Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i cant connect to the internet on my laptop

• 27-01-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

a computer technician came over and connected us up to the internet so we have a router and all, and my old laptop is connected to it. but i got a new computer and its asking for a network key, iv tried everything but nothing seems to work, iv a feeling he must have changed the password, so i dont know what to do now. can anybody please help me???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Call a Computer Engineer to fix the Computer Technican left-over problem !!!
    And...i bet you he has changed the SIM number by now, so you cannot call him and ask the new key !? :D

Tell us the model of the router,the ISP provider...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭swampgas

lainey108 wrote: »
    a computer technician came over and connected us up to the internet so we have a router and all, and my old laptop is connected to it. but i got a new computer and its asking for a network key, iv tried everything but nothing seems to work, iv a feeling he must have changed the password, so i dont know what to do now. can anybody please help me???

Sounds like your new laptop cannot connect to the wireless router because you don't know the wireless key - and to find that you need to do one of the following:

(1) Call the technician and ask him why he didn't write it down for you when he set it up. (Maybe he did - have you checked all the paperwork?) He should come back and do that for free if he didn't do it at the time. He may even be able to figure it out remotely though, depending on the set-up.

(2) Figure out for yourself how to access the wireless router web interface, and find out what the wireless key is. You might need to know the admin password for that, and if that isn't the default, you're back to talking to the technician.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

he did leave the paper work but its saying that its not it..and i did call him but he moved away and gave the business up..so not much help..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭swampgas

Can you try what Rolion suggested and post the details of the wireless unit? Brand and model number - should be on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What operating system is used by the old working computer?

In windows 7, using Microsoft's wireless network manager, it's possible to look at the wireless network's properties\settings\security and tick the box to 'show characters'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Look at the router itself . If its an Eircom box the key will be written under Neath it . Passwords are case sensitive as well so put it as written .

its netgear wgr614 the operating system is xp

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Open your web browser. In the address bar type: 192.168.1.1 (this is the default for this router. If nothing happens find the ip address under default gateway by typing ipconfig in command prompt.)

The default login is:
    User name: admin
    Password: password

If you log in, look on the left side and the second option under setup is Wireless Settings. Click that then change the Security Options.

Choose the bottom option which is WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES].
    In the box below type in your new password. (8-36 characters long)

Save and exit.
    You'll need to enter the password on all connected devices in your home.

If you cannont connect with the default password you'll have to hard reset the router with the button located at the back of the router beside the antenna. Hold it till the lights flash.

This means it will be at factory default so the login above will work. However you'll have to setup the wi-fi, etc again.

Easiest. Thing is to check on the underside or back for this password . Look also on paperwork for anything that says wep key or wireless password or even airport if that technician was more familiar with macintosh . If that does not reveal any thing . Found a good third party link that lets you connect direct to the router it self .. Open up web page and type 102.168.xx.xx where xx stands for the default ip address of the netgear box itself read the section for wireless .. Getting into router is a diff password usually admin . See http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/aptnet/netgear/index.html for more info . Good luck ? !!

Morpork wrote: »
    Open your web browser. In the address bar type: 192.168.1.1 (this is the default for this router. If nothing happens find the ip address under default gateway by typing ipconfig in command prompt.)

The default login is:
    User name: admin
    Password: password

If you log in, look on the left side and the second option under setup is Wireless Settings. Click that then change the Security Options.

Choose the bottom option which is WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES].
    In the box below type in your new password. (8-36 characters long)

Save and exit.
    You'll need to enter the password on all connected devices in your home.

If you cannont connect with the default password you'll have to hard reset the router with the button located at the back of the router beside the antenna. Hold it till the lights flash.

This means it will be at factory default so the login above will work. However you'll have to setup the wi-fi, etc again.

i tried typing it in, but it wont accept admin and password?? im kind of anxious about restetting the router incase i cant hook it back up :/

• Advertisement

make sure u do small letters . Well normally it's small letters . Other variations could be admin for both the user name and admin as well for the password .

If still no joy u can google the name of the router and one of the hits will be the Manual . Try and plug the router direct to the PC as well with an Ethernet cable as it could be that u cannot access the router wirelessly .

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

That means your tech changed the log in details. Most likely just the password.

Try these passwords: <blank>, admin, 1234, imadumbasstechwhosetspasswordsanddoesnttelltheclient :P

You'll only need to set the wifi up again after resetting the router. The etc I wrote was referring to stuff like forwarded ports, but you probably don't have any active anyway.

When you reset the router obviously there is no wifi so you'll have to be wired to the router to connect to it.

To set up the wifi just type in something in the SSID box on the same same page as where I told you to set the password.

Everything else that's default will be good to go.

Just make sure on the basic settings page that the IP is Get dynamically from ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Wireless key recovery from
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html might be worth a shot.

(not a hacking tool, just in case any mods are concerned, just reads the value from the computer's registry if the network was set up using XP's wireless zero config.)

Advertisement