Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile app development with no coding

• 25-02-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭

I want to put together a prototype mobile app to persuade my boss that we need to do something serious in this area. The app would use an existing customer database and capture survey responses remotely. Ideally, options to use the advanced features of the client include capturing photos, audio and GPS data would be available.

I'm an old coder, but my coding skills are fairly dated, and pre-date the C revolution. I'm comfortable in MS Access and other similar environments that allow me to put together apps without coding.

I've come across http://www.zoho.com/mobile/. Has anyone used other similar environments that might be better for me?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

This WYSIWYG is quite good if you want to knock up a static prototype or mockup, I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

This WYSIWYG is quite good if you want to knock up a static prototype or mockup, I've found.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if it will allow me to use real data from my customer database in the mockup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Do you know if it will allow me to use real data from my customer database in the mockup?
    Not out of the box, as it were.

Platforms like Zoho and MobiOne produce mobile Web 'apps' rather than 'real' apps. The former (with which I'm not familiar with) appears to be a hosted solution, while the latter produces stand-alone static HTML and associated files which you then need to put on your own server.

So MobiOne will have limitations in that it produces static content. However, if you are able to code in any server side scripting language, it is easy enough to 'hack' the Web files it produces to allow it to access 'real' data and display it.

As I've said, it's a hand WYSIWYG for mock-ups and prototyping (especially where you're dealing with stakeholders who are too lazy and/or dumb to read a document), but it is limited and if you push it too far it quickly becomes more trouble than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Just in case anyone else is looking for this, the best option that I've found is Liandra

See http://www.lianja.com/

It looks like this will allow me to define my database and set up an app that uses this data. I'm still working through the process, but it is the best option I've found so far.

Advertisement