Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ... vista update and o2 usb

• 08-05-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,
    A friend of mine has vista and o2 broadband(which i recommended!) . Was working fine untill last weekend (04/05/08), when Micro bleedin Soft decided to release an update for vista. Well its now buggered up the usb for o2. It connects to the internet and then at random times ( sumtimes 4mins sumtimes 15mins) decides not to recongise the modem.
    I have been on to o2, and they said it was the update and that its worldwide and is effecting alot of usb connected devices ( mouse, printer etc) He said they were in talks with microsoft ( dunno if i believe that though!).

Does anybody know of a fix for this problem?, it of course has no mention on the o2 site.
    Does this mean that vista now no longer supports o2 broadband?

Please anybody esle have the same problem , or a fix for it

Thanks in advance
    J:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Some info
    O2 weren't bullsh*tting you :(

Try installing the re-released patch

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭cbreeze

same here - 02 said it was vistas updates. The said to change the device to a different port and this worked. But its variable, had three crashdumps today one after another before the device settled. Tends to crash more if you enter details too quickly. O2 said this was reported by a lot of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭el diablo

cbreeze wrote: »
    same here - 02 said it was vistas updates. The said to change the device to a different port and this worked. But its variable, had three crashdumps today one after another before the device settled. Tends to crash more if you enter details too quickly. O2 said this was reported by a lot of users.

I tried installing the patch but I'm still having problems occassionally. Seems to be ok today, it hasn't disconnected as yet..

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shaneosullivan

I have also had the same problem over the last few weeks, but with Windows XP. The connection drops every 3 or 4 minutes, and I have to reenter the pin number.

Has anyone solved this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's been a big issue for me aswell. I've tried it on 3 laptops, one Vista Ultimate, one Vista Premium and one XP Home and all had the disconnect problem. The XP laptop was worst. I once was disconnected after 3 seconds:mad:

I haven't noticed any other problems with any othe USB connected devices though...

• Advertisement

I rang O2 about this (I have Win XP on a IBM Thinkpad laptop), and they gave me a workaround for the problem.

In control panel, click "System".
    Click the "Hardware" tab
    Click the "Device Manager" button.

At the bottom of the window that opens you should see "Universal Serial Bus controllers". Expand that out by clicking the + sign.

There should be one or more items called "USB Root Hub". On each of these, right click, choose "Properties". Click the "Power Management" tab. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

And that's it!

I rang O2 about this (I have Win XP on a IBM Thinkpad laptop), and they gave me a workaround for the problem.

In control panel, click "System".
    Click the "Hardware" tab
    Click the "Device Manager" button.

At the bottom of the window that opens you should see "Universal Serial Bus controllers". Expand that out by clicking the + sign.

There should be one or more items called "USB Root Hub". On each of these, right click, choose "Properties". Click the "Power Management" tab. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

And that's it!
    I tried that solution on Windows Vista Premium but no joy. I'm having terrible problems with my modem disconnection every few minutes (or seconds) and giving an error message when I attempt to reconnect.
    The only solution that O2 can give me is to wait for a patch to become available.
    What a crap service. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone... :mad:

It turns out that the solution they gave me only worked for a few hours, perhaps just coincidence. It has gone back to disconnecting every few minutes. So bloody annoying. One thing I've found is that if you're constantly downloading, say over BitTorrent, it doesn't seem to shut off, perhaps because Windows doesn't consider the device to be inactive.

I've come up with what seems to be a working solution for the moment - a Windows batch script that lists the contents of the Modem every 5 seconds. It seems to stop windows from powering it down.

Have a look here - http://shaneosullivan.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/temporary-solution-for-using-huawei-modems-in-windows/

I've come up with what seems to be a working solution for the moment - a Windows batch script that lists the contents of the Modem every 5 seconds. It seems to stop windows from powering it down.

Have a look here - http://shaneosullivan.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/temporary-solution-for-using-huawei-modems-in-windows/

ok, I mght try that but will it also work on Vista do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,119 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wish i didnt skip that whole bit about making batch files last year in college :(

OK, so I updated the post with a link to the file that you can just download. *sigh* editing text files in notepad is, like, sooooo, tricky :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lorraine1974

Hi, anyone still having issues with Vista and O2 broadband. :mad: I have been onto O2 and they don't have an estimate of when they will have a resolution!! I spoke to one guy last week and was told that they are close to s solution then today spoke to another person today and was told that they are no where near a solution !!!!
    Shane I have tried your file but no luck, thanks though!
    This evening it's not that bad, I've been on for about 15 mins now and no loss off connection. The longest I have been able to stay connected for a long time now !

Hi, anyone still having issues with Vista and O2 broadband. :mad: I have been onto O2 and they don't have an estimate of when they will have a resolution!! I spoke to one guy last week and was told that they are close to s solution then today spoke to another person today and was told that they are no where near a solution !!!!
    Shane I have tried your file but no luck, thanks though!
    This evening it's not that bad, I've been on for about 15 mins now and no loss off connection. The longest I have been able to stay connected for a long time now !

Yep, I have the same problem and I was told by O2 that they have no solution at the moment. I had some big problems at the weekend with the modem disconnecting every few minutes (or seconds) but today it seems to be ok...
    Hope they get it sorted soon or I'll be demanding a refund..

Yes the weekend gone was just crap all right I had little pop up boxes saying Test in them too ????
    It hasn't disconnected me an hour later so fingers crossed they have sorted something.
    I was onto them this morning and told them that I want to cancel etc. I'm only signed up with O2 broadband since the 4th April and have only had about 3 weeks of it working perfect. I said that I want to cancel, so if I do they will refund me what i have been charged to date but not the cost of the Modem as it's outside the happiness period !!! :mad: They said if I stay with them and hang in there till the issue is resolved they will credit back what I have been charged for the duration of the issue ... but how long will that be ???
    So if I was you I would be onto them in the morning saying that you want to be credited back what you have been charged to date.

Yes the weekend gone was just crap all right I had little pop up boxes saying Test in them too ????
    It hasn't disconnected me an hour later so fingers crossed they have sorted something.
    I was onto them this morning and told them that I want to cancel etc. I'm only signed up with O2 broadband since the 4th April and have only had about 3 weeks of it working perfect. I said that I want to cancel, so if I do they will refund me what i have been charged to date but not the cost of the Modem as it's outside the happiness period !!! :mad: They said if I stay with them and hang in there till the issue is resolved they will credit back what I have been charged for the duration of the issue ... but how long will that be ???
    So if I was you I would be onto them in the morning saying that you want to be credited back what you have been charged to date.
    yep cheers, I'll call them tomorrow. . Since I last posted a couple of hours ago the modem has been disconnecting ever couple of minutes. :mad:

WHAT A CRAP SERVICE.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Shane's script, if implemented correctly, does work.

I have tested on 6 machines that were having this issue.

Cheers, Shane.

el diablo wrote: »
    yep cheers, I'll call them tomorrow. . Since I last posted a couple of hours ago the modem has been disconnecting ever couple of minutes. :mad:

WHAT A CRAP SERVICE.....

I'm sorry, but posting such wild inaccuracies is extremely distorting of the truth.

The problem is not O2's coverage, nor is it their/Huawei's hardware.

It is Microsoft, releasing dodgy, untested patches that are the culprit here.

Choose your words more carefully.

Shane's script, if implemented correctly, does work.

I have tested on 6 machines that were having this issue.

Cheers, Shane.

Vista or XP?

I'm sorry, but posting such wild inaccuracies is extremely distorting of the truth.

The problem is not O2's coverage, nor is it their/Huawei's hardware.

It is Microsoft, releasing dodgy, untested patches that are the culprit here.

Choose your words more carefully.

Are you on O2's payroll? I never claimed that the problem was O2's coverage..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Vista or XP?

*cough*

It says Vista in the title.

Are you on O2's payroll? I never claimed that the problem was O2's coverage..:rolleyes:

Not in so many words, but you did say this, which can easily be interpreted as a put down of the quality of service, i.e. coverage, you are getting.
    WHAT A CRAP SERVICE.....

I don't think O2 could afford me, sorry. :o

*cough*

It says Vista in the title.

what title? I was asking was shaneosullivan's script a solution for Vista or XP? you should read the question before responding. *cough*:rolleyes:

what title? I was asking was shaneosullivan's script a solution for Vista or XP? you should read the question before responding. *cough*:rolleyes:

You can use the script on XP, but the thread is about O2 modem problems with Vista OS.

I've yet to come across an XP machine with this problem.

Seemingly O2 will have a fix out this week ... will wait and see but then again I have been listening to that since the start !!! :rolleyes:
    Just been in an O2 shop today and they have said to swap the modem out for the stick usb one as opposed to the pepple shapped one. There is no issue with the pepple shapped one.
    Gonna swap out tomorrow and see!

Seemingly O2 will have a fix out this week ... will wait and see but then again I have been listening to that since the start !!! :rolleyes:
    Just been in an O2 shop today and they have said to swap the modem out for the stick usb one as opposed to the pepple shapped one. There is no issue with the pepple shapped one.
    Gonna swap out tomorrow and see!

seems the problem hasn't been fixed. I'm still having the same problem with the new firmware. It's not quite as bad as before because it reconnects straight away now (rather than having to disconnect and reconnected the modem from my laptop) but it's been really bad today, disconnecting every 5-10 minutes.

I haven't had any issues with it now since I installed the update that was put on the O2 website. I hope it's not going to start up again !! :mad:

I haven't had any issues with it now since I installed the update that was put on the O2 website. I hope it's not going to start up again !! :mad:

I installed the new updated firmware early last week and it was fine for the first few days but since yesterday I've been having the same old problems with the connection dropping. It's happening again today..:rolleyes:

Advertisement