Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pit file for an S3

• 12-01-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so had my S3 decide to soft brick itself it seems.

Was running AOKP rom and went to pick it up yesterday and it was on the Samsung Splash screen and would go no further.

So anyway boot up ODIN thinking oh well flash stock on it again and see what happens.

Odin gets stuck however at the "get PIT for mapping" bit and gives the following:
    <ID:0/005> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/005> 
    <ID:0/005> There is no PIT partition.
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

so after searching i found a pit file for a 16gb s3 but not sure if its for international s3 or is it network locked.

Anyone know if its safe to use? or where could i get one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Bad news I'm afraid, its suffered from sudden death syndrome. It'll need to be sent for repair to have the main board replaced as the NAND flash has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Bad news I'm afraid, its suffered from sudden death syndrome. It'll need to be sent for repair to have the main board replaced as the NAND flash has failed.

ahhhh i was afraid of that, i thought since i could boot into Download mode that there might be a chance of getting away with it but guess not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If you can get into recovery you're ok but you'll still get into download mode even when you're screwed!

Chet T16 wrote: »
    If you can get into recovery you're ok but you'll still get into download mode even when you're screwed!

then its screwed! no recovery only download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You need to flash with a 3 file firmware with PIT. The PIT is the Partition Information Table. Odin checks it's OK when updating. If the PIT is fcuked Odin cannot flash a single file firmware like all those on Samfirmware.com. If you have all files you can tick re-partition in Odin and build new partitions. If this doesn't work it means you have a dead NAND and need a new motherboard.

I have the files you need here (Russian firmware, but it gets the partitions back) but it's 900MB, it'd take a good while to upload, let me know if you want them and I'll start uploading

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You need to flash with a 3 file firmware with PIT. The PIT is the Partition Information Table. Odin checks it's OK when updating. If the PIT is fcuked Odin cannot flash a single file firmware like all those on Samfirmware.com. If you have all files you can tick re-partition in Odin and build new partitions. If this doesn't work it means you have a dead NAND and need a new motherboard.

I have the files you need here (Russian firmware, but it gets the partitions back) but it's 900MB, it'd take a good while to upload, let me know if you want them and I'll start uploading

thanks for the offer but i've just dropped it into 3 here in town so they are sending it away for me.

quite annoying but i have a replacement europa so at least i'll have podcasts at work. If it wasn't for that i'd go mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anticoralian

Sorry to dig up an old threead, but I have this exact problem with my S3 (Meteor), and I need the 3 file version of firmware to try resolve!

Advertisement