Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone answer me this please

• 19-05-2012 8:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

I have a wee cousin whos only turned 18 a few months ago who lives in belfast and hes wanting to move down here to me in teh west as he's having some trouble with the paramiltaries in belfast. He has got on the wrong side of these scumbags and they are going to shot him in teh legs and arms if he doesnt leave teh area where hes living now.

Ive told him to come down here to me but will he have any problems trying to sign on the dole. I moved down here in similar circumstances but when i moved, i could walk into the social welfare office and have my money sorted in a few weeks but now ive heard that if your from the north, your not entitled to dole unless youve lived here for at least a few years and worked.

Can someone here give me some advice on what to do because this is sort of an emergancey. If this was a few years ago, i would have been able to look after him myself without any need for the dole but seeing as we are in bad times, im barely looking after my own family

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Start here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html

Also as he will be applying for a means tested payment your income will be taken into account,if he is living with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

mrxireland wrote: »
    I have a wee cousin whos only turned 18 a few months ago who lives in belfast and hes wanting to move down here to me in teh west as he's having some trouble with the paramiltaries in belfast. He has got on the wrong side of these scumbags and they are going to shot him in teh legs and arms if he doesnt leave teh area where hes living now.

Ive told him to come down here to me but will he have any problems trying to sign on the dole. I moved down here in similar circumstances but when i moved, i could walk into the social welfare office and have my money sorted in a few weeks but now ive heard that if your from the north, your not entitled to dole unless youve lived here for at least a few years and worked.

Can someone here give me some advice on what to do because this is sort of an emergancey. If this was a few years ago, i would have been able to look after him myself without any need for the dole but seeing as we are in bad times, im barely looking after my own family

country has enough spungers as it is.....leave us free staters in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

He will have serious difficulty in establishing that he is habitually resident in the 26 County State, which is a requirement for any social assistance payments like Jobseekers Allowance etc. He can of course put forward an argument that he cannot live in the north anymore due to the threat over his head, and that all the factors point to the fact that his ties are all in this State now, but in the current climate he will be extremely lucky to get a payment. He can of course appeal.

While his claim is being processed or appealed he can apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance from the Community Welfare Officer, but this is also subject to habitual residence rules, and he'll more than likely run into the same problems. Any decision to refuse him SWA can also be appealed.

If he works, even for just one week, in the 26 Counties, he can combine his social insurance record with his record from the north, and may qualify for some sort of social insurance payment, depending on his work history/contribution record. Any meaningful work, even if it didn't last, would also bring him into the category of EU migrant worker, and would exempt him from habitual residence for the purposes of SWA for at least 6 months after he finished work.

If he is only a cousin, your income will not be taken into account in the means test. Those rules apply only to parental income.

Advertisement