Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Coupon Chat Only]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Binka wrote: »
    I'd be up for that! Who would we target first?

If we were to do this... would we be better off to use some sort of email letter template that we could all use and just insert our name at the bottom? ...or should we just send off an email in our own words?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Access wrote: »
    If we were to do this... would we be better off to use some sort of email letter template that we could all use and just insert our name at the bottom? ...or should we just send off an email in our own words?

Good point, Access. I'm not sure which would be the better option. Does anyone on here have any experience in a campaign of this sort?

Would manufacturers respond better to seemingly individual requests or would they feel more under pressure from requests from an organised campaign, more like a petition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

imfml wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just back from holidays, and having gotten involved in the couponing thread a couple of months ago, I'm very impressed to see a new forum, a newspaper article and alot of interest on my return!! Well done :)

I have been searching high and low on the internet to contribute here, but I can't find anything new to ad. I have also been in touch with Centra customer service about my local store not accepting a Goodfellas coupon, hopefully they will change their policy, until then, Tesco are great for taking them, and at self check out it's so quick and easy to scan coupons without causing anyone a delay.

Perhaps we should get organised, and as a group all email one or two companies per week and ask for coupons. If we all emailed the same company/ies on the same weeks, & they receive 100+ emails or so in a week, they would take notice, and perhaps issue a coupon for a month or so for Boarders!?

An idea might be to start with Irish companies, making products which no coupons exist for, e.g. C&C or TK for fizzy drinks, or Shellfish De La Mer for seafood. Just an idea, any thoughts?

Hope this chat forum lives long and thanks for the logs too, good for ideas!

This is a good idea and I would take part, in case.

Maybe a message that is the same or similar for any and all of the "partecipants" would have more impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

I'm guessing a standard, short email from everyone willing to send one might have the most effect.

If anyone had time to quickly draft one, all we would need to do is decide which company to try first, and hopefully eventually get a positive response!

If we sent our first emails next Monday, we could even run a quick poll on who people want to try, I'd like to see Chivers or Shellfish De Le Mer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Maybe instead of asking for a coupon, we should ask them to reduce the price of the product for everyone? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Well, this is a couponing thread in the coupon forum... If we managed to get the ball rolling on that, we'd be doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

I don't think this is a good idea in practice - in Theory it's wonderful, but it's one thing an occasional person emailing looking for coupons, if it was my product & I suddenly got 50+ emails asking for them, I'd immediately be suspicious (not to mention annoyed). I'd be sending anything like that to the spam folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

Consider for a moment Why do companies give out coupons?

http://financialedge.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0911/Why-Do-Companies-Print-Coupons.aspx#axzz1lnJ3WQhV Article below

To Get Consumers' Attention
    By emailing them we show that we already have their attention.

To Buy Loyalty
    You cannot get Brand loyalty from coupon users. When the coupon stops we immediately move to a cheaper brand or preferably one that also has a coupon.

To Get Repeat Business
    Coupon Users are notorious for hoarding products. We will buy in bulk during the coupon period so we won't be back when the coupon period is over.

There are many reasons why Companies issue coupons.
    I don't think that one of them will be because a large group of avid Coupon Users ask for them.
    However I would be happy to go along with the idea as I can't see much harm in it.
    Why Do Companies Print Coupons?

If you've ever watched the TV show Extreme Couponing or read about a customer who got $200 worth of groceries for next to nothing, you've probably wondered what's in it for the manufacturers and stores who offer these coupons. Are they actually making money in the process, or are customers getting away with legalized robbery?
    The truth is that coupons create a win-win situation for both companies and consumers. Manufacturers and stores are benefiting from coupons. If they weren't, they wouldn't issue them or accept them. To find out how they benefit, let's examine some of the reasons why companies offer coupons.

To Get Consumers' Attention
    According to the Food Marketing Institute, the average supermarket carried 38,718 items in 2010. Out of thousands of products, companies need a way to steer consumers toward their product instead of a competitor's, and a coupon can help an item stand out. If you have a coupon for a specific brand of paper towels, for example, it will probably be the first brand you'll check the price on among the ten different brands in the paper towel aisle.

To Advertise a New Product
    Consumers need to be enticed to take a chance on a new product, especially price-sensitive, coupon-using shoppers. A company could advertise its new product by offering free samples, but instead of spending money both on the product itself and on getting the product into consumers' homes, it could offer a tempting, high-value coupon and actually make a sale. If the consumer likes the new product enough, they may buy it at full price in the future when introductory coupons are no longer available.

To Buy Loyalty
    Numerous factors go into getting and retaining customers: merely offering a bargain price or a superior product isn't always enough. When a store or manufacturer provides a coupon, the discount generates goodwill and brand/store loyalty. Think about how you feel when you get a coupon from your favorite store in the mail, doesn't it make you feel like the company values your business and wants to keep you as a customer?

To Get Repeat Business
    Some promotions require consumers to use a reward on their next visit to the store. Such coupons draw customers into the store once to buy something and get a coupon, and again to buy something else and use the coupon.
    For example, a recent Albertsons' grocery store promotion gave customers a coupon for $10 off their next visit when they purchased $100 in qualifying gift cards. Even if the customer did the bare minimum and walked out with $10 in free groceries on the follow-up visit, that customer might be more likely to come back in the future after having gained some familiarity with the store when they did their coupon shopping. Other customers will spend beyond the coupon limit, so the store might profit from the promotion right away. Also, the promotion notified customers that Albertsons is a place where they can buy gift cards, which means that the store might gain business the next time that customer wants to purchase a gift card.

To Target Their Marketing Efforts
    To get the best discounts at most major grocery store chains, customers must sign up for a store loyalty card and have the cashier scan it each time they make a purchase. In exchange for giving customers lower prices, companies get detailed information about the card user's buying behavior. What days and times does he or she visit the store? How much does he or she spend per trip? How often does he or she shop? What does he or she buy? Does he or she only buy things that are on sale? Does he or she always use coupons?
    Companies can use this valuable information in their decisions about what products to carry, what prices to set, what to put on sale, how much of a discount to offer and more. This information also helps companies with targeted marketing efforts.
    "Retailers are able to market to us much less expensively when they offer promotional programs that entice us to share our personal information with them," says Stephanie Nelson, founder of CouponMom.com.
    When companies know what you buy thanks to store loyalty cards, they can save money on marketing costs while sending you offers you're more likely to use. Instead of sending a coupon for diapers to every household in a nearby zip code, the store can send diaper coupons only to customers who have purchased diapers in the past.

This is a good idea and I would take part, in case.

Maybe a message that is the same or similar for any and all of the "partecipants" would have more impact?

Isnt that what i said above? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I've asked Old El Paso - Mexican foods and they ignored me, I e-mailed them again and asked them and I'll let yis know what comes of it.

• Advertisement

imfml wrote: »
    we could even run a quick poll on who people want to try, I'd like to see Chivers or Shellfish De Le Mer!

Would it not be better to target the staples of everyones weekly shop first?

The bread/butter/milk/breakfast cereal companies to start off with?

I am gone off the idea now of us all bombarding companies with multiple emails at the same time as we could wreck it for ourselves in the future!

If we targeted using a pre worded single email along the lines of.... (this is only a rough edit)

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are writing to you as members of the couponing forum on the Boards.ie website.

We are a group of 100 members approximately and to date, we have had 308,000 individual page views since the end of may 2011

(going on view figures of old couponing thread)

We are currently in the process of sourcing new coupons for products that might be in your range and we were wondering if your company would be interested in help out with this request?

I need not tell you of the amount of possible extra sales this would mean for your company for any product in your range that you would be able to furnish us with a coupon for.

Regards,

Members of the Couponing Forum @ Boards.ie

Again, this would be a rough edit and this would mean that only one email would need to be sent off to whatever company.

Single would be better, but the phrase: "I need not tell you of the amount of possible extra sales this would mean for your company for any product in your range that you would be able to furnish us with a coupon for." Shouldn't be in it.

Simple fact is it's going to work out at about 100 or so extra sales (maybe 200 or 300). It's not a lot on a national level. It's also very hit & miss, these people in charge of products all know each other (not everyone but you know what I mean). By doing something like this it could put them off offering coupons.

I think it would be better to let them know that there's a growing coupon - what's the right word? "Lifestyle" (?), getting stronger all the time here. That more coupons in the market would be appreciated, that they'd be supported here, rather than outright ask them for some.

From my experience, Coupons are something that's planned months in advance & any they send you if you write to them are some that are stuffed in the manager's drawer from the last time. They have to plan how much they spend & when they spend it on marketing & coupons are part of that plan.

If we let them know that they would appreciated if they started issuing them as a more regular part of their marketing, we may start to see more filter through in the coming months.

As a separate thing. I called Glanbia last week to complain about some milk we bought going off days ahead of it's BBF date. I just opened an envelope with 3 x €5 coupons off any avonmore product. They needed to know the store we bought the milk & the production number on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭purplestar77

gremha wrote: »
    I think it would be better to let them know that there's a growing coupon - what's the right word? "Lifestyle" (?), getting stronger all the time here. That more coupons in the market would be appreciated, that they'd be supported here, rather than outright ask them for some.

From my experience, Coupons are something that's planned months in advance & any they send you if you write to them are some that are stuffed in the manager's drawer from the last time. They have to plan how much they spend & when they spend it on marketing & coupons are part of that plan.

If we let them know that they would appreciated if they started issuing them as a more regular part of their marketing, we may start to see more filter through in the coming months.

I agree - something like ..............there's a growing coupon culture (?) out there with Irish consumers looking for ways to save on their shopping while still being able to buy their favourite brands.

Another way to do it would be to contact companies to ask if they promote special offers on their products website, newsletter or facebook page, as you want to be "the first to know" about any new products or offers they may have coming up. I think there's possibly as many product coupons offered on FB as on pigsback these days. It would be beneficial to them if a whole bunch of people are subscribing to their newsletter or FB page, cos they can get to us by direct marketing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I am in for collective mail or/and collective mailing. Still think that more mails=more voice for us, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 asmum

I agree with Gremha...That more coupons in the market would be appreciated and that they'd be supported here, rather than outright ask them for some.
    I really think that this is the route to take and wait and see what way it transpires over the coming months...as i do believe that no company is going to say" oh well we've got an email from 100+ people who would like them..get some issued so"...
    All the points made by brian_t are very valid on behalf of companies therefore i think Access's suggestion of a single email though reworded as Gremha suggested above is the best route!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »
    I've asked Old El Paso - Mexican foods and they ignored me, I e-mailed them again and asked them and I'll let yis know what comes of it.

Here is the response I got !!

Dear X

Thank you for taking the time to contact our company.

We welcome your comments and are pleased that you are interested in our products. As a result of the numerous requests we receive for vouchers or samples we are unable to fulfill your request.

We do, however, appreciate your enthusiastic endorsement and hope you will continue to use and enjoy our products.

Yours sincerely,

Name withheld

Consumer Relations

Ref: 2012/02/0

Consumer Services

So we want you to continue buying our products but we aren't giving you any money off coupons, In other words, GET LOST :rolleyes: :(

This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps it would be worth pointing out the recent feature in the Times and that it is a rapidly growing trend here and to somehow point out that we would prefer to carry on using our favourite branded goods rather than be forced into buying cheaper supermarket own label brands. After all it is becoming harder and harder to budget each week and justify buying some of these brands. Hopefully brand loyalty counts for something.

This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps it would be worth pointing out the recent feature in the Times and that it is a rapidly growing trend here and to somehow point out that we would prefer to carry on using our favourite branded goods rather than be forced into buying cheaper supermarket own label brands. After all it is becoming harder and harder to budget each week and justify buying some of these brands. Hopefully brand loyalty counts for something.

A lot of the "own brand" products are made by the manufacturers of branded products. It would be best not to imply that these were somehow inferior quality.

List of companies who make Supermarket OWN BRANDS

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70930797

brian_t wrote: »
    A lot of the "own brand" products are made by the manufacturers of branded products. It would be best not to imply that these were somehow inferior quality.

List of companies who make Supermarket OWN BRANDS

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70930797

That's an interesting list and I get your point brian _t, but reading further on in that thread it's clear that it is not neccessarily that same standard of product re nutrional values, ingredients, sugar content and fat types etc. I'm sure the manufacturers know and admit this. Otherwise nobody would buy big brand products. They want us to buy the higher quality product too.

donnacha wrote: »
    so were any of ye on the tom dunne show earlier? he was doing a slot of couponing but I missed it ...

Tom Dunne Newstalk Today

There was someone on Tubridy today talking about it too. The revolution has begun !!!

• Advertisement

They want us to buy the higher quality product too.

No they don't - not if you can't afford to. Thats why they make the cheaper "own brand" stuff.

Manufacturers will not give out coupons as a way of subsidizing their produce for the less well off.
    They are not charities.

Hate to be a pedant about it, but it's been bugging me for a while, Could someone change the thread title to be just something like "Coupon Chat" ?

(I don't have OCD, I have CDO - all the letters in the right order the way they should be!!)

Hate to be a pedant about it, but it's been bugging me for a while, Could someone change the thread title to be just something like "Coupon Chat" ?

I second this - the title is somewhat cumbersome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

brian_t wrote: »
    I second this - the title is somewhat cumbersome.

Report a post to let us know rather than posting on thread as we might not see it. Title edited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

This is becoming addictive!! in the last few days Ive bought 10 bottles of Woolite, 10 bottles of Persil and got 5 bottles of comfort vaporess :pac::pac:

In the past I would have been to afraid to hand over so many vouchers but now I cant go shopping without them and checking here first !

Thank you fellow couponers for all the advice and information you have provided the last few months Im saving a fortune :pac:

Im still searching for coupons to share here but I'm having no luck atm finding them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 monastill

I stocked up on the woolite yesterday in Newbridge. All the colours and three types of Persil available and salmonella corner was the stocked to unbelievable levels. Got ironing water too. Had no problem handing in all the coupons. Thank you to those of you who post them and make our budgets go further......

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Palane

Did you buy all the same type of products in one go or did you do separate transactions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'm a regular user of coupons mainly pigsback and I stay within the guidelines. When I use the self-service till in Tesco the machine freezes if I use over two coupons - just me or anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Palane

I keep to two coupons per transaction so I dont need the supervisor to come over. But tonight I had 13 different transactions. At the moment with the Comfort coupon vapouresse is free & you get a 26c credit so get another non coupon item & the 26c credit comes off your total. I wasn't cheeky enough to see would they gave me the 26c back.

• Advertisement

deelite wrote: »
    I'm a regular user of coupons mainly pigsback and I stay within the guidelines. When I use the self-service till in Tesco the machine freezes if I use over two coupons - just me or anybody else.

I think it's the same for everyone using the self-service.

The assistant will flash their code and pass it for you. If you are using more then 3 or 4 coupons I think it's quicker to use a manned check-out.

Advertisement