Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy plain (distilled?) vinegar?

• 25-04-2008 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Since moving here from Canada almost 5 years ago, I've seen a bunch of different kind of vinegars at the supermarket: malt, apple cider, red wine, white wine, .... the list is endless.

But does anyone know where I can get plain, unflavoured vinegar? Basically this stuff: http://www.heinzvinegar.com/vinegars/whitevinegar.aspx

Help! Please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the supermarkets I go to mainly which would be Dunne's and Tesco. It doesn't seem very common though. I've got a big bottle I bought before I moved here, which I mainly use for cleaning purposes (cleaning mirrors and windows!) than cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Alun wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the supermarkets I go to mainly which would be Dunne's and Tesco. It doesn't seem very common though. I've got a big bottle I bought before I moved here, which I mainly use for cleaning purposes (cleaning mirrors and windows!) than cooking.

Yeah, we use it for cleaning at home too :) But it's also just what I consider plain, basic vinegar and useful for a vinaigrette base.

Haven't seen it in Tesco at Clare Hall or Artane Castle; maybe I should try Dunne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is widely available in any supermarkets that I'd go to (SuperValu, Dunne's, etc.). Sarson's is probably the most common brand.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    It is widely available in any supermarkets that I'd go to (SuperValu, Dunne's, etc.). Sarson's is probably the most common brand.

Saron's, eh? Ok I will definitely check this weekend :) Thanks!

Btw, is it with all the 'other' vinegars or somewhere strange?

casper- wrote: »
    Btw, is it with all the 'other' vinegars or somewhere strange?
    Yes, usually with the other vinegars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

AFAIK, Sarson's is a distiilled malt vinegar, which (if memory serves) isn't quite the same as so-called 'white' vinegar.

I could be completely wrong, though.

bonkey wrote: »
    AFAIK, Sarson's is a distiilled malt vinegar, which (if memory serves) isn't quite the same as so-called 'white' vinegar.

You are :D They do both ...

http://www.premierfoods.co.uk/our-brands/sarsons_home.cfm

The distilled / white variety is the norm in Scottish fish and chip shops, so I guess they're catering for that market primarily.

Sarson's do both. The distilled variety usually comes in a larger bottle without a 'pourer', clear glass bottle with a blue label. Available in the tear-drop bottle too (see below).

brand_pic_sarsons.jpg

The pic is if malt vinegar (on the left) and what I think is distilled malt vinegar (on the right).

White vinegar is something different again....but if what you're saying is correct, then they do that too, as a third offering?

The OP asked about "plain, unflavoured" vinegar, which is what distilled malt vinegar is. What is the difference between that & "white vinegar"?

• Advertisement

As far as I know, malt vinegar and distilled/white vinegar are two totally different things made using two totally diferent processes. I can't imagine what "distilled malt vinegar" might be other than distilled vinegar with malt and/or colourings added to mimic true malt vinegar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar#White

EDIT: Maybe "distilled malt vinegar" is the "non-brewed condiment" referred to in the above article?

OP - Try the 'colourless' Sarson's Vinegar & see if it anything like the vinegar you had back home.

As I understand it...

Distilled malt vinegar is exactly what it says. Its a distillate of malt vinegar (i.e. malt vinegar, which has then been distilled). The distillation process removes the colouring and changes the flavour (removes some of it, to be honest) . It is, therefore, a distillate of malt vinegar.

White vinegar is typically a distillate of ethyl alcohol. with water added. The ethyl alcohol in turn is typically made from corn or unmalted grain. It is, to a certain extent, little more than dilute acetic acid. It is, quite literally, the cheapest of the cheap.

As I said, though, I could be completely wrong.

Ok, just so we're all on the same page :)

distilled malt vinegar != white (plain, distilled) vinegar

Hill Billy's picture is malt vinegar and distilled malt vinegar.

Alun: are you sure that the distilled vinegar listed here (http://www.premierfoods.co.uk/our-brands/sarsons_home.cfm) is not distilled malt vinegar? :)

As I understand it...

Distilled malt vinegar is exactly what it says. Its a distillate of malt vinegar (i.e. malt vinegar, which has then been distilled). The distillation process removes the colouring and changes the flavour (removes some of it, to be honest) . It is, therefore, a distillate of malt vinegar.

White vinegar is typically a distillate of ethyl alcohol. with water added. The ethyl alcohol in turn is typically made from corn or unmalted grain. It is, to a certain extent, little more than dilute acetic acid. It is, quite literally, the cheapest of the cheap.

As I said, though, I could be completely wrong.

Yes - it's definitely cheap. But it's one of those things that when you acquire the taste for it as a child, it's hard to let go of. And unfortunately distilled malt vinegar doesn't taste (or smell) like 'white' vinegar.

casper- wrote: »
    Ok, just so we're all on the same page :)

distilled malt vinegar != white (plain, distilled) vinegar

Hill Billy's picture is malt vinegar and distilled malt vinegar.

Alun: are you sure that the distilled vinegar listed here (http://www.premierfoods.co.uk/our-brands/sarsons_home.cfm) is not distilled malt vinegar? :)

You know, I'm actually not sure any more :D

It's all a bit confusing. I have to confess I always believed that white vinegar was always the "industrial" variety created by the process described in the wiki article, but it would appear I was wrong.

The white vinegar I have is definitely of this variety, and I bought it in Holland when I lived there. IIRC I bought it from the household cleaners section not the food one, so there's no way I'd use it as a foodstuff.

So, what's the difference between unadulterated malt vinegar and the distilled stuff, apart from the colour? I've never tasted it myself .. if I make a bog standard vinaigrette I always use white wine vinegar.

So, what's the difference between unadulterated malt vinegar and the distilled stuff, apart from the colour?
    I find the distilled one to be slightly sharper, and to have a less "round" flavour. I guess you could say its less malty, but not entirely "malty-less".
    I've never tasted it myself .. if I make a bog standard vinaigrette I always use white wine vinegar.
    I use (undistilled) malt vinegar on chips....if my wife will share with me. She's a fiend for the stuff.

I used to use the distilled stuff for some dishes, mostly because its the taste I originally acquired, but mostly now I don't use it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

White vinegar isn't common here at all,

The confusion in the earlier posts didn't really help.
    In fact the title didn't help, the op asked for white (distilled) vinegar, they are two different things, made from maize and barley respectively

Malt is best imo anyway, although I never have white (as in actualt white, not distilled)

Mellor wrote: »
    White vinegar isn't common here at all,

The confusion in the earlier posts didn't really help.
    In fact the title didn't help, the op asked for white (distilled) vinegar, they are two different things, made from maize and barley respectively

Malt is best imo anyway, although I never have white (as in actualt white, not distilled)

I apologise for the confusion. I thought that what we called white (or white distilled) vinegar might just be called 'distilled' vinegar here. Again, I'll have to point you to the reference material for this stuff:

http://www.heinzvinegar.com/vinegars/whitevinegar.aspx

It's called white distilled vinegar. You are (I believe) still talking about malt and distilled malt vinegar.

Who would've thought that something as simple as vinegar could be so complicated, eh?

BTW I love the bit on that site about " ... made from sun-ripened grain and crystal clear water" ... are there any other kinds of grain? and who would want it if it was made from muddy ditch water?

• Advertisement

BTW I love the bit on that site about " ... made from sun-ripened grain and crystal clear water" ... are there any other kinds of grain? and who would want it if it was made from muddy ditch water?

Ironically, I believe its mostly made from corn, which is generally considered to be distinct from grain !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm confused reading this thread, but I have chef brand distilled malt vinegar in my cupboard to use on chipper chips when the chipper vinegar has evaporated. I got it in superquinns and it's clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Who would've thought that something as simple as vinegar could be so complicated, eh?

And that's without even starting on balsamic. Or kombucha. Or cane vinegar... In fact vinegar clearly deserves its own forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

This complex subject has been covered over in the Sligo Forum!

Explanations and sources can be found in this link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055240778&highlight=vinegar+canada&page=2

WindSock wrote: »
    I'm confused reading this thread, but I have chef brand distilled malt vinegar in my cupboard to use on chipper chips when the chipper vinegar has evaporated. I got it in superquinns and it's clear.

Unfortunately it's still malt even though it's clear. I actually checked the Sarson's brand today and it's distilled malt vinegar too.

sueme wrote: »
    This complex subject has been covered over in the Sligo Forum!

Explanations and sources can be found in this link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055240778&highlight=vinegar+canada&page=2

I'm going to have to message Xiney -- I had the exact same problem finding proper pickles! Thanks for the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

OP - The vinegar you listed is a spirit vinegar, one difference from malt vinegars is that it contains a small amount of alcohol. Difficult to find any brand, but there is a brand called Safari, you may find in a South African speciality shop. Jabula.ie is an online seller that stock it. Stocklist here but you may be better off getting it in a shop first, just to make sure it is the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"malt" refers to grains that have been turned into sugar, ready to be brewed. If you have grains they go through a malting process, turning starch into sugar. Then the sugar is fermented, making alcohol. The the alcohol is made into vinegar, you can buy "mother of vinegar" to turn alcohol into vinegar.

The "malt" bit really is distinguishing the vinegar as being one made from grain, corn (maize), barley, rye, wheat etc. It could just as easily be called grain vinegar, like some vodkas might be referred to as a "grain spirit". It distinguished it from wine or cider vinegars.

Grain is a very cheap way to make alcohol, so I would expect most distilled vinegar is made from grains, and hence can be called malt vinegar. You could also get "white vinegar" made from wine, cider, anything really, if you made rhubarb wine it can be turned into white vinegar.

I have never seen undistilled vinegar on sale in supermarkets. Some chippers make their own vinegars, which can be undistilled. Some will blend their brewed vinegar with distilled vinegars.

Most brown vinegars in supermarkets will be distilled white vinegar with colour added, and maybe some unfermented malt to sweeten and colour it. This is similar to what white & brown rum are, unfermented molasses is added back to the distilled white rum to produce brown rum. "Proper" brown vinegar would get its colour from being aged, just like whiskey, distilled whiskey is a clear liquid.

Some asian shops can sell acetic acid cheap enough. But IME clear distilled vinegar made from malted grains is very common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AmberWaives

Bump...

Has anyone been able to find ordinary plain "white distilled vinegar" in Ireland like the OP described? :confused:

http://www.vinegartips.com/ <-- this stuff

I have been looking for it for months and whenever I ask in the shops I get a strange look.

Thank you

• Advertisement

Any polish / eastern european shop should do. Look for 'ocet' on the label. Note that it is probably 10% instead of the regular 5% so you will need to cut it with water.

Advertisement