Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway gantry signs as they should be

• 23-08-2005 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Autobahn1.jpg

Note that the lower orders have to squeeze into one lane! :D

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Expect the next series of randomly selected gantry signage the NRA erects to look like that. Seriously, anything's possible with them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah thats actually funny:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lol :d

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LOL - pity the best cars have to squeeze between the mercs and the riff raff cars! :D

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    LOL - pity the best cars have to squeeze between the mercs and the riff raff cars! :D

Ah but that picture was taken near Stuttgart where the 130km/h limit applies. In the rest of Germany on most Autobahns where no limits apply, the signs are as they should be ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

unkel wrote:
    Ah but that picture was taken near Stuttgart where the 130km/h limit applies. In the rest of Germany on most Autobahns where no limits apply, the signs are as they should be ;)
    But don't forget that if you choose to exceed 130 km/h you insurance is void and if you cause an accident then god help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bond-007 wrote:
    But don't forget that if you choose to exceed 130 km/h you insurance is void and if you cause an accident then god help you.
    Not quite. As far as I can remember, it's a sliding scale, with an increasing amount of blame being automatically apportioned to you depending on how much you are estimated at being over the "Richtgeschwindigkeit" of 130 km/h, regardless of any other evidence of blame on your part.

Bond-007 wrote:

Dunno where you got that from, but that's a load of porkies ;)
    Alun wrote:
    As far as I can remember, it's a sliding scale, with an increasing amount of blame being automatically apportioned to you depending on how much you are estimated at being over the "Richtgeschwindigkeit" of 130 km/h, regardless of any other evidence of blame on your part.

Almost. The most typical high speed accident on the Autobahn would be a high speed car in the left lane hitting a slower car that has just moved into its path from the middle lane (or right lane in case of a 2 lane Autobahn). The slower car is always to blame when the faster car is at or below the "Richtgeschwindigkeit"

If the fast car is doing over the "Richtgeschwindigkeit" of 130 km/h, it will have to be established if the accident would also have taken place with similar damage had the fast car only been at the "Richtgeschwindigkeit". If that's the case, your insurance will not have to pay anything.

Obviously a sliding scale is what follows from this as it is unlikely that driving at 130 km/h would have prevented the accident for someone driving at 140km/h that was in the accident. 300 km/h is a different ballgame though :)
    Wird ein Kraftfahrer, der die Richtgeschwindigkeit von 130 km/h überschritten hat, in einen Unfall verwickelt, so kann er sich, wenn er auf Ersatz des Unfallschadens in Anspruch genommen wird, nicht auf die Unabwendbarkeit des Unfalls i.S. von § 7 Abs. 2 StVG berufen, es sei denn, er weist nach, daß es auch bei einer Geschwindigkeit von 130 km/h zu dem Unfall mit vergleichbar schweren Folgen gekommen wäre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

unkel wrote:
    Wird ein Kraftfahrer, der die Richtgeschwindigkeit von 130 km/h überschritten hat, in einen Unfall verwickelt, so kann er sich, wenn er auf Ersatz des Unfallschadens in Anspruch genommen wird, nicht auf die Unabwendbarkeit des Unfalls i.S. von § 7 Abs. 2 StVG berufen, es sei denn, er weist nach, daß es auch bei einer Geschwindigkeit von 130 km/h zu dem Unfall mit vergleichbar schweren Folgen gekommen wäre.

For the rest of us, literally translating as:
    Becomes if a motorist, who exceeded the recommended speed of 130 km/h, into an accident entangles, then it can itself, if it is taken up on substitution of accident damage, not on the inevitability of the accident i.S. of § 7 Abs. 2 StVG destined, is, he prove that it would have come also at a speed of 130 km/h to the accident with comparably heavy consequences

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Borzoi wrote:
    For the rest of us, literally translating as:
    Becomes if a motorist, who exceeded the recommended speed of 130 km/h, into an accident entangles, then it can itself, if it is taken up on substitution of accident damage, not on the inevitability of the accident i.S. of § 7 Abs. 2 StVG destined, is, he prove that it would have come also at a speed of 130 km/h to the accident with comparably heavy consequences
    Can you translate that into English Borzoi? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

unkel wrote:
    If the fast car is doing over the "Richtgeschwindigkeit" of 130 km/h, it will have to be established if the accident would also have taken place with similar damage had the fast car only been at the "Richtgeschwindigkeit". If that's the case, your insurance will not have to pay anything.

I had just assumed it meant this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

kbannon wrote:
    Can you translate that into English Borzoi? :D

German lawyer speak into plain English. Can't be done mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

unkel wrote:

How could you possibly tell where that picture was taken ??. Believe it or not there are other roads in Germany with a 130km/h speed restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

K-TRIC wrote:
    How could you possibly tell where that picture was taken ??. Believe it or not there are other roads in Germany with a 130km/h speed restriction.
    If it's a real photo, and if the road numbers are accurate it's nowhere near Stuttgart. The A5 and the A3 cross somewhere south west of Frankfurt at the Frankfurter Kreuz. I've driven through there more times than I care to mention. The A8 goes past Stuttgart.

EDIT: Looking at it again, it's almost certainly the Frankfurter Kreuz. The B43 (little yellow square on one of the gantries) is a turn off (to Kelsterbach among others) at that junction. It's also the exit for the airport IIRC.

Jaysus lads, do I have to spit it out? First their was the ;) then my reference to Stuttgart (DaimlerChrysler HQ) was obviously based on the favourable treatment of Mercedes-Benz drivers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

For the utterly curious:

In the event that a driver that has exceeded the recommeneded maxiumum speed of 130km/h becomes involved in an accident, he may not, having been called upon to pay damages, reference the inevitibility of the accident in accordance with [named sections of StVG] unless he proves that the accident would have also occurred at a speed of 130km/h and with comparably severe damage.

Dermot

Advertisement