Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD irritations... ie first world problems! (See Mod Note, 1st post)

• 27-09-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Shall I begin? The fact that the reading list for my course is located in both the James Joyce and Health Science libraries. Trekking is unfun.

Tempermental self check scanners in the libo. Grim.

The lack of food options is starting to grate a little too.

Please Continue!

Mod Note: This thread is for cathartic ranting about stuff that annoys you. People replying to rants to complain about peoples complaints will earn an infraction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

1. People who insist on 'saving seats' for their buddy in the Daedalus computer centre when it's already full to capacity

2. The one obnoxious mature student who intends on telling the lecturer they're wrong... about everything

3. Group project Nazis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

The person who keeps asking questions at the end of lectures, despite everyone else gagging to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lack of cheap food options

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

People beating the sh1t out of the spacebar when typing in a lecture/library/anywhere.

People who throw down their bag on the desk in the library then open it and throw books/laptops/keys/water etc. out of the bag onto the desk.

People who can't put a chair back under a table in the library quietly without the 'DING!'

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

The fact that science no longer have a restaurant and a sandwich costs 4.50 in conway.

The new f****** printing system! Why the hell are most the printing resources given over to first years? No offence but there's a lot more of us 2nd/3rd/4th/5th years! I think it's a disgrace that they expect us to pay anything towards a new student card. They changed the system they fix the fallout. Simple really.

Nine o clock lectures when you have an hour and a half commute in.

5 hour blocks of labs and lectures without food!

Lab reports (just in general)

Wow. That made me feel better. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

My student card seems to have the lolz deciding if it feels like working on those library scanner tolls. Morto when theres a queue behind ya and it won't scan :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The fact that science no longer have a restaurant and a sandwich costs 4.50 in conway.

You mean €3.89, or €5 with a hot drink, right? Because that's how much i pay from sandwiches from Conway.

Ontopic: Freshers who haven't realised that some people are here to do some goddamned work, and insist on milling aimlessly around in my way. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

just bring ham sambos and tayto into college with ya. maybe an oul bottle of cadet if the price is right

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

The UCD Centra's Deli is well worth trying. More variety and lower prices than that Kylemore shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭risenbass

People who walk f**king slow, i walk faster than that when im not in a rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

• People who announce statements instead of asking questions in lectures.
    • People who play music. anywhere. Buy headphones.
    • People who leave their rubbish on tables. You're not 6.
    • People who ask me to vote for X in Y election but fail to give me any reasons what so ever for doing so other than "ah gowaaan it's me mate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

The wifi in Belgrove won't work in my bedroom, so I can only use it in the kitchen.....how will I do assignments/research? :mad:

No, SISWeb, the problem has NOT been resolved.

Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

EmilyO wrote: »
    The wifi in Belgrove won't work in my bedroom, so I can only use it in the kitchen.....how will I do assignments/research? :mad:
    If you have an ethernet port in your room you can just use that, and it's way faster/better than the Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

._. wrote: »
    If you have an ethernet port in your room you can just use that, and it's way faster/better than the Wi-Fi.

UCD Campus don't have those, just in case he goes looking for one in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

Will wrote: »
    The person who keeps asking questions at the end of lectures, despite everyone else gagging to leave.

Get used to that in Nursing! In my year we dubbed someone "question lady".

She was a lady, who asked lots of questions. We just wanted to get lunch.

That UCard thing is a load of balls anyways. So if you didn't get a new student card at the start of the year you have to pay for a new shiney one in order to use the photocopiers?! Loada cak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Riveta wrote: »
    That UCard thing is a load of balls anyways. So if you didn't get a new student card at the start of the year you have to pay for a new shiney one in order to use the photocopiers?! Loada cak!

Well people did have the option to get a new one for free, in fairness it was advertised. A friend of mine was shocked at the lack of a queue when he picked up his.

My main irritation is with people that just don't make any effort and want everything handed on a plate to them. Whether that be in lectures, programme offices etc. I got so fed up with people in my class not making any effort to help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Theres actually a little mini deli thing in the physics building (bottom floor) now. Haven't bought anything but they have these massive delish looking cookies...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Uh, well I have one..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

risenbass wrote: »
    People who walk f**king slow, i walk faster than that when im not in a rush

This^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

• Very limited food options
    • SIS
    • Blackboard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I've warned people sitting beside me that repeated question asking at the end of lectures will result in an elbow to the ribs. Most people are fairly sound about it though thankfully.

blackboard is a pain in the cojones also as someone said.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

lol at that. We had "the quizmaster" in first year science. Possibly the most annoying thing ever class before lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

._. wrote: »
    Uh, well I have one..

Which res? :\ I certainly didn't see any in belgrove when I was in there last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

- Lack of healthy food despite Centra's effort at introducing some.
    - People who use public (SUAS) computers to go on FB
    - Those who put the volume of their headphones to the max in the lib
    - Having one course in Roebuck Castle and have 5min only to go to another course in the Ag Building
    - People who stand right in front of the lib door to have deep conversations (like step over!)
    - Lack of Internet access in Roebuck Castle rooms
    - The guy who asks so-called-philosophical-questions in every lecture
    - Selfish people (during revision week) who just put their computer and bag on a lib table so they can save their seat and then head out for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

MacieC wrote: »
    People who use public computers to go on FB

That one in particular is really getting to me atm. I think they should block access to it on the SUAS pcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

She didn't go looking in vain, she knew there wasn't one

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

• Lecturers who constantly ask easy questions to see if the class is paying attention and then they wait for like 5 minutes for someone to answer it.
    • The 17 bus.
    • When you have a practical which requires the use of laptops and the lab has about 5 plugs between everyone.
    • The mountain of flyers in each lecture theatre.
    • When you travel all the way in for one lecture to find out its being cancelled 5 minutes before its about to start. (Granted its not always the case that prior warning can be given!)
    • When a demonstrator in the course doesn't know the course material.
    • When lecturers/other people do up notes they pick stupid colours which make the notes hard to read. E.G. Bright green background with bright yellow text.
    Ha this is making me sound like a moaner :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

The idiot who decided to sprawl out on the seating in the arts block today and go for a snooze while everyone else was looking for a seat during lunch rush hour. Selfish asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

The girls in the row behind me who whisper loudly about their weekend in the middle of the lecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Siuin wrote: »
    The idiot who decided to sprawl out on the seating in the arts block today and go for a snooze while everyone else was looking for a seat during lunch rush hour. Selfish asshole.

You could, you know, wake him up and ask him to move :pac:

Advertisement