Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many bass players here would play a 'Joey DeMaio' bass?

• 06-10-2008 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

For those who aren't familiar with this, Joey DeMaio is the bassist of Manowar. I'm having a hard time finding a good photo of his 'Demon II' bass, but you can see it in many youtube videos.

It's an instrument loosely based on the Rickenbacker 4001, but with a smaller body, four super hot pickups, one volume control, no tone controls, twin outputs (like the rick) and an ultra thin carbon fibre neck. The neck is the same width all the way down. The strings are very close together, and the instrument is not meant to be played fingerstyle.

Tone wise, it's naturally lacking some of the lower end of the spectrum, as it's not designed for thick strings. It's definitely aimed more at bass notes, as opposed to frequencies.

I'm sure everybody here would like to at least try out such an instrument, but could anyone see themselves using one on a regular basis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Like any of the ones on this page? http://www.dawksound.com/manowar.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I wouldn't play one. I don't care for Rickenbackers or basses designed to be like them and that neck pisses me off!
    Tone wise, it's naturally lacking some of the lower end of the spectrum, as it's not designed for thick strings. It's definitely aimed more at bass notes, as opposed to frequencies.

You do realise that you're contradicting yourself? :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, why do you ask? Are you working on building one or planning to sell one? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Like any of the ones on this page? http://www.dawksound.com/manowar.html
    Ah no, it's not featured on that page. As far as I know, he doesn't like people getting too close a look at it!
    You do realise that you're contradicting yourself? rolleyes.gif
    I hate that rolleyes thing goddangit! :pac:

All I meant was that thicker strings would produce more of the lower end freqs, whereas thinner ones would not. Sort of like the way when you change between neck and bridge pickup on your guitar, you are picking up different harmonics.

No I ain't building or selling. Just curious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

For those who aren't familiar with this, Joey DeMaio is the bassist of Manowar.

Only wimps and posers, my friend, would not be familiar with him.
    I'm having a hard time finding a good photo of his 'Demon II' bass, but you can see it in many youtube videos.

It's an instrument loosely based on the a Rickenbacker 4001, but with a smaller body, four super hot pickups, one volume control, no tone controls, twin outputs (like the rick) and an ultra thin carbon fibre neck. The neck is the same width all the way down. The strings are very close together, and the instrument is not meant to be played fingerstyle.

I'm sure everybody here would like to at least try out such an instrument, but could anyone see themselves using one on a regular basis?
    Joey gave up on proper bass as we know it near the late 80's. He's got his own style going on, wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but you can't argue with what he does. He's pretty much the lead instrument in Manowar and that instrument reflects that, it evolved over a long period of time from a 4001 into what he plays now.

Personally, I find it awkward to play anything less than 18mm spacing, I'm all about the fingers :D

Personally I prefer my basses to be ummmm bassy... :D

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote: »
    Only wimps and posers, my friend, would not be familiar with him.

True words brother, hail & kill! :p hehe
    Joey gave up on proper bass as we know it near the late 80's. He's got his own style going on, wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but you can't argue with what he does. He's pretty much the lead instrument in Manowar and that instrument reflects that, it evolved over a long period of time from a 4001 into what he plays now.

Personally, I find it awkward to play anything less than 18mm spacing, I'm all about the fingers :D
    Yeah I quite like it. He almost completely drowns out the others on some records, but it seems to work! Certainly makes for an instantly recognisable sound.

http://content.foto.mail.ru/mail/v.doronin/2/s-424.jpg

Good pic of bass (too big to post).

Another one:

JoeySign.jpg

Dord wrote:
    Personally I prefer my basses to be ummmm bassy... biggrin.gif
    Fair enough I suppose! :P

Ridiculous looking, and the bass is awful too! :P

Dord wrote: »
    Ridiculous looking, and the bass is awful too! :P

LOL! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

The neck is too small for me, but other than that I'd have no problem with one.

As for the light strings, I used to play with TI Jazz Rounds, .89 E string, so that wouldn't be any trouble either.

I'm assuming this one is tuned to standard bass, and not a picallo, like his SG with the Floyd Rose?

Darkstrike wrote: »
    The neck is too small for me, but other than that I'd have no problem with one.

As for the light strings, I used to play with TI Jazz Rounds, .89 E string, so that wouldn't be any trouble either.

I'm assuming this one is tuned to standard bass, and not a picallo, like his SG with the Floyd Rose?

Yeah, a step down. DGCF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

Cool, thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think it would probably suit a guitarist more than a bassist because of the string size and spacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

would i have to wear leather pants too?
    i'd find that weird...

Advertisement