Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Rawhead wrote: »
    In fairness some of them do a good job. The majority would be lag lovers though. The nuns in one particular Dublin prison are a despicable bunch altogether and have been caught passing phones and other contraband over the years.
    Another yoke down the country a few years back began to think he was an officer. He took to carrying a radio and one day he "stood down" staff responding to an alarm because he looked out his office window which overlooked the yard and deemed that the situation was under control. He was quietly touched on soon after.

Surely being caught bringing in contraband would be grounds for instant removal from the prison , never to return ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Delancey wrote: »
    Surely being caught bringing in contraband would be grounds for instant removal from the prison , never to return ??

A certain well known Governor would have shielded them, they all had the same thug hugging agenda. If it happened now they would be arrested and cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

A certain well known Governor would have shielded them, they all had the same thug hugging agenda. If it happened now they would be arrested and cleared.

Never a truer word spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

that happened ages ago!
    it was some dirtbird in thunder home cafe.
    the nuns should cop on! she should have been done as an accessory :mad:
    *****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

pada1981 wrote: »
    well if youfollowed the whole thread muppet, you would see that i was looking for advice, youll be easy to spot , you'll be the dude with his head up his own arse!!!! muppet

Ding Dong....Is that you using a different name????????

480905 wrote: »

Good one!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No.
    Probably just another rookie that didn't find your condescending arrogance as inspiring as you seem to think you are.

Anyone see the package offered by the Northern Ireland Prison Service seeking 500 voluntary leavers ?
    Example - an officer on £ STG 35,000 will get a taxfree lump sum of 55,500 plus 3 more payments equating to 21 months pay plus a pension of 18,800 p.a.

Already announced that those leaving will be replaced by new officers on vastly different contracts and lower pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Delancey wrote: »
    Anyone see the package offered by the Northern Ireland Prison Service seeking 500 voluntary leavers ?
    Example - an officer on £ STG 35,000 will get a taxfree lump sum of 55,500 plus 3 more payments equating to 21 months pay plus a pension of 18,800 p.a.

Already announced that those leaving will be replaced by new officers on vastly different contracts and lower pay.
    how much service do they need to have to be able to leave , think i would jump at it if i got the chance the way things are going here

• Advertisement

cordub wrote: »
    how much service do they need to have to be able to leave , think i would jump at it if i got the chance the way things are going here

As far as I know it's available to everyone. It obviously won't be anything near those terms for someone with only a few years service. From talking to some of the lads up there it really only suits a few officers, the majority who took the previous package (which was much better) ended up regretting leaving I believe.
    What would you do as a forty something ex PO. The twenty years you'd have done in the job would make you worse than useless. Can you imagine being back in the human world.
    Boss: Morning Mr Warder, can you stack the beans in aisle 3 please.
    PO: I'm early dinner horse.
    Boss: Your what?
    PO: and I'm on a medical in the afternoon.
    Boss: a what in the afternoon.
    PO: Your bullying me.

Can you imagine being back in the human world.

by far the funniest post I've read on this thread(nearly as funny as ding-dongs;);))

Well done for getting it spot on:D:D:D

ps Don't forget....PO: any chance of a gate pass!!!!

The NI Government is budgeting £60 million STG for the scheme , its accepted that its not as generous as the ' Patten ' scheme for voluntary leavers from the PSNI ( almost all former RUC officers ) - some of the payouts there were astronomical but that was when money was not as tight as now.

What would you do as a forty something ex PO. The twenty years you'd have done in the job would make you worse than useless. Can you imagine being back in the human world.
    ha ha very funny :D
    who are you telling me what to do? whats your pay number? wha?
    "spillage in the mushroom aisle"
    oh wait thats just a sheeser getting excited :P

edit - poor ding dong :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15636067

Its the shape of things to come here too...

No.
    Probably just another rookie that didn't find your condescending arrogance as inspiring as you seem to think you are.

See the Welfare horse.... Was only joking.... Taking yourself far too seriously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15636067

Its the shape of things to come here too...
    yeah delancey its pretty crap here too and more to come. i think its better to have a laugh than to get annoyed.
    lol i have 20e to do me till next thursday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

i have 20e to do me till next thursday :eek:

Wanna game of lives???

LoanShark wrote: »
    Wanna game of lives???
    well that all depends chicken. i have heard of the male locker room playing strip tease when they run out of money. ;)

and in fairness to them they do it with no inhibitions. i get a flash from time to time :o

more power to them.

why do the girls get an iron and a fridge and a hair straightner and the boys get a pool table and a dart board?

seems more fun in the boys locker room :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

See the Welfare horse.... Was only joking.... Taking yourself far too seriously.

...then in that case I retract my comment.
    Though you should know better than to toy with a warders fragile mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So they've rolled out the new epaulettes in Mountjoy and St. Pat's. The difference is that these new ones have a letter and number on them, more or less identical to the Gardai. They have officially been labelled as ID numbers and carry no rank or senioroty merit. Officers have been given orders that these epaulettes are now standard issue uniform to be worn from December onwards. I've already seen the majority of staff in both named prisons wearing them, myself included.

What are the general thoughts on this?
    Should Prison Officers be visibly branded, for want of a better word, while inmates are not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 yvette32

I thought the idea of introducing numbers was to have better accountability and was driven by the Inspector of Prisons. Don't know much about it but it seems to make sense. What difference does it make whether or not the prisoners are numbered or not? Surely the staff know them all anyway?

Omackeral wrote: »
    So they've rolled out the new epaulettes in Mountjoy and St. Pat's. The difference is that these new ones have a letter and number on them, more or less identical to the Gardai. They have officially been labelled as ID numbers and carry no rank or senioroty merit. Officers have been given orders that these epaulettes are now standard issue uniform to be worn from December onwards. I've already seen the majority of staff in both named prisons wearing them, myself included.

Should Prison Officers be visibly branded, for want of a better word, while inmates are not?
    I agree with you Macheral what stops a prisoner setting you up by learning off your id number and using it to your detrement , remember we are not dealing withnice law abiding citizens like the garda are a lot of the time ,We are dealing with CONVICTED law breaking offenders mostly . Amazing yet again that the offender is not "branded " by a number on their back i suppose that would be called inhumane treatment for the poor oul prisoners :(:(:(:(

just onto my union rep and they were told about the new rule and AGGREED to it am not impressed this is the first I have heard of these new epulettes why are we the members the last to know about new practices being implemented I wonder why we bother to pay into a union at all a pure and utter waste of [url]money:mad::mad::mad::mad[/url]:

yvette32 wrote: »
    I thought the idea of introducing numbers was to have better accountability and was driven by the Inspector of Prisons. Don't know much about it but it seems to make sense. What difference does it make whether or not the prisoners are numbered or not? Surely the staff know them all anyway?
    your obviously not an officer if you say" surely staff know the prisoner "lol you have no idea of the amount of people that can go through one jail in one day , in the case of cloverhill ( a remand Prison) it could be hundreds . how on earth could you know their names also the amount of non irish people with unpronouncable names and no english ,Yes we know the fellas that cause trouble because they usually hurt officers and we know the lads thats are in and out all the time but on a day to day bases it would be impossible to KNOW all them :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 yvette32

cordub wrote: »
    your obviously not an officer if you say" surely staff know the prisoner "lol you have no idea of the amount of people that can go through one jail in one day , in the case of cloverhill ( a remand Prison) it could be hundreds . how on earth could you know their names also the amount of non irish people with unpronouncable names and no english ,Yes we know the fellas that cause trouble because they usually hurt officers and we know the lads thats are in and out all the time but on a day to day bases it would be impossible to KNOW all them :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My apologies, seems I have been naieve! I had assumed as the officers are in charge that it would be relatively easy to id a prisoner as the areas prisoners can access is bound to be controlled. I assumed that you would have access to cctv, photos of the prisoners, IT systems etc. Do prisoners not have id cards for the shop and stuff? As you pointed out I'm not an officer, just a student interested in the job!!

This was driven by the inspector of prisons and was aimed primarily at the SSU officers on the gate that deal with the public so as they could identify them for complaints. No lag has ever had a problem identifying an officer against whom they have a complaint. They have even been hidden in blacked out vans outside prisons as officers finish work in a bid to identify staff.
    This is a huge waste of money and was done to keep the IoP happy. I'm surprised that a different colour to the Guards wasn't used as they are exactly the same (which some officers seem to enjoy).

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Its a bit of a storm in a teacup to be honest! By the time the transformation team are finished with us in a year or two we'll look back at this change and realise how insignificant it was, Unfortunately!

Salmon wrote: »
    Its a bit of a storm in a teacup to be honest! By the time the transformation team are finished with us in a year or two we'll look back at this change and realise how insignificant it was, Unfortunately!

Agreed. We are firmly on the slippery slope I believe. The job will be unrecogniseable in a year or two.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »

god i thought mr dingdong bell killed the thread ages ago tongue.gif

did they? i've been on leave for a week! i hope i get 666 or f u 2!
    i know wheatfield got theirs last week or the week before. but not to wear them until the 1st december.

i don't really care. theres cameras everywhere anyway. no skin off my shoulder.

lol what will happen when you have to suit up in c+r gear? take that valuable few seconds to superglue your epaulettes on tongue.gif

anyway in the grand scheme of things i don't think it matters. its not like we can kick their heads in like we used to :D

you use your epaulette now instead of your pay number when answering correspondance? yeah whatever. i don't care.

theres cameras everywhere. it makes no difference.

Advertisement