Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka Synthetic .223 v Remmy 700 VLS

• 31-03-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    I need help,
    I am trying to decide between a Tikka Synthetic (lite) in .223 or a Remmy 700 VLS (Heavy barrel)..Can ye give me honest opinions on the Pros and cons of both.
    I have always had a CZ in 22lr or 17HMR and I am moving up a bit. I don't want to buy and then be brassed off when I can't hold tight groups or keep losing zero.
    The gun will be for mainly longer distance rabbits and foxes and a good bit of can/target bashing.
    The Tikka has a lite barrel and synthetic stock whereas the Remmy has a laminate Montecarlo style stock and heavy barrel.
    Both fit me perfect and the deal I have going is cash similar in both guns.
    Both fully dressed and second hand. Both are in great condition.

All opinions would be fully welcome.

:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Whichever feels better and shoots better. Personally I'd like the light weight of the Tikka, but that long action for a .223 seems ridiculous. The Remmy will be better in that regard, but if it's the stock trigger, won't be so nice there, and will be heavier. I'd probably take the Tikka on balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

When you look at a lot of threads here about the remmy ya see lads will change the trigger, the barrel and the stock and then go on to tell ya how good the remmy is. You never hear of that being done with the Tikka, mind you I am bias cos I have the T3 Lite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Not alot of experience with the tikka but id take it over a remmi any day, dont like the way they feel at all

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭murphyc106

homerhop wrote: »
    When you look at a lot of threads here about the remmy ya see lads will change the trigger, the barrel and the stock and then go on to tell ya how good the remmy is. You never hear of that being done with the Tikka, mind you I am bias cos I have the T3 Lite.

Great comment about the Remmy- as good Triggers broom "17 new heads and 14 new handles".. Is the Tikka that much better than the Remmy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

murphyc106 wrote: »
    Great comment about the Remmy- as good Triggers broom "17 new heads and 14 new handles".. Is the Tikka that much better than the Remmy?

Seriously accurate rifle, very smooth action. I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

murphyc106 wrote: »
    YEP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

I own both a remington 700 and a t3 lite.

If I were in you shoes and had to pick the "better" rifle I'd automatically choose the tikka..

But long distance shooting and target shooting will mean firing a high number of shots in a short amount of time, not really what the T3 lite was intended for, that's a lightweigh rifle for stalking type shooting.

The Remington on the other hand is going to be alot heavier, but better suited to the job you intend on doing! Yes the trigger ain't great but that's a cheap fix, I'm actually finding the trigger on my new tikka very heavy because I have a timney fitted to my Remington!

You are not only comparing too different brands but two different type rifles. I'd chose the Remington because it's better suited to the job but would never pick a heavy barrelled remmy over a tikka varmint, supervarmint or tactical!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Once you spend a couple of thosand on a remmy getting a new barrel/trigger etc etc, there as good as a Tikka.:D Or just buy a CZ527 great gun.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭.243

theres nothing wrong with either guns,they both shoot out of the box accuratly,
    the only thing i can see is that the tikka has a detach mag compared to the remingtons blind mag,
    yes i will agree that the remingtons trigger is heavy but thats due to the yanks paraonid view on triggers being safe,
    this like comparing a jap import car that still drives but can be heavily modified to a european audi or bmw "thats so good it doesnt need to be modified",
    my personal view is anyone who buys a tikka,buys one because they cant afford a sako,(and dont try and tell me you'd buy a tikka because its better),
    50% remington owners seem to be happy with what they have,while the other 50% buy it with the option of personalizing it because its the most customable rifle on the planet,
    bottom line suit your pocket,down the line both will stand to you on a trade-in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest, I have a Sako and would happily buy a Tikka for the weight savings. Hard to get a Sako 75 Hunter under about eight pounds all up, whereas you could comfortably get seven with the Tikka, maybe a few ounces more. Seven pound rifles carry very nicely indeed to my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

anyone iv talked to who owns a tikka is 100% happy, im going to invest in one myself, i was in with my rfd on friday and asked him for a t3 varmint in 223 he is getting back to me this week with a price, anyone no what kind of money they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thomasc4329

I was asking myself the same question about a year ago and i went with a tikka t3 varmint and i,m delighted i did its very accurate i get 1 inch groups at 200m all day long without any modifications to the rifle my mate has a remmy and i find it very awkward as it has a 24 inch barrel compared to the 20 inch of the tikka its still a nice rifle but i,d pick the tikka every time. The tikka cost me 750 pounds new !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

.243 wrote: »
    theres nothing wrong with either guns,they both shoot out of the box accuratly,
    the only thing i can see is that the tikka has a detach mag compared to the remingtons blind mag,
    yes i will agree that the remingtons trigger is heavy but thats due to the yanks paraonid view on triggers being safe,
    this like comparing a jap import car that still drives but can be heavily modified to a european audi or bmw "thats so good it doesnt need to be modified",
    my personal view is anyone who buys a tikka,buys one because they cant afford a sako,(and dont try and tell me you'd buy a tikka because its better),
    50% remington owners seem to be happy with what they have,while the other 50% buy it with the option of personalizing it because its the most customable rifle on the planet,
    bottom line suit your pocket,down the line both will stand to you on a trade-in
    I like Sako but some Sako rifles are not as nice as the Tikkas in
    Synthetic. Sako is abit better built tho

I had a remmy and was very accurate,it had a bull barrel and trigger was 3.5lbs great gun but the Tikka t3 Lite is for stalking. It has a famously slick bolt with a nice sprung claw extraction and they are guaranteed to shoot 5MAO out of the box like Sako. Tikka uses Sako steels on their barrels. The Tikka Lite suffers from muzzle flip as its barrel is so light where if you want to avoid that step up to a Tikka or remmy with a varmint barrel.Tikka and Sako claim that their varmint/bull barrels will give continues accuracy with no over heating. I don't think I seen any remmy with a factory muzzle thread. Nothing wrong with remmy either. Both Tikka and Remington do same job but the spec of rifle determines what you what kind of shooting the spec is modified for. A heavy barrel is much easier to keep steady when shooting targets at long range.I'd pick Tikka

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Well murphy whats it gona be?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

No pressure! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

T3..

But after ya rid of the horrid stocks made of jelly..

pse one will do nicely ;)

'hdz

aurin07 wrote: »
    T3..

But after ya rid of the horrid stocks made of jelly..

pse one will do nicely ;)

'hdz
    Whats the pse stock like? I heard that t3 Lite stocks won't take too much abuse tho i think the varmint and tactical have the nicest synthetic stocks going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

4200fps wrote: »
    Whats the pse stock like? I heard that t3 Lite stocks won't take too much abuse tho i think the varmint and tactical have the nicest synthetic stocks going

i cant say from an owner perspective but they are one of the nicest well thought out stocks I've ever held..

Plan on sorting myself out one when I decide between a 204/223/243 (Have a 243 t3 just dont so to speak.. long story)

http://www.pse-composites.com/

the t3 stocks are poor i think .. Really lets the actions down :(

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭murphyc106

Well, the deal is done and the Sergeant called out today. Its the Tikka in .223, comes with Harris Bi-Pod, Leapers 6-24x50 scope and T3 moderator and a few boxes of ammo...Bring on the license..
    Well murphy whats it gona be?:D

• Advertisement

The very best of luck with her. I did notice with the Tikka she is a very accurate rifle but when the barrel gets hot from constant shooting the grouping is poor but all light barrel rifles will do the same.

Advertisement