Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PETA, are you f*cking serious?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I prefer the line "My food shíts on your food."

Your food is splattered with its own sh!t.
    True: That's why the outside of beef needs to be cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've just been slighted by a unicorn. How does peta feel about animals that dont actually exist?

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Good video. Same points as my first post really - but made in a much more compelling/entertaining manner. Escapist magazine is good.
    I think these sorts of attention-grabbing protests undermine the professed cause of the people involved.

They euthanise 85% of animals brought into their shelters apparently. I worked in a [non-PETA] animal shelter and yes, an awful lot of the animals do need to be euthanised. Disease is a real problem in cramped conditions with lots of strays, no matter how well the place is mantained. But there's something amiss when it's 85%. Apparently they kill pit bulls out of hand, and prefer killing to keeping an animal couped up for extended periods.

Very hypocritical really. The place I worked in housed a bulldog that had eaten a rival pet greyhound (literally). The only animals which were killed were already dying.

Some animals do become very distressed from confinement. There was an alsatian which was losing its fur because of this as I understood. However an alternative to killing them is to take them for a walk or a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paddy1977

They still should'n be in a tank preforming though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

They really are making a joke out of their 'cause'. People must come before animals. I must admit I find it difficult to understand people who campaign for animal rights. When we establish rights for all the humans, and when no child ever has to starve to death, then, only then, can we start on the animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I'm suing my horse for unpaid rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Jane Eyre wrote: »
    They really are making a joke out of their 'cause'. People must come before animals. I must admit I find it difficult to understand people who campaign for animal rights. When we establish rights for all the humans, and when no child ever has to starve to death, then, only then, can we start on the animals.

This doesn't make any sense to me. We don't have to completely sort out one situation before moving on to others.
    There's 7 billion of us: we can multitask.

In this case for example, while claiming that the orcas are people is ridiculous, they should be treated better. Trying to help them doesn't mean that some people who you could be helping will suffer instead.

We can't campaign or support all causes: we'd never get anything done, so we focus on particular issues, for whatever reasons we have.
    There are undoubtedly many more people supporting charities trying to help people than there are people supporting animal charities.
    There are even people who (brace yourself) support both!

It's not like we have to end war, then hunger, then poverty, then cancer and so on till all human problems are sorted, and then we can start on the animals.
    You can help both simultaneously. At the end of the day, we're all animals and we share the same planet.

I don't understand people who seem to think you can only help either humans or (other) animals, or think animal rights shouldn't be respected.
    I don't understand how someone can seemingly have no sympathy for the suffering of tortured animals, or how they seem to think that if you care about that suffering, then you don't care about human suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

What I find interesting is they don't want us to eat/keep animals or to use any products created by animals e.g. milk. So what do they think we are going to do with the millions of farm animals/dogs/etc. They will all have to be destroyed. Because we will need to use the land used for beef and dairy production for vegetable production and no one wants to keep a herd of 100 dairy cows as pets!

These people are not in the real world at all. I heard one vegan telling my partner one day that to eat honey is "the extortion of the bee" féckers are making it anyway with or without us eating it!!!!!

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    What I find interesting is they don't want us to eat/keep animals or to use any products created by animals e.g. milk. So what do they think we are going to do with the millions of farm animals/dogs/etc. They will all have to be destroyed. Because we will need to use the land used for beef and dairy production for vegetable production and no one wants to keep a herd of 100 dairy cows as pets!

These people are not in the real world at all. I heard one vegan telling my partner one day that to eat honey is "the extortion of the bee" féckers are making it anyway with or without us eating it!!!!!
    I think it's to do with seeing farming animals as an abomination.

There is no question that a great deal of animal farming supports this notion.

Chickens can be classified as broilers (bred for meat) or layers (bred for eggs) - or as hybrids. It is common for broilers to have their legs break under their own weight, since they have been bred purely to grow big fast. Meanwhile male layers are destroyed as chicks and the chickens often have had any impulse to look after or even sit on their eggs bred out of them.

I dont see what would be so awful about these breeds not continuing tbh.

There are breeds that are bred for appearance or personality, which provide plenty of eggs. They could easily be kept in natural and humane ways while providing plenty of eggs. They even make decent pets I believe.

[edit: I know this wouldnt be in line with the Peta philosophy - I'm really not trying to act as an apologist for them.]

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Im an animal lover and I think animal rights are very important but oeta are a bunch of loons that are an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

stevenmu wrote: »
    PETA have a list of companies that should be boycotted for testing their products on animals. One of the companies is Pedigree Chum...

That says it all.

Have you ever tasted Pedigree Chum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

stevenmu wrote: »
    PETA have a list of companies that should be boycotted for testing their products on animals. One of the companies is Pedigree Chum...

That says it all.

Just to rationalise this, the petfood companies need to make sure their food is actually good for animals sooooo they have to cage them and test their foods on them which PETA objects to. I think I saw one video somewhere of a testing facility and it was pretty sad viewing with muscle biopsies (sp?) etc. Not the image of Rover bounding around a ginormous back garden with a loving family and so on that Pedigree Chum brings to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inFtOMx8nDU

What animal lover would do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Downlinz

danniemcq wrote: »
    Now I’m all for treating animals ok, no kicking them down stairs, setting them on fire etc but seriously?

In my opinion PETA do more harm than good to animal welfare. If they had been sane and explained in a calm manner that the whales were obviously in distress (by science not aura or feeling) and attempted something through the courts that way in an effort to improve conditions, get them released then fine.

But calling the Whales plaintiffs is just causing a mockery of the Justice system and people like me who care about animals suddenly find themselves distancing from the ideas of these nutters.

You agree with ethical treatment of animals, agree that the case PETA have is entirely logical and based on good cause of the mistreatment of whales but call them "nutters" because of their presentation?

PETA are bad at PR and thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Downlinz wrote: »
    You agree with ethical treatment of animals, agree that the case PETA have is entirely logical and based on good cause of the mistreatment of whales but call them "nutters" because of their presentation?

PETA are bad at PR and thats about it.

if you read some of my other posts you'll see its worse than just bad PR or them being nutters.

They are not helping their cause, if you ask anyone you'll nearly always be be told (there are some psychos and eco haters) that animals shouldn't be abused and deserve a decent life.

that goes without saying but what PETA are doing is making people who mention that they are for animal rights out to be painted with the same brush as they paint PETA with.

oh you are for animal rights? so you're like one of them PETA nutters? Did ya hear the story about them calling for whales to be covered with a bit of paper that starts with "We the people....". they are crazy people can't believe you agree

Chickens can be classified as broilers (bred for meat) or layers (bred for eggs) - or as hybrids. It is common for broilers to have their legs break under their own weight, since they have been bred purely to grow big fast. Meanwhile male layers are destroyed as chicks and the chickens often have had any impulse to look after or even sit on their eggs bred out of them.

This occurs in large factory farms yes, but for the most part, especially here in Ireland even, I have noticed Free-Range smaller farmers are very popular. I refuse to buy eggs/chicken that is not free-range. That way they have a quality of life then when alive. If everyone did this then it would send the message that only free range should be sold, but I am not going to stop eating chicken altogether, because even if they make good pets, no one is going to keep all the chickens in Ireland!

Humane treatment of animals is a good thing, me giving up beef and chicken because some idiot thinks I should be eating grass is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

PETA infuriate me as they do nothing to champion the animal rights cause, all they seem to do is make a mockery of it by acting like complete numpties.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    This occurs in large factory farms yes, but for the most part, especially here in Ireland even, I have noticed Free-Range smaller farmers are very popular.
    While "free range" is a better life for the chickens it's not a huge difference from standard intensive farming. It's just less birds and a few amenities. It should be the base standard, it's defiantly an improvement but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    While "free range" is a better life for the chickens it's not a huge difference from standard intensive farming. It's just less birds and a few amenities. It should be the base standard, it's defiantly an improvement but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Except the low prices farmers are getting for chickens will ensure this will never happen. The most of the profits made from the selling of meats is made by the butchers/shop owners.

It really is a no win situation. Because if they increase the profits for farmers, the consumer will have to pay more, and that means that cheaper alternatives will be more sought after, meaning that intensive factory farming will be made more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

jebuz wrote: »
    It was the best of times...

...it was the blurst of times ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Whale tastes surprisingly nice, its like red meat but a taste of fish

Id recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paddy1977

Related Content

A team of experts has said dolphins should be given the same rights to life and liberty as humans because of their high levels of intelligence and self-awareness.
    Scientists meeting in Canada were told the mammals deserved to be treated as non-human "persons" who were given the same ethical considerations as humans.
    A small group of experts in philosophy, conservation and dolphin behaviour were canvassing support for a "Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans".
    It is hoped recognising cetaceans' rights could mean an end to whaling and the captivity of dolphins and whales, or their use in entertainment.
    The move is based on years of research that has shown dolphins and whales to have large, complex brains and a human-like level of self-awareness.
    This has led experts to conclude that the animals are "people" in a philosophical sense, which has far-reaching implications.

Ethics expert Professor Tom White, from Loyola Marymount University , Los Angeles, author of In Defence Of Dolphins: The New Moral Frontier, said: "Dolphins are non-human persons. A person needs to be an individual. If individuals count, then the deliberate killing of individuals of this sort is ethically the equivalent of deliberately killing a human being.
    "The captivity of beings of this sort, particularly in conditions that would not allow for a decent life, is ethically unacceptable; commercial whaling is ethically unacceptable.
    "We're saying the science has shown that individuality, consciousness, self-awareness, is no longer a unique human property. That poses all kinds of challenges."
    The declaration, originally agreed in May 2010, contains the statements "every individual cetacean has the right to life", "no cetacean should be held in captivity or servitude, be subject to cruel treatment, or be removed from their natural environment", and "no cetacean is the property of any state, corporation, human group or individual".
    It adds: "The rights, freedoms and norms set forth in this declaration should be protected under international and domestic law."
    The US authors brought their message to the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Vancouver, Canada, the world's biggest science conference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I hate that PETA give all vegans and vegetarians a bad name by the way they go about everything they do. They try to get a shock reaction through all their publicity stunts and don't seem to realise it does nothing but turn people against them, and some people seem to associate all vegans/vegetarians with PETA.

Most vegans/vegetarians, myself included, are not nutters, and do not agree with a lot of PETA's actions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

paddy1977 wrote: »
    Related Content

A team of experts has said dolphins should be given the same rights to life and liberty as humans because of their high levels of intelligence and self-awareness.
    ..Simpsons, it's been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

curehead wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inFtOMx8nDU

What animal lover would do that ?

What animal lover would sabotage animal rights by having a mock trial or something with whales as plantiffs and preseumably a monkey judge in a kangeroo court!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Imagine if these people got into government.

• Advertisement
Advertisement