Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

animaX wrote: »
    Getting slightly back on topic:

are there any other unmissable ps2 rpgs/turn-based-strategy games other than persona 3/4, dragon quest 8, FFX/12, disgaea?
    dont get digital devil saga (unless it is very very very cheap) i fall asleep everytime i turn it on :(

for ps2 era i'd recommend the Valkyrie Profile 2(hybrid Action+turnbased RPG, most of the time you discover the area like a scrollside action game but the battle is 3D) and Odinsphere (scrollside ARPG). both amazing games. if you like Tales series rpg you can grab the ps1ported version of ToD 1/2, the rest is a hit and miss. heard Wild arms is ok but never play them.

Currently im playing Orge tactic at chapter 4. SE should hire me to improve the battle/game system lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bloody Cúchulainn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yup Phantasy Star 2 looks crap. I'd like to say it was an early MD game from 1989 but it actually looks much worse than the first game on master system. The battle screens look ok but the master system one had much better background graphics. Also the top down dungeons look woeful compared to the amazing looking 3D mazes in the original.

Anyway I want to get through the series so I can enjoy the absolute classic that is Phantasy Star 4.
    Are you playing those via theSega Mega Drive: Ultimate Collection? if so what's the emulation like?

noodler wrote: »
    Bloody Cúchulainn
    LOL i know right. how are you suppose to survive that sh!t if you faced him the first time haha.

OT:
    currently playing Orge tactic near the end i think. the hidden character pirate looks pretty cool. on my way to get. he looks like hawkeye from one piece if anyone read it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

penev10 wrote: »
    Are you playing those via theSega Mega Drive: Ultimate Collection? if so what's the emulation like?

Nope, on an emulator in the Wii homebrew channel. Emulation on the ultimate collection is meant to be great.

Be warned if you are not familiar with Phantasy Star 2. It's extremely old shool and grind heavy, more so than FF1, and you'll need a map for the dungeons, the original game came with an entire players guide and you'll need it.

• Advertisement

seraphimvc wrote: »
    LOL i know right. how are you suppose to survive that sh!t if you faced him the first time haha.

I have no idea. I have run him close a few times but I really don't think my team is strong enough to beat him.

The biggest problem is that the starting places for the 5-man team are such that it is pretty impossible for three of the five not to be infected by sleep or doom.

My team lacks a decent chemist or even white mage that can cure status ailments so I am kind of at a loss.

Another serious issue is that it is at a point in the game where you can't go do a few random encounters as its the third battle in a row where you can only save but not access the world map.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did nobody warn you not to make 2 save games whenever you have two battles in a row. It's a big flaw with the game. I managed to beat cuchulainn but it was tough. There's an item that you can buy that negates the negative status effects he causes but sure you can't get it now. Make sure you keep two save files for these multiple encounters because it only gets worse from here.

^yup i remember the very first time i played, i just give up after 2 attempt and load the save file before i entered the 3-continuous missions, got some anti sleep (?or anything that helps) status accessory for the main characters and some antidote/remedy etc before i go in again. i have like 2 dragoons so i can use jump to avoid his first few round's insane aoe attack.

Did nobody warn you not to make 2 save games whenever you have two battles in a row. It's a big flaw with the game. I managed to beat cuchulainn but it was tough. There's an item that you can buy that negates the negative status effects he causes but sure you can't get it now. Make sure you keep two save files for these multiple encounters because it only gets worse from here.

Hah, now that you mention it I am sure I read you saying the same thing a year or so ago.

I do have an earlier file but I don't think it is earlier enough...
    seraphimvc wrote: »
    ^yup i remember the very first time i played, i just give up after 2 attempt and load the save file before i entered the 3-continuous missions, got some anti sleep (?or anything that helps) status accessory for the main characters and some antidote/remedy etc before i go in again. i have like 2 dragoons so i can use jump to avoid his first few round's insane aoe attack.

All these cool classes like Ninja and Dragoon that I have no idea how to develop!

What is the ****ing point of 'Raise' if it misses 4 times in a ****ing row.

This is the most unreliable game I have played in quite a while.

• Advertisement

Oh Suck it Cuchalen!

Lucky circumstances.

He used a bio attack first for the first time in my experience that missed ALL THREE party members. I then hit him with slow and he couldn't kill me fast enough.

Lesson learned, multiple save files.

lol that's very lucky indeed. ahye, you NEED to get dual wield asap(Ninja, the most broken job ever) and i think dragoon's overpowerness will be gradually decreasing from this point but still worthy to invest one in your team, jump is the best ability to kill mages.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Beat Dragon Quest VI, now playing Cthulhu Saves The World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Beat Dragon Quest VI, now playing Cthulhu Saves The World.

Beat Cthulhu Saves the World, will soon be starting DQVI! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lasersquad

Valhalla Knights - avoided it for long time, being silly enough to believe Metacritic. Now can`t put it down. Yes, the camera sucks, big time. Got used to it though, the combat is very good (and I`m not a big fan of action systems) gfx stunning and game structure very addictive.

Crusaders Of Centy - chop!chop!throw!chop!... so daft :) But fun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Final Fantasy XII - Zodiac something or another thingymibob. It's really f*cking good. Fixes near enough every problem that XII had. Mist quickenings no longer use MP and work similar to overdrives or limit breaks. You can buy every gambit after escaping from Nalbina, so you no longer have to play most of the game with a nerfed combat system. They also include a frameskip 'turbo' mode to fastforward through grinding. It's like an emulator in that respect. It seems geared towards replays, especially as there are 12 job classes in the game and the most you'll see in one playthrough is 6. The job system itself is a lot like FF1-3. Your characters will be far more limited in what they can equip and what skills they can learn so they're not interchangable like in XII (and every other FF title since VI, excluding IX and XIII). They also include a 100 level 'trial' mode which means now you actually have an incentive to get all the super rare equipment. They've removed all damage limits as well

Finally beat Phantasy Star 2. It was a total grind fest with not much story but did have some good points. It makes a great attempt at some social commentary and the ending is absolutely cracking, really surprised me.

Now back to Xenoblade.

Well into Chapter for in FFT.

Its dragging on a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XII - Zodiac something or another thingymibob. It's really f*cking good. Fixes near enough every problem that XII had. Mist quickenings no longer use MP and work similar to overdrives or limit breaks. You can buy every gambit after escaping from Nalbina, so you no longer have to play most of the game with a nerfed combat system. They also include a frameskip 'turbo' mode to fastforward through grinding. It's like an emulator in that respect. It seems geared towards replays, especially as there are 12 job classes in the game and the most you'll see in one playthrough is 6. The job system itself is a lot like FF1-3. Your characters will be far more limited in what they can equip and what skills they can learn so they're not interchangable like in XII (and every other FF title since VI, excluding IX and XIII). They also include a 100 level 'trial' mode which means now you actually have an incentive to get all the super rare equipment. They've removed all damage limits as well

wow that really sounds like it fixes alot of things. the damage limit removed will really help the Summons which were probably the most underpowered things I've even seen in a game, since yer one's Monster badges in Dark cloud2/chronicle: An entire part of the game made to weak to actually be of any use, even for fun.

I stayed up last and had the most epically insane 12 hours of gaming I've had for the past 6 years probably.

I tried to go from floor 1-100 in the Item world in Disgaea 3 without exiting.
    there were at least 4 times in those 12 hours (no saving) where It was looking like absolute failure. the only times I'd stop is if I found a floor with invincible tiles and used them to level everyone up.

there were times when my strong team mated would get killed and I'd need to find the Item world village so I'd be hurpling along with lesser team mates trying to make do.
    The last few levels, say 70 and up with monsters of approx level 190-250 (and my team approx level 80 bar 2 people on level 103 and 140 respectively) were full motion pictures in themselves.
    On the 98th floor I got two of my strong team mates out and stood them on reverse damage tiles. Then a flood on monsters from those pad things which spawn hoards of them, one guy got healed to death and the other stood there for approximately 3:30 hours killing the healers then running out of SP, so just attacking every round, I eventually got a trophy I didnt know existed one for getting a combo of '255', but in the end by the time the he cleared the screen I would guess I attacked about 3/400 times. all while standing there on my own, no help possible my teams average level was about 70 and the monsters were 210, if anyone tried to help they've been instantly destroyed(as they couldn't reach the reverse damage tiles).

Then on Floor99 the dash to the gate went wrong, and my entire team that were out including my brave soldier from the previous level now level 192 were instantly annihilated. One random team mate in the corner survived, so I threw literally the last 3 human team mates I had in a chain to her, they throw her to the gate, and she walked in to floor 100.
    when I got to floor 100 I did a throw chain to the gate and ****ing SAVED!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Sounds epic :cool:

noodler wrote: »
    Well into Chapter for in FFT.

Its dragging on a little.

Completed FFT just there.

It becomes much easier when you get Orlandeau.

However, I think I'd have been driven mad if the game didn't give you him since the sheer number of battles (especially towards the end) really made the game drag.

I have to be honest, I was absolutely lost when it came to the story for the last 75% of the game (pretty much everything from Chapter 2 onwards).

Nevertheless, twas entertaining and had some nice moments storywise.

Better editing in terms of the number of battles and story would have helped.

Anyway, I don't think I can hold of buying ME3 any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Fire Emblem >>> FFT

Can't understand the love for FFT.

Congrats on beating FFT, it's a tough one to get through.
    penev10 wrote: »
    Can't understand the love for FFT.

Heavily borken and exploitable job systems rock!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I stayed up last and had the most epically insane 12 hours of gaming I've had for the past 6 years probably.

I tried to go from floor 1-100 in the Item world in Disgaea 3 without exiting.
    there were at least 4 times in those 12 hours (no saving) where It was looking like absolute failure. the only times I'd stop is if I found a floor with invincible tiles and used them to level everyone up.

there were times when my strong team mated would get killed and I'd need to find the Item world village so I'd be hurpling along with lesser team mates trying to make do.
    The last few levels, say 70 and up with monsters of approx level 190-250 (and my team approx level 80 bar 2 people on level 103 and 140 respectively) were full motion pictures in themselves.
    On the 98th floor I got two of my strong team mates out and stood them on reverse damage tiles. Then a flood on monsters from those pad things which spawn hoards of them, one guy got healed to death and the other stood there for approximately 3:30 hours killing the healers then running out of SP, so just attacking every round, I eventually got a trophy I didnt know existed one for getting a combo of '255', but in the end by the time the he cleared the screen I would guess I attacked about 3/400 times. all while standing there on my own, no help possible my teams average level was about 70 and the monsters were 210, if anyone tried to help they've been instantly destroyed(as they couldn't reach the reverse damage tiles).

Then on Floor99 the dash to the gate went wrong, and my entire team that were out including my brave soldier from the previous level now level 192 were instantly annihilated. One random team mate in the corner survived, so I threw literally the last 3 human team mates I had in a chain to her, they throw her to the gate, and she walked in to floor 100.
    when I got to floor 100 I did a throw chain to the gate and ****ing SAVED!!

sounds like an interesting game,is that on the ps3?strategy rpg?

Congrats on beating FFT, it's a tough one to get through.

In terms of difficulty it was. Although as I said, Orlandeau was too powerful in the clsoing battles - I didn't have to use him but as it drags on a bit I decided feck it.

Ending was abrupt but I liked it.

sounds like an interesting game,is that on the ps3?strategy rpg?

it's turn based strategy ala 'tactics' games, but it's by far the best I've played and the story is ****ing gas! I actually though I hated these types of games since the last one I invested time in was Suikoden tactics (bull**** game) and FF tactics A2 which was OK, but it was mostly for the story and extra curricular bits and not the battle system itself which I was glad to see the back of once I finished the game.

Disgaea 3 and 4 are both PS3. I decided to get 3 because 4 was brand new when I heard about the series and I didn't wanna spend full price on a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Put down FFXII for a while and picked up Vagrant Story. The opening 5 minutes were amazing but the last 4 hours have been a tepid grind. It's not that hard, it's just really dull.

On the other hand, I genuinely like the fact that the game explains absolutely feck all about game mechanics and leaves it all up to the player. Makes a refreshing change from games where each and every little detail is explained in unskippable tutorial sections.

My advice is to make sure you spend a lot of time forging weapons and leveling them up. If you don't then the game becomes a grind.

• Advertisement

My advice is to make sure you spend a lot of time forging weapons and leveling them up. If you don't then the game becomes a grind.

Is that not a grind in itself?

Advertisement