Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spray for bitch in heat

• 14-05-2008 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

somebody said to me the other day thats there's a spray i can get to put on a bitch in heat that will deter the smell of her in season and prevent any dogs coming near her. anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

why don't you just get her spayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

kerrysgold wrote: »
    why don't you just get her spayed?

because i will eventually breed from her. Im just wondering has anyone heard about this spray or do they know anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

well unless she's an excellent example of her breed (pure, good bloodlines, perfect conformation + temperament etc) then you shouldn't breed her anyway. I'm not saying she isn't, but there isn't any point in breeding a so-so dog in case she is.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    well unless she's an excellent example of her breed (pure, good bloodlines, perfect conformation + temperament etc) then you shouldn't breed her anyway. I'm not saying she isn't, but there isn't any point in breeding a so-so dog in case she is.

Yes she is all the above.
    Does anyone have any info on this spray i have heard about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think there is a spray available but not sure how effective it is, a dog that smells a bitch in heat can be very determined so the only ans is really keeping her behind a very high fence. It's more difficult when out walking though.

There is a jab they can get (I think to prevent heat but you would have to talk to your vet about that ) but this has a lot of side effect I believe in. Mabey someone else can shed more light on that.

Unless the dog is registered and is a very good quality spaying is the best way to permanently keep dogs away from her depending on her breed the market is already over run with dogs not all of the highest quality. Not saying yours isn't but its something to consider and will solve the long term problem some dogs can stay in heat for a long time which can be a nuisance.

• Advertisement

I think there is a spray available but not sure how effective it is, a dog that smells a bitch in heat can be very determined so the only ans is really keeping her behind a very high fence. It's more difficult when out walking though.

have you heard of anyone that has used it or its results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I bought it once in a shop that sells horse and general animal supplies, brown animal feeds in laois. Its called bitch spray, I don't know if it is any good though, I got it for my friend as a joke.:D

Here is a pic of her with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A neighbour tried it for medical reasons the dog can't be spayed and even with high fencing there is one male in particular who still managed to get in. With dogs sense of smell being to acute I don't think a spray would work very well. Its not expensive should be able to get it in the pet shop I think it's made by Johnsons you could give it a try anyway.

I bought it once in a shop that sells horse and general animal supplies, brown animal feeds in laois. Its called bitch spray, I don't know if it is any good though, I got it for my friend as a joke.:D

Here is a pic of her with it.
    great im in laois, i'l check it out. thanks

ps- -your very cheeky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Personally I think all of these sprays are probably rubbish, considering that a male dog can smell a bitch in heat from up to 4 MILES away, no smell in a can is going to cover that effect, is it? Just keep her indoors and under supervision, all you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

In my kennels, I've a separate exercise area for bitches in heat I would not rely on sprays.

Keep a close eye on her when she is in heat as accidents can happen very easily

Advertisement