Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No animals were harmed....

• 01-11-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭

...In the making of this motion picture. This tag is at the end of every movie made now a days, But my ponderence of this is why does it not say no humans were harmed are we not as important as animals? Why dont we get a special mention at the end credits.
    Another thing in the making of The Game of Thrones a scene where a horse gets its head lamped off and Peta :rolleyes: complained... but there are hundreds of humans are slain in the most awful ways.

So why are animals more important than humans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

cos humans sign up for it and are paid to do stunts. did PETA think that horse really had its head chopped off? morons. I remember them complaining about the horses in Braveheart as well, which were rubber ones on a track to make them flip over when speared. suppose its the best compliment the special effects guys can get if hippies think their work is realistic looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's funny, I was just reading about this recently.

In the 1939 film Jesse James, a horse was blindfolded and ridden over a cliff to its death (I guess the rider jumped off first!).

The American Humane Association understandably kicked up a fuss and since then they've had that disclaimer.

So maybe if someone did something similar to Robert Pattinson or some such heartthrob (not that I'm advocating that...not really) Amnesty International might do something similar for humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You ARE an animal.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

If no animals were harmed during the production does that mean their canteen was vegetarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Animals are pretty and taste good.

People are smelly and taste awful.

Too many poeple. Not enough animals.

Kill people.

Eat animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I'm sure if ya look hard enough you'll find some group complaining about any particular thing.

Violence in movies should have a good few groups harping about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Cause humans are assholes and watching them die is entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

But my ponderence of this is why does it not say no humans were harmed are we not as important as animals? Why dont we get a special mention at the end credits.
    Because humans have free choice, and get paid handsomely for their efforts.

They're not, but in a civilised society it is generally deemed unacceptable to treat animals cruelly in the name of entertainment. In fairness though, I thought that would've been obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

OldGoat wrote: »
    You ARE an animal.

Speak for yourself, Mr. Goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What a about those bulls who went over the cliff in The Field?

Were they alive or fired out of a large canon?:D

• Advertisement

What a about those bulls who went over the cliff in The Field?

Were they alive or fired out of a large canon?:D

They were actually stunt-men in costume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

It's funny, I was just reading about this recently.

In the 1939 film Jesse James, a horse was blindfolded and ridden over a cliff to its death (I guess the rider jumped off first!).

The American Humane Association kicked up a fuss and since then they've had that disclaimer.

So maybe if someone did something similar to Robert Pattinson or some such heartthrob
    (not that I'm advocating that...not really) Amnesty International might do something similar for humans.

Good god I hope they do

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Good god I hope they do

I'd say there'd be plenty of volunteers to ride him.

The cliff part might be more problematic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

if they ran cows off a cliff into a big meat grinder i'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

If I were a director, I'd have 'No animals were accidentally harmed in the making of this movie'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

danniemcq wrote: »
    if they ran cows off a cliff into a big meat grinder i'd be happy enough.

Jaysus, the Bull McCabe would surely have been annoyed if Tadgh had of ended up in a fecking meat grinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

...In the making of this motion picture. This tag is at the end of every movie made now a days, But my ponderence of this is why does it not say no humans were harmed are we not as important as animals? Why dont we get a special mention at the end credits.
    Another thing in the making of The Game of Thrones a scene where a horse gets its head lamped off and Peta :rolleyes: complained... but there are hundreds of humans are slain in the most awful ways.

I think it goes without saying that there wouldnt be a message saying that 'no humans were harmed etc' There's enough legislation etc out there to protect 'humans.'

The same protection doesnt apply to animals however and thats why its probably stated explicitly in the credits that no animals were exploited or harmed.

As for PETA i personally dont think animals are equal to humans. Its a bit of an insane notion. I know what i'd be doing if i'd to choose between the life of a person or an animal.

It always reminds me of the vote or die episode in Southpark or the guy in my home town who has been seen swapping spit with his dog. Fookin barking mad.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Jaysus, the Bull McCabe would surely have been annoyed if Tadgh had of ended up in a fecking meat grinder.

all depends on the taste,

after all meat is murder... tasty tasty murder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What?!
    that's awful

bluewolf wrote: »
    What?!
    that's awful

yes but bet you are looking for a torrent of it now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's pretty obvious that filmmakers don't go around killing humans. It's less obvious that they don't kill other animals. It would be illegal to kill a human. It wouldn't be illegal to buy a farm animal like a pig and kill them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

danniemcq wrote: »
    yes but bet you are looking for a torrent of it now!

i certainly am not :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's pretty obvious that filmmakers don't go around killing humans. It's less obvious that they don't kill other animals. It would be illegal to kill a human. It wouldn't be illegal to buy a farm animal like a pig and kill them.

:(
    The stuntman killed in an explosion during the filming of The Expendables 2 has been identified as Kun Lieu. The accident occurred last week on a second unit location on Lake Ognyanovo, Bulgaria. Another stuntman, Nuo Sun, was also seriously injured, according to the movie's production company, Nu Image/Millennium Films. The company also sought to clarify what it dubbed "incorrect reports" that the injured stuntmen were the doubles for Sylvester Stallone and Jet Li: "This is absolutely false and inaccurate. At the time of the accident neither Li's or Stallone's stuntmen were on or near the Second Unit set, nor were any of the film's main actors, director Simon West or any of the Main Unit crew."

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/10/stuntman_killed_on_expendables_1.html

ejmaztec wrote: »

There was a stuntman killed on the first XxX film as well, and they kept the footage in the film, which I couldn't believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

There was a stuntman killed on the first XxX film as well, and they kept the footage in the film, which I couldn't believe!

I imagine he died of shame at the film he was in.

Vic Morrow and two kids got killed by a helicopter in the making of the Twilight Zone movie. That was the first real movie death I ever heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I just Googled for animal deaths in films and found this. Be warned if you don't want to see animal cruelty though; it shows a (very small) screen capture of the horse from Jesse James falling off the cliff.

Shockingly, animals have been killed in films as recently as 2005.
    Manderlay: A donkey is slaughtered for dramatic purposes. Actor John C Reilly, quits in protest. The scene is cut from the film before it is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I suppose the clue's in the film-title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Disney - lemmings - White Wilderness.
    http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp
    No cameramen were injured.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Who can forget the buffalo which had it's throat slit at the end of 'Apocalypse Now'.

Who says that wasn't artistic?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    i certainly am not :confused:

oh....

just me then!

Advertisement