of the entire module on one question alone. I dunno, just think its a bit of a weird structure. My plan is to just cover the ones I can do, and hope to try pick up a decent mark in the MCQ's (if they are similar to previous years, this shouldn't be tough). Can't see myself being confident in a full 10 Q's by next Friday so just gotta hope that one of my stronger Q's comes up. At least the toughest exam will be out of the way first I guess.
    GL

If you get really stuck for answers you shoul try asking around, I know some people have (supposedly) really good notes on them that they might share? I'd offer a look at mine but tbh I don't think they're good enough!

That 25% thing would be so much better but maybe not in the space of a two hour exam! I tend to find myself pretty pushed for time when writing essays

Its so much work! especially when you compare it to the likes of IR! I haven't got down to writing the essays yet :( does it take long to write each essay??

Butters111 wrote: »
    Its so much work! especially when you compare it to the likes of IR! I haven't got down to writing the essays yet :( does it take long to write each essay??

Yeah this module is definitely talking up the biggest amount of over all study for me, I haven't even looked at Org theory or Marketing yet but since they are heavily weighted towards CA, I'm not too worried about making up the pass grade. As for economics though, I'm not sure where people are getting full essay's from coz I just have bullet points and stuff, so I guess my plan is to just try and waffle out some sort of coherant answer. Some Q's are definitely much easier than others to write about, but I am finding a few of them tough. There are about 3 or 4 which I haven't been able to write anything about. I have emailed the lecturer though about so will post up any feedback I get. As for the MCQ's, they are very repetitive over the past few years so fingers crossed he didn't decide to change it up this year (like operations management back in January :mad:). I'll be happy to just get my 40% in this module as I find this subject extremely tedious! It actually makes me enjoy studying Financial mgt. :rolleyes:

Good luck getting a reply from him! He's the one who's always like, "I don't DO emails. There's too many of you". I doubt he'll change it up though, he said our MCQs would come from a bank of roughly 80 that he always uses.

Ah Financial Management, I actually almost enjoy studying that cos it's just doing questions rather than learning off lists of facts! Was trying to study Org Theory yesterday and I literally couldn't stop yawning! >.<

I doubt he'll change it up though, he said our MCQs would come from a bank of roughly 80 that he always uses. QUOTE]

Cool, I didn't know that, better get learning them all off so.

For the first question can we discuss Game Theory as an alternative approach even if its not directly a theory of IO?

• Advertisement

For the first question can we discuss Game Theory as an alternative approach even if its not directly a theory of IO?

For this question, I have Porters Diamond and Best's productivity triad as comparisons to SCP (dunno if these are even right). As far as I know game theory isn't exactly a broad framework but more a method that can be used to test other theories, so not sure if it would apply.

DeadMoney wrote: »
    For this question, I have Porters Diamond and Best's productivity triad as comparisons to SCP (dunno if these are even right). As far as I know game theory isn't exactly a broad framework but more a method that can be used to test other theories, so not sure if it would apply.

Yeah I have notes from that class and Porter's and Best's can be used to answer the question. Just there doesn't seem to be much on them in the book whcih is why it would be easier to talk about game theory I'd also written down that he said you could discuss game Theory though and then i read in the book that its more a method of testing as you said so not sure!!:(

Yeah I have notes from that class and Porter's and Best's can be used to answer the question. Just there doesn't seem to be much on them in the book whcih is why it would be easier to talk about game theory I'd also written down that he said you could discuss game Theory though and then i read in the book that its more a method of testing as you said so not sure!!:(

Yeah I'd say if you don't have a lot written for one of the alternatives you could probably (somehow) bring in how game theory could be used to test how good of an alternative it is or something. Anything to flesh that question out :P

How much are ye hoping to write for the essay question?

Depends on the essay really. My notes seem to be between 2 and 3 pages for most of them but that's bullet points so it's hard to tell how long it'd actually be

Yeah I have notes from that class and Porter's and Best's can be used to answer the question. Just there doesn't seem to be much on them in the book

Just going through that question now and there's stuff on Porter's diamond in Chapter 8 under (I think) clusters. I have it as part of my notes for Q8 anyway. Haven't come across an awful lot on Best's productivity triad though -.-'

Just going through that question now and there's stuff on Porter's diamond in Chapter 8 under (I think) clusters. I have it as part of my notes for Q8 anyway. Haven't come across an awful lot on Best's productivity triad though -.-'

Thanks I'll have a look! on a totally different subject does anyone know if, for IR we need to talk about the article he wrote for the Employment Relationship?

I'm not sure but I have a feeling we might. The lecture notes on it are pretty thin. Plus he said we should include "further reading"

I'm not sure but I have a feeling we might. The lecture notes on it are pretty thin. Plus he said we should include "further reading"

Yeah I am using the other reading about the employment relatioship for IR. I'd say this will be the best guide for covering a question on it.

• Advertisement

sorry goin back again to economics for the neoclassical and non neoclassical theory q, do you go into the neoclassical respones- managerial theory and principal agent theories etc. as well as all the non neoclassical theories? it just seems like a lot of info for one essay!?:confused:

Advertisement