Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you curl your hair?

• 11-11-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I have poker straight, very fine long hair. Delighted in that it's very manageable, but I'm absolutely sick to death of the same old boring straight look.

Using a GHD or a curling thongs I can get a good curl out of it but regardless of how much hairspray I use, most of the curls have fallen by the time I get into town.

I was looking at the Babyliss heated hair rollers there and been reading mixed reviews from people with fine hair - a few saying they didn't get a curl out of it at all, some others saying they had a gorgeous curl but lasted only an hour.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can curl my hair (ala-Lana Del Rey or Victoria Secret model) and actually have it stay till midnight at least?? Is there a miracle hairspray that I haven't found? Or some trick like adding mousse when it's wet?

Or am I forever helpless in managing to achieve this kind of hairstyle :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

They key to keeping curls in for hours is letting the hair cool while still in a curl shape. So, if you are using a tongs, got some bobby pins and pin the curl to your head and allow to cool until totally cold (this could take 15/20 mins depending on your hair). Then give your hair a really good all over dose of hairspray (I, personally, like Elnett but whatever you use yourself) and allow this coating of hairspray to dry on the head while the curls are still pinned. Once this has dried, unpin the curls and give it another spritz of hairspray.

Mousse is a good idea to put in before you start curling - can help give texture to the hair and help with volume. The method shown in the video, with rollers, is good but if you have hair that is very bad at holding surl, it may end up with the same results are using a tongs in a regular way.

When it comes to keeping the curls - heat and humidity are the enemy. If your hair gets damp (from the weather, the atmosphere in the club, you sweating etc.) the curls will fall out. I also have hair that is a bit sh!t at holding curls, but mine is super thick, but I have tried the above method a few times and it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

I have the same hair type as you, poker straight but with a bit of a 'kink'. I always put mousse in my hair after washing it, primarily because I find it gives my hair a bit of extra volume and 'ooomph' that it doesn't have without, but I do find it holds a curl in better whenever I curl my hair.

I normally use a GHD to curl my hair and plenty of hairspray but my sister (who has faaaar straighter hair than me) has started using a curling wand, I think it's this one http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4430171/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHealth+and+personal+care%7C14418350/c_2/3%7C19805475%7CHair+care%7C14418399/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418399%7CCurling+tongs%7C23719045.htm
    but it's brilliant, holds the curl very well in her hair and mine. I'd definitely recommend it if you're having trouble keeping the curl in your hair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I find as well like with any hairstyle it's best not to wash the hair directly before curling. Try day old hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I have very straight thick hair and I use my ghd and babyliss heated rollers. As another poster said, curling your hair and letting it fall straight away won't create a lasting curl, pin them up until just before you're leaving the house

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The only thing that will curl my poker straight hair, and my hairdresser even told me there was no point in using anything else, is a curling wand. I have the Babyliss one and it's great! I have to make quite tight curls at first, but then they loosen up to lovely ones by the time I go out. I've actually had curls that last 2 days from the wand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

^^ Same! Usual hair curling routine is heat protection spray, styling mousse, Remington curling wand, don't generally bother with hairspray as I find the mousse helps hold them while keeping them soft and able to move. The curls will always stay put til I next wash my hair (about 3 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I have a Hot Tools curling iron, which comes with a clamp. I'll have to look into how to take the clamp off though because I find the hair that gets caught on either side comes out in a horrible 1990s-style crimp :(
    The Cool wrote: »
    ^^ Same! Usual hair curling routine is heat protection spray, styling mousse, Remington curling wand, don't generally bother with hairspray as I find the mousse helps hold them while keeping them soft and able to move. The curls will always stay put til I next wash my hair (about 3 days).

What kind of mousse do you use? And you put it in dry hair? I always stayed clear of them after a girl in school told me her mousse was making her hair fall out :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I've the same problem as you OP. I have the Babyliss Heated Rollers and they're really good! I mousse my hair before drying it; I use the Boots brand...think it's in a yellow can. Keep the hair in the rollers until cold, spray with Elnett (the volumising one) then release them. Have to spray it again with hairspray.

It always falls out after a while in the heat but stays in place during the day.

Another recommendation for the curling wand.
    The curls can survive for two days with it. No other method, has ever lasted more than a couple of hours for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

shoos wrote: »

What kind of mousse do you use? And you put it in dry hair? I always stayed clear of them after a girl in school told me her mousse was making her hair fall out :eek:

That's odd! Only thing i can imagine making that happen is if she was using a lot of it and then using a hot styler (curler or GHD) while the mousse was still damp, as that might cause breakage? That's just a guess!

I would either put it in half way through drying, or before curling, but I don't go overboard and always wait til it's dried in. if you use too much mousse it'll go weird on you, not like natural curls, more crunchy like a dread nearly! i usually use VO5 I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

I have poker straight hair too. I have babyliss heated rollers and remington pearl wand. The rollers will curl but they fall out and i use them more for volume but my god the wand is just the business. Curled my hair a couple of weeks ago for a hen and i had curly sue curls for two days. I spent the whole two days just saying to my friends "look look i just cant believe my hair is still curly!"

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭xtinataguba

wow, i have long hair and i love to curl it sometimes but i dont know how. so thank you for this post! it gives me tips on how to curl my hair. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I use my remington curling wand, I have the thick one. I have babyliss heated rollers too, and sometimes I use my sleep rollers. I have long thick straight hair so I have an obsession with getting the perfect curl :(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

The gf used to use a babyliss wand and the curls would come out but now she has something called a sedu and she's constantly going on about it. She can do the wavey things or the little sausage curls with them and it doesn't take her too long but if she had perfect curls one day she'd have curly waves on day 3. So i would suggest trying that maybe? I know a few (2 or 3) girls have bought it after seeing her hair and have been v happy with it

Advertisement