Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey: what does census religious identification mean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

It's a fairly thorough survey.

A huge drop in self identified Church of Scotland Members.

And quite a few who equate Christianity with being British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Oh my Dawkins, don't get me started.

I had all this arguments with my friends last census. They all though, despite not going to a church in years, not believing at all in any Christian denomination, that they should tick Catholic "Cause that is what I was baptized"

I tried to explain that that is not what the census question is asking, but they seemed to genuinely not understand what the heck they were being asked.

I blame the Catholic church and this idea that baptism is some how some sort of civil process rather than just your parent picking your religion for you. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Zombrex wrote: »
    I had all this arguments with my friends last census. They all though, despite not going to a church in years, not believing at all in any Christian denomination, that they should tick Catholic "Cause that is what I was baptized"

I tried to explain that that is not what the census question is asking, but they seemed to genuinely not understand what the heck they were being asked.
    What do you think the census question is asking?
    I blame the Catholic church and this idea that baptism is some how some sort of civil process rather than just your parent picking your religion for you. :P
    Mmm. The fact that this survey relates to the UK, and that most of the participants were people who identified as C of E, suggest that responsiblity for the phenomenon can't really be laid at the door of the Catholic church.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's asking what religion you are, not what religion you may have been once upon a time and subsequently rejected

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I suspect a lot of people approach census questions like some kind of Pascal's Wager.

They may be no-more Christian than I am, but they hesitate to tick anything else, just in case God is watching them while sharpening a stick with a knife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've had discussions with a few self-described Roman Catholic friends about this.

Despite the fact that they
    • Don't go to Mass
    • Don't recognise the authority of the Pope, or the RC church in general
    • Don't agree with the Church teachings on such things as contraception, divorce, euthanasia, homosexuality, sexual relations outside marriage, and a host of other social issues.
    • (Some) don't believe in the divinity of Jesus ("He was a wise teacher who said some good things" etc)
    • Don't believe in Transubstantiation
    • Etc., etc.

they still insist that they're Catholics. When I suggest that the Church or Ireland, or even Unitarianism, might be more in line with their beliefs, they balk at the notion of being "Protestants".

As has been discussed here before, it's a cultural, rather than ideological, identity. Which is fine for the individuals concerned. My only problem with it is when public policy is based upon confusing cultural identity with ideology ("We're a Catholic country. Of course we need an Embassy in the Vatican/Church controlled schools and hospitals/Church influenced sex education, etc.")

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

phutyle wrote: »
    I've had discussions with a few self-described Roman Catholic friends about this.

Despite the fact that they
    • Don't go to Mass
    • Don't recognise the authority of the Pope, or the RC church in general
    • Don't agree with the Church teachings on such things as contraception, divorce, euthanasia, homosexuality, sexual relations outside marriage, and a host of other social issues.
    • (Some) don't believe in the divinity of Jesus ("He was a wise teacher who said some good things" etc)
    • Don't believe in Transubstantiation
    • Etc., etc.

they still insist that they're Catholics. When I suggest that the Church or Ireland, or even Unitarianism, might be more in line with their beliefs, they balk at the notion of being "Protestants".

As has been discussed here before, it's a cultural, rather than ideological, identity. Which is fine for the individuals concerned. My only problem with it is when public policy is based upon confusing cultural identity with ideology ("We're a Catholic country. Of course we need an Embassy in the Vatican/Church controlled schools and hospitals/Church influenced sex education, etc.")
    This is the problem. It would be interesting to see how many of these "catholics" there were knocking around if there was a church tax like they have in Germany.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

If a similar poll was commissioned to test the rationality beliefs of atheists one wonders the results, or would Richard Dawkins be so quick to publish how the brights do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

One isn't required to be (a) bright, or even rational to be an atheist.

So no.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Conducting a survey on April 1st?

Fools!

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    If a similar poll was commissioned to test the rationality beliefs of atheists one wonders the results, or would Richard Dawkins be so quick to publish how the brights do.
    :rolleyes: Troll FAIL.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Dades wrote: »
    One isn't required to be (a) bright, or even rational to be an atheist.

So no.

Absolutely, there are all sorts of irrational atheists out there.
    I myself became an atheist by collecting twelve crisp packets:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I believe in the teachings of this religion - 28%
    Sums it up really, 72% Christians who aren't actually Christian.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

The purpose of the question was to identify the possible need for non catholic schools

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dades wrote: »
    They may be no-more Christian than I am, but they hesitate to tick anything else, just in case God is watching them while sharpening a stick with a knife.

Why would he need a sharp stick if he had a knife? Wait, why would he need to sharpen the stick anyway, couldn't he just magic one up out of nothing? But what does he need the stick for anyway, can't he just use the Force? And so on.

nesf wrote: »
    Why would he need a sharp stick if he had a knife? Wait, why would he need to sharpen the stick anyway, couldn't he just magic one up out of nothing? But what does he need the stick for anyway, can't he just use the Force? And so on.
    He may engage in stick sharpening as a kind of hobby, or perhaps to look menacing.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Peregrinus wrote: »
    What do you think the census question is asking?

What do you currently believe. The census is a snapshot of the country on the day it is taken. They don't give a hoot what you believed when you were 6 months old :)
    Mmm. The fact that this survey relates to the UK, and that most of the participants were people who identified as C of E, suggest that responsiblity for the phenomenon can't really be laid at the door of the Catholic church.

I was talking about Ireland but I'm happy to extend the blame to all Christianity if you are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

MrPudding wrote: »
    He may engage in stick sharpening as a kind of hobby, or perhaps to look menacing.

MrP

I find it comforting to know our alleged lord has a hobby. Even if it's a rubbish one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

MrPudding wrote: »

MrP

So God is Daryl in The Walking Dead? Does he also wear a necklace made of zombie ears?

muppeteer wrote: »
    Absolutely, there are all sorts of irrational atheists out there.

Indeed, a friend of mine is a bonnafide atheist but also believes in ancient astronaut theory, that the moon landing was a hoax and the Mayan Doomsday Prophecy conspiracy.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    So God is Daryl in The Walking Dead? Does he also wear a necklace made of zombie ears?
    Wrong way round, Daryl is god.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Galvasean wrote: »
    [...] Mayan Doomsday Prophecy conspiracy.
    Ah, but will he be like that next year too?

robindch wrote: »
    Ah, but will he be like that next year too?

Like most Doomsday prophets he'll probably move the decimal point and carry on regardless.

Couple of thoughts.

1. The survey refutes conclusively the suggestion that those who tick one of the denominational boxes on the census form are mostly orthodox and observant members of the denomination that they tick. The survey does this for the UK but we would all expect a similar result in Ireland.

But I’m not sure that that’s such a big thing. I mean, we pretty well knew this already, didn’t we? Is anybody, on any side of church-state debates, going to be surprised at this finding? It’s not as though there were powerful forces lined up arguing that everyone who ticks, e.g., “Catholic” is a faithful and observant Catholic. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that argument advanced. So, to some extent, the survey may be attacking a straw man.

2. Phutyle suggests, in post #7, that census religious identification is a cultural identification rather than an ideological one. I think he’s right, and this survey shows that he is right.

3. Zombrex thinks, in post #18, that the census is asking what people believe (currently, rather than in childhood). I think he’s wrong. The question is simply “what is your religion?”; it’s up to the individual to decide whether he bases his religious identification on belief or on some other factor or on a range of factors. The survey suggests that most people in fact don’t base their identification largely or entirely on belief. That doesn’t make their answers “wrong”. On the principle that what you believe is not the state’s business, I’m inclined to think - or, at least, hope - that they are more likely to be correct in their approach to answering this question, and Zombrex is wrong. ("Correct" in the sense that their approach is meaningful and relevant, having regard to the state's purposes in asking the question.)

4. loconnor1001, in post 15, suggests that “the purpose of the census question was to identify the possible need for non-catholic schools”.

The UK Office for National Statistics has commented on the reasons for asking the question. When they consulted about the contents of the 2011 Census questionnaire, all their users (central and national government; experts, community and special interest groups; local and regional government; local service providers) wanted the form to include information on relation. A number of reasons were offered:

- Policy delivery, including meeting statutory requirements under the Race Relations Act
    - Resource allocation and service provision
    - Providing a clearer view of society and gaining a better understanding of certain ethnic groups.

The strongest demand was from local and regional government (91% of responders said that they required census information on religion). Given that in the UK it is local governments which provide housing, education and social services, this is unsurprising. It ties in with loconnor1001’s suggestion that the information is used to plan the provision of schools, etc.

5. This again suggests that Zombrex’s view that the question is about belief is probably wrong or, at least, oversimplified. Whether parents want to send their children to, e.g., a Catholic schools is probably not closely related to whether they profess, e.g., a faith in the dogma of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, or whether they are orthodox in their beliefs generally, or whether they go regularly to mass. There’ll be a better correlation (though not a perfect one, by any means) with whether they identify culturally as Catholics.

6. The survey isn’t all good news for Richard Dawkins. Only 6% of the survey population (that’s all Britons, not just Britons who ticked a religious denomination) were prepared to say “I don’t believe in God”. Even if we throw in all the don’t-knows, none-of-the-aboves and prefer-not-to-answers, it still only comes to 13%. 87% of the population professed a belief in some form of God, supernatural intelligence or creator. And this ties in with 12% who, in answer to a different question, were prepared to say “I wouldn’t really call myself religious at all”. (This figure rises to 15% when you add in the don’t-knows, none-of-the-aboves and prefer-not-to-answers.)

This is striking, because 33% of respondents said that they either did tick the “no religion” box in the census form, or would have ticked it if they had filled out the form themselves (37% if we include the don’t-knows and prefer-not-to-says). Yet, when this survey scrutinize their beliefs, it turns out that probably only a third of these, at most, are unbelievers.

In other words, just as the proportion of respondents ticking the demoninational box overstates commitment to a denominational position, so the proportion of respondents ticking the no religion/no answer boxes overstates commitment to atheist/agnostic positions - if anything, this survey suggests, by an even greater degree.

The real distortion in the census may not be that the religious are overcounted and the irreligious are undercounted. The distortion may in fact come from treating the religion question as an enquiry about belief, and then identifying people's beliefs as theist or atheist/agnostic depending on how the answer it. What this survyey suggests is that, if you do this, you will overcount those of theistic belief signficantly - but you will overcount those of atheistic/agnostic belief even more signficantly. There's a large middle ground whose beliefs are neither conventionally (i.e. denominationally) religious nor conventionally irreligious, and they're being slotted into one category or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

6. The survey isn’t all good news for Richard Dawkins. Only 6% of the survey population (that’s all Britons, not just Britons who ticked a religious denomination) were prepared to say “I don’t believe in God”.

I Think you may have picked this up wrong, as all the survey results are based on those who identified themselves a Christian on the census, not all Britons.
    Unless otherwise stated, the results are based on 1,136 responses on a face-to-face survey conducted with those who say they were recorded as Christian in the 2011 Census, or would have recorded themselves as Christian in the 2011 Census.
    Page one.

As for why people ticked the Christian box Q5 seems to answer that most clearly
    Q5. What would you say is the MAIN reason you think of yourself or the person who completed the Census thinks of you as being of this religion?
    with 46% answering
    I was christened/baptised into this religion
    and only 18%
    I believe in the teachings of this religion
    The only other large groupings are because their parents where Christian 13% or that they went to Sunday school 8%.
    All of which suggests that most think that they answered Christian because of their own history not their current beliefs. Unfortunately the survey doesn't have a question on whether or not they would want to send their kids to a Christian school(which seems to be the main reason you suggest that state services want the religion question asked).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

3. Zombrex thinks, in post #18, that the census is asking what people believe (currently, rather than in childhood). I think he’s wrong. The question is simply “what is your religion?”; it’s up to the individual to decide whether he bases his religious identification on belief or on some other factor or on a range of factors.

So if the census asks for my age I don't put down my actual age, I put down the age I most identify with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Oh my Dawkins, don't get me started.

I hear you!
    I had the exact same experience when a family member filled out my details on the census form and ticked me as Catholic. The same family member insisted that be cause I was baptised I had to tick that box.:mad:

I corrected it and ticked "No Religion".

I Think you may have picked this up wrong, as all the survey results are based on those who identified themselves a Christian on the census, not all Britons.
    Page one.
    You’re quite right. My apologies.
    I was misled by the statement on page 2 that the base for question 19 (and others) was “all respondents (1,136)”. You have to go back to page 1 to find that the 1.136 figure isn’t actually “all respondents”. A total of 2.107 people responded; 1,136 is the subset of those respondents who say they were recorded as Christian in the census, or would have been, if they had answered the question.
    As for why people ticked the Christian box Q5 seems to answer that most clearly
    with 46% answering and only 18%
    I think you need to take 3 and 5 together, actually. Both questions offer the same range of options, but in 3 you can choose all that you think are relevant to you, while in 5 you can just choose one.
    The only other large groupings are because their parents where Christian 13% or that they went to Sunday school 8%.
    All of which suggests that most think that they answered Christian because of their own history not their current beliefs.
    It’s clear that heritage plays a large part in religious identification. My point is, we knew that already. This is not a surprising result.
    Unfortunately the survey doesn't have a question on whether or not they would want to send their kids to a Christian school(which seems to be the main reason you suggest that state services want the religion question asked).
    No, loconnor1001 suggested that as the main reason. The Office of National Statistics suggests that users want religious data for broader reasons, which include but are certainly not limited to school provision.

So if the census asks for my age I don't put down my actual age, I put down the age I most identify with?

No. But, then, age is neither a cultural artefact nor a communal identification. Religion is both.

If you’re asked your religion, you put down your religion. If, for you, religion is a matter of belief, then your religious identification will (presumably) be driven largely or entirely by your beliefs. That’s a decision you get to make for yourself.

But you don’t get to make it for other people. The authority claimed by Pope Mark Hamill may be extensive, but it’s not that extensive. They, not you, get to determine their religious identification, and the basis on which it is formed. The state’s interest is in knowing what religion they think they are, not what religion you think they are.

(Interestingly, if you do choose to base religious identity largely or entirely on belief, you’ve adopted a very Protestant approach to the question of what religion is. A Jew, for example, would look at you blankly if you suggested that. Any particular reason why an atheist should adopt a Protestant understanding of religion, or expect the rest of the world to do likewise?)

• Advertisement

It’s not as though there were powerful forces lined up arguing that everyone who ticks, e.g., “Catholic” is a faithful and observant Catholic. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that argument advanced. So, to some extent, the survey may be attacking a straw man.

That Stand Up Ireland group were very quick to say how over 80% of Irish people were Catholics, implying that said 80 odd percent wanted the Vatican embassy reopened (I apologize as I'm sure we're all sick to death of this being used as an example all the time, but it's just one that springs to mind).

Advertisement