Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civilization 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Amazon was the cheapest alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Dublin has been listed as an independent militaristic city state

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Should that read "materialistic"?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

Should that read "materialistic"?

walk down o connell street on a saturday night and you'll see that he had it right! :D seriously though i just can't wait for this game

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Disappointing really that the demo is only being released on release day. :(

• Advertisement

Disappointing really that the demo is only being released on release day. :(

That's a bit of a kick in the stones.

I'll have to make do with Galac Civ II for the moment so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

As far as I can tell, there's four pre-order bonus "Cradle of Civilization" maps:

Mesopotamia, Indus Valley (includes the Yellow river), the Mediterranean and Americas.

As usual these days each merchant is only able to provide one of the maps, and from what I can tell it's Amazon for Indus, Game for Americas, Play for the Med and Steam for Meso.

So far I can only see one "bonus"* Civ - the Babylonians from the Digital Deluxe edition. No word on whether they'll be purchasable as separate DLC in the future.

* and by bonus, I mean removed from the regular game rather than "added value" in the DDE.

The release date here in Europe is Friday, 24th of September

Would it be sad if I took the day off work for this?

I could have the whole weekend for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The release date here in Europe is Friday, 24th of September

Would it be sad if I took the day off work for this?

I could have the whole weekend for it.

It is sad I suppose, but I took the Friday, was due to work on the Saturday but swapped it with someone else, and am taking the Monday too :)

Video walkthrough here

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Looks absolutely brilliant. Quite amusing commentary from that guy too. He fails at diplomacy :)

I want it NOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

So excited that I might just have to spend all my spare time between now and then going back to the oldschool... CivII, you stole my life.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Nice little interview with Jon Shafer over at RPS.

When I heard Civ5 was moving to hexes, I was instantly hoping they were copying Panzer General and from the sounds of it, that's exactly what Shafer did.

I think I'm even more excited than ever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Video walkthrough here

I want it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Maximilian wrote:
    Nice little interview with Jon Shafer over at RPS.

When I heard Civ5 was moving to hexes, I was instantly hoping they were copying Panzer General and from the sounds of it, that's exactly what Shafer did.

I think I'm even more excited than ever.

Man, Panzer General was my first PC game way back when. I've wanted a really polished upgrade of it for many years, this news makes me so happy!

http://www.ustream.tv/2kgameslive

Couple of Firaxis guys streaming gameplay live here, looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Where's the cheapest place to download this? £29.99 is the best I've seen http://game.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Civilization-V-2014-43.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://www.ustream.tv/2kgameslive

Couple of Firaxis guys streaming gameplay live here, looks fantastic.

Watching this,looks really cool.

Looks like the system requirements have been announced:

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
    Processor: Dual Core CPU
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
    DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
    Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
    DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
    Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
    DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
    Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
    DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

Fairly steep for a civ game.

• Advertisement

Recommending a Quad Core... I really hope it's the AI needing all that power!

I meet the recommended :p

Recommended specs are fairly high alright, I exceed them myself but still could put a lot of people off and there's nothing worse than waiting an age between turns.

Just watched the replay of the stream. I really can't wait now, it's going to be amazing. We will definitely have to organise a massive multiplayer game.

Indeed. Saw Dublin as a city state while that guy was playing.

I'm gonna call it and say this will be the best civ yet.

Just watched the replay of the stream. I really can't wait now, it's going to be amazing. We will definitely have to organise a massive multiplayer game.

Ditto, looks stunning. Pity it's not dual operating system and coming out on the Mac as well at launch but I'll force myself to reboot into Windows to play it I suppose. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They are looking for €49.99 for it on Steam. I'll wait for it to come down in price. It will be €29.99 within 6 months hopefully.

kmick wrote: »
    They are looking for €49.99 for it on Steam. I'll wait for it to come down in price. It will be €29.99 within 6 months hopefully.

20 quid in exchange for waiting for 6 months for Civ? Not a good deal tbh. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

kmick wrote: »
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Where's the cheapest place to download this? £29.99 is the best I've seen http://game.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Civilization-V-2014-43.html

• Advertisement

So, have it pre-loaded with Steam, and it sits on my hard drive, taunting me.

Supposed to unlock just after midnight next Thursday. Having not pre-loaded a game with Steam before can anyone tell me do these thing usually unlock on time, and how long does unlocking take, so I know whether or not to bother waiting up to get an early 2-3 hours of Civ goodness?

Advertisement