Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Else Is Getting a PS Vita?

• 16-02-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I've decided to go ahead and get a PS Vita on launch day. Most likely I'll pick up Ridge Racer for starters and then maybe Uncharted. I wasn't 100% about the idea of getting one up until last week, I got a very good price, and felt it was the right thing to do. So it's pre ordered, paid for, and being delivered on Wednesday.

Of course I'll also have to go for a Memory Card (4GB to start) and with any luck I should be able to re-download my copy of Metal Gear Solid and FF7 from the PSOne store on PSN....just so that I have a few extra classics to play as well.

Anyone else thinking of getting one, or settled on the fact that they will, at somestage within the launch window of the format?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I might leave it a few months before getting one to see what the general reaction to them is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Wifi + Wipeout + Fifa + 8GB card for me

Feel free to add me on PSN for the Vita: davidmcginley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Yep getting one, have it pre-ordered going to pick it up in Dublin while I'm up there. Going to get Lumines, Escape Plan, Rayman and FIFA I think. Going to pick up an 8GB card too. Had nearly 300 euro worth of vouchers from christmas so thought I may aswell use them for the vita.

Ridge Racer has been delayed until the end of March by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Vita WiFi + Uncharted + Wipeout + 16GB card = £320

Plus a case for £14.99

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I might leave it a few months before getting one to see what the general reaction to them is

Same here, very wise decision... If it ends up not doing too well = no future developer support and no games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wifi + Dungeon hunter alliance + 8GB card.

Getting a few games on launch off PSN.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So an hour and a bit with the console today and being honest I'm not sold.

It's a very pretty piece of hardware, and feels nice and light yet sturdy too. But it really doesn't feel like a giant leap for handheld gaming. Compare the PSP to Vita to the DS to 3DS hardware jump and the latter emerges as the clear winner as a more significant upgrade. The screen on the PSV is very nice, no doubt, but almost felt perfunctory.

I think it was probably down to the games, in fairness. Uncharted felt like a low-grade version of its' bigger brothers. Little Deviants I lasted about two minutes before having to turn it off in frustration at the rear touchpad controls. Escape Plan looked nice but felt like a slightly poorer version of Machinarium. Gravity Crash has a lot of potential - it at least has novel central mechanics, an offbeat graphical presentation - but the demo was criminally short! Reality Fighters is basically a five minute gimmick. Super Stardust was Super Stardust! Indeed, the games that emerged favourably were the duo of Modnation Racers and Wipeout 2048, the latter particularly with some excellent graphical flourishes and sound design. But the feeling even there is that it's nothing that home consoles can't do more effectively.

TBH, it persuaded me to hold out a little longer until either more interesting software emerges or there's a price drop. Didn't see anything today to truly justify the leap, even though the hardware seems to be able to handle some things - like augmented reality and camera - better than the 3DS.

Basically, if I was offered one I'd be delighted, but wouldn't be all that pushed to spend 250 euro on one!

Oh, and yes: the loading times are ridiculously poor. I'd say a race in Wipeout takes the guts of a minute to load!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dclewis

Picking up the 3g one on wed. ( I usually brake my phones an resort back to a very old nokia so no tethering) also picking up uncharted, love the series on PS3, wipeout and maybe FIFA depending funds also have the 16 gb card ordered. Cannot wait. Roll on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Herself has preordered one for me for my birthday, haven't had a launch day console in donkey's years so I will admit, I'm very excited, wifi + uncharted + card is my plan anyway.

As long as I can download PSone classics, I'll be kept happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

RedXIV wrote: »
    As long as I can download PSone classics, I'll be kept happy!

You won't be able to straight away FYI. But I'm sure a patch will be out very shortly to sort that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Same here, very wise decision... If it ends up not doing too well = no future developer support and no games

Me too. I had it preordered, but cancelled it. I think the cons outweigh the pros at the moment, so I'll wait for a price cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    Me too. I had it preordered, but cancelled it. I think the cons outweigh the pros at the moment, so I'll wait for a price cut.

me too going to play any games from the psp I missed first and same with the ds then I'll see where the price is at probably a year from now, then there'll be a few second hand games as well.

its not small money we're talkin here!!

oh plus I bet there'll be a hardware update with longer battery life and built in memory etc.. How many psp's were there sure?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I am, can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

wifi model + 16gb card+ uncharted+wipeout+motorstorm+superstar dust+escape plan+A case = A dust collector :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wifi vita + fifa and maybe a 16 gig card

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Just Pre-ordered mine in Xtra-Vision in Knocknaccara, Galway :D, €279.99 for the Wifi model with a 4GB card and Fifa.

I had preordered with Amazon but decided to cancel it as I really wanted Fifa with it and this bundle suited me the best, also I'll be able to get my Vita on release day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Just Pre-ordered mine in Xtra-Vision in Knocknaccara, Galway :D, €279.99 for the Wifi model with a 4GB card and Fifa.

I had preordered with Amazon but decided to cancel it as I really wanted Fifa with it and this bundle suited me the best, also I'll be able to get my Vita on release day!

I migh pre-order this bundle also but was told i may not be guaranteed one at launch ? Do they sort by whoever pre-orders 1st or 1st come 1st serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

I migh pre-order this bundle also but was told i may not be guaranteed one at launch ? Do they sort by whoever pre-orders 1st or 1st come 1st serve?

I'm not sure, maybe they haven't gotten many pre-orders where i ordered it, the manager i think it was said that i'll get one on Wednesday anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its preorders first. If you haven't preordered, the only way you'll get one on launch day is if someone cancels their preorder or doesn't pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭padair

Is that offer in all of the stores?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope to god I can get my hands on a 16 gig memory card

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

3 sleeps til it's released! Just placed my order with free delivery. Link here if anyone's interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ISLDVA

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Cannot wait for Wednesday!!!!! Have mine ordered since before Christmas,(wifi version) and what makes it even better is that i dont have to part with any money for it either as i've being trading in old games over the months and have a nice little packet on my loyalty card. NICE!!!!!

Better be bloody worth it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Dont get mine until Thursday (Brisbane Time) morning :(

$630 for 3G Vita, Uncharted, Wipeout (free), Virtua Tennis and a 16gb memory card.

Not cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The problem for me is that unless it has the games to support it, it'll end up like my PSP - hidden behind the tele and barely used. Right now Uncharted is the only thing tempting me to get it. So I'll be waiting a few months to see how it pans out and what gets released. I might get it with a price drop or ask for it for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Never buying handheld again, they all end up sitting in a press in my kitchen... lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Some Wallpapers I did in preperation for Wednesday (Note you can have as many icons as you want on a vita home page to a max of 10)

Wipeout Lock Screen
    jBlo.png

Wipeout Home Screen (10 Apps)
    chwQ.png

Uncharted Lock Screen
    xtEe.png

Uncharted Home Screen (6 Apps)
    uRYd.png

Last Story Lock Screen
    ruNr.png

Last Story Home Screen (6 Apps)
    ZcNa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I'm not really sure yet, will have to see how it fairs with game releases before spending that kind of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

my bundle:
    wifi 16gb uncharted bundle,
    ultimate marvel vs capcom
    fifa
    everybodys golf
    starter pack
    rayman
    gravity rush
    and im not sure wether to get f1 or a 50 euro psn card

but for 550 im very happy (consdering 527.82 was trade ins) gotta love that 25% extra cool.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I had planned on getting a Vita on launch day for a long time, but after a lot of hands on time with the console and most of the big launch titles I just can't justify spending €250 yet.

In my opinion, the console is going to suffer initially without a solid set of launch titles. The Vita is a lovely piece of hardware, but its useless without some good games. Uncharted looks great, but I didn't enjoy playing it. Everybody's Golf was by far my favourite of the titles, just for its pick-up-and-play accessibility and general fun.

I'm confident that after 6-8 months the Vita will get a price drop and hopefully some more great games - I think that's when it will be a good time to buy it.

Advertisement