Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raw chicken smells like fish - is it off?

• 02-04-2012 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Bought some raw chicken breasts from a new butchers shop that's opened up here (I'm in smalltown India) and when I took them home and opened the packaging the chicken smelled a bit like fish. I gave them a good wash under the tap but the smell lingered.

I'm wondering if this means the chicken is off, or whether it just means the chicken was chopped up on the fish counter in the shop (they have a fresh fish section)? No one in the shop speaks any English so I can't go back to ask. I've cooked two of the breasts really really well but am too scared to taste the meat yet - I've had food poisoning too many times here to take the risk without getting some advice.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i find non free range chicken fillets smell vile tbh. free range have a healthy fresh smell. with chicken if in doubt throw it out imho, not worth taking the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I wouldn't take the risk with chicken tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

India? I would guess its all chopped on the same board.
    Just cook it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Noting should smell of fish if its fresh, even fish itself
    Susie_Q wrote: »
    Bought some raw chicken breasts from a new butchers shop that's opened up here (I'm in smalltown India) and when I took them home and opened the packaging the chicken smelled a bit like fish. I gave them a good wash under the tap but the smell lingered.

I'm wondering if this means the chicken is off, or whether it just means the chicken was chopped up on the fish counter in the shop (they have a fresh fish section)? No one in the shop speaks any English so I can't go back to ask. I've cooked two of the breasts really really well but am too scared to taste the meat yet - I've had food poisoning too many times here to take the risk without getting some advice.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Really, you bought it, you saw the conditions of the premises, you can see it & smell it - how do you expect people several continents away to make a better call than you on the safety of consuming this?

We will not be responsible for you possibly eating dodgy produce.

Closed.

tHB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement