Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't get wheel hub/drum back on over shoes

• 31-12-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Well I decided to go check the shoes on my 98 Corolla. Took off 1 rear hub/drum and the shoes are fine. But the hub will not go back on whatsoever.

I have tried adjusting the tensioner full both ways, tapping the shoes into position, tanking handbrake on / off etc. The drum just does not want to fit over the shoes.

Is there a knack to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

sledgehammer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭dnme

are you being serious?
    bmw535d wrote: »
    sledgehammer.jpg

well ya know what they say "if you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

got it sorted. dam adjuster

dnme wrote: »
    got it sorted. dam adjuster

did you use my favourite tool in the garage?

• Advertisement

bmw535d wrote: »
    did you use my favourite tool in the garage?

oh holy god no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Is it a ratchet type adjuster, some times they came be a pain?

Plug wrote: »
    Is it a ratchet type adjuster, some times they came be a pain?

Yea the toothed fella, I kept adjusting it the wrong way. The correct adjustment had a lot of resistance and took ages.

Reminds me of FAS, the BMW/VW/Audi lads don't really know how to do the drum brakes since drum brakes are not on most of them cars. Saying that I've done loads of drum brakes and they are a pain compared to disk.

are rear disk brakes the same as fronts? I thought I read somewhere that there was a bit more to them

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Yeah There the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Little bit more complex as they will often have a "drum type" arrangement for the handbrake inside the actual disc.

dnme wrote: »
    are rear disk brakes the same as fronts? I thought I read somewhere that there was a bit more to them
    Theres a hand brake mechanism build in, you need a special tool to replace the rear brake pads.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Little bit more complex as they will often have a "drum type" arrangement for the handbrake inside the actual disc.
    That would be Merc's and BMW.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Theres a hand brake mechanism build in, you need a special tool to replace the rear brake pads.
    Really? The brakes on my pajero are the same as the front!

Disks all round? Some can have the handbrake mechanism build into the caliber others have small shoes inside a drum like disk.

And pajeros lad.the hand brake shoes are inside the hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

That would be Merc's and BMW.

Nope, not just mercs and bmw's. Many "cheaper" cars have this arrangement too.

It doesn't necessitate a special tool to change pads. Some cars require a tool to "screw back" the piston in the slave cylinder but that is separate from whether or not it has this type of handbrake setup.

Advertisement