Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-1 FAQ & Links Superthread (Read first before posting) **UPDATED 11/7/2011**

• 20-01-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Howdy Y'all,

UPDATE 11/7/2011
    US Embassy have recently opened a new official site dedicated to J-1 information. This can be found at j1visa.state.gov

So I have decided to put a FAQ thread together to help you on your J-1 visa path. These are questions which pop up in a lot of threads and from now on this will be the place to ask.

I want to assure you, you are not alone. As scary as all the paperwork and technicalities may seem, it is not impossible. We are here to help. Have a read through these FAQ first to see if anything answers your questions, if not feel free to ask HERE AND ONLY HERE.

Of course, be sure to come back here and let us know how everything went in the US.

As explained in the Forum Charter, illegal recommendations/advice is strictly forbidden and will not be tolerated.

FAQ:

Q. Can I obtain a J-1 visa on my own?

A. No. To apply for the J-1 visa, you must first obtain a DS-2019 form. The US Government has designated specific sponsors to provide this.

Q. Who are these sponsors?

A. The most popular US sponsors work with Irish travel partners.

SAYIT, USIT and GO4LESS (Irish partners) affiliate with Interexchange, CIEE and Intrax (sponsors) respectively.

For the summer J-1 visa, you CANNOT go through these sponsors directly, only their Irish travel partners.

IICenter in Boston is also a popular company to go through. A full list is at the bottom of this thread.

Q. When can I apply for a J-1 visa?

A. For the summer J-1 visa, companies usually open their programmes in late December/early January.
    For the IWT, internship and training visa you can apply year round.

Q. How much does the J-1 visa cost?

A. As with a lot of things, the price of J-1 visas fluctuate. Here is a rough guide for the different visas:

Summer J-1 visa
    • Flights €300-€900 (depending on location)
    • Programme Fee €0-€300 (depending on when you book)
    • Insurance €100-€200
    • Embassy Fee $140/€100
    • SEVIS Fee €30
    There are also optional costs like Exam Failure Cover, sim card, US bank account etc.

IWT/Internship J-1 visa
    • Flights €300-€900 (depending on location and time of year)
    • Programme Fee €600-€1200 (depending on how long you go for-12month max)
    • Insurance €300-€600
    • Embassy Fee $140/€100
    • SEVIS Fee €130

Training J-1 visa
    • Flights €300-€900 (depending on location and time of year)
    • Programme Fee €600-€1800 (depending on how long you go for 18 month max)
    • Insurance €300-€900
    • Embassy Fee $140/€100
    • SEVIS Fee €130

Q. Am I eligible?

A. You are eligible if you fit the following criteria for each visa:

Summer J-1 visa:
    • 18 years old + on date of travel
    • Currently enrolled in full time post secondary studies leading to a degree
    • Either:
      • Irish, Northern Irish or International student studying in Ireland or
      • Irish or Northern Irish student studying in Great Britain or on Erasmus/Socrates program abroad
    • Final year students may apply with proof of return to Ireland

IWT J-1 visa:
    • Either:
      • Currently enrolled in full time or part time post secondary studies leading to a degree or
      • Graduated from a third level college within the last 12 months.
    • Hold an Irish Passport

Internship J-1 Visa:
    • Either:
      • Currently enrolled in full time or part time post secondary studies leading to a degree or
      • Graduated from a third level college within the last 12 months.
    • Hold an Irish Passport or International student graduated from Ireland college
    • Have an Internship offer from a US Host Company in your field of work

Training J-1 Visa:
    • 20 years old + on date of travel
    • Either:
      • Hold a post secondary degree with 1 year experience or
      • 5 years of professional experience
    • Hold an Irish Passport or International student graduated from Ireland college
    • Have a Training offer from a US Host Company in your field of work

All visas can be taken as many times as you like as long as you are eligible each time and are not subject to the two-year home rule. The Training Visa requires a 2 year gap between visas.

Q. How long does the process take?

A. For summer J-1 visas, it can take 1-5 months, depending on when you originally book your place.

For IWT/Internship/Training J-1 visas, it can take 4-8 weeks depending on how busy the embassy is and how quickly your sponsor company can get the DS-2019.

Q. Where can I find a job?

A. One of the most popular places to find jobs is craigslist.org. Remember that times are not the easiest and finding a job may be more difficult than you might expect. Look at your proposed location for summer work, theme parks, summer camps, hotels, temp agencies etc. Monster.com can also be resourceful.Look for an Irish center in your city and see if they can help. They are usually able to find temporary or short term work.
    If you arrive in the US with no jobs (on IWT or summer J-1 visa) don't be afraid to hand in resumes (yes, resumes, not CVs) to businesses. For this reason, bringing a professional suit might come in handy.

Q. Where can I find accommodation?

A. Again, craigslist.org is also very popular for accommodation. Irish centers can also help with accommodation. Have a search for short term rentals in your city (month-to-month leases).

Be very careful when looking online. If you find accommodation, do a background check on the person/company renting to you. Never pay more than 50% deposit (even this is a lot) and never wire money through Western Union etc.

Also, know that most rental accommodation in the US comes unfurnished. You will have to either rent furniture or buy some cheap furniture. Second hand furniture is great and can be sold again when you are leaving (except mattresses).

Q. How long will it take before I can actually start working in the US?

A. Once you arrive in the US, you will have to apply for a Social Security Number. This can be done at any local Social Security Office. Your SSN can be received anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks from date of application (some have reported longer) depending on how busy the Social Security Office is.

Links:

US Government List of Designated Sponsors

SAYIT

USIT

Travel Bug Ltd

GO4LESS

IICenter, Boston

Official Summer J-1 Visa

Official Internship J-1 Visa

Official IWT J-1 Visa

Official Training J-1 Visa

Two Year Home Rule

Craigslist

Monster

Summer Computer Camp Jobs

Locate your nearest Social Security Office

Boardsies Destination Opinions

Remember, you can always contact your sponsor/travel company for more details and questions. They can be quite helpful too.

This is just the beginning of the FAQ and useful links. I hope to update this frequently and think of more over time. If there is something you would like added, feel free to ask.

If you think there is information I have missed, please bring it to my attention.

Lisa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pikiflan

Hi there,

I'm looking for a little advice from those who are also or have been on the 1 year working visa for the US. I left the country recently on a trip and am yet to return. I completely overlooked the fact that we're supposed to send off the little DS-2019 card from our passports to whoever's in Portland so i'll be travelling back in in a week or two with no form. The ones i've been in touch with tell me i'll be issued an I-515 which means I've to send that off to the Department of Homeland Security in DC (maybe taking up to three months to get back) if i'm to get a new DS form back in my passport and make any more trips outside.

Anybody forgotten to send it off in time, traveled back in without one and done another trip outside the US after (with only that I-515)?

(I'm hoping it's cock and bull like most of the other procedures attached to this visa scheme.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The card in your passport is the I-94, you surrender that upon leaving the US.

The DS-2019 is an A4 page with details of you visa, sponsor etc. on it. It has a section that should be signed in order for you to re-enter the US. I left without havibng mine signed the first time I entered on my visa as I only came for a week. I just then FedExed it to the US and the signed copy back to me before I re-entered the US. As far as I'm aware it doesn't have to be signed if you are only travelling to MExico or Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lolliemc

Myself and two others are going on a j1 to New York but we don't have a clue where to go? lots of places have been mentioned to us but we want to be a little bit outside the city near a beach if possible. we are considering ocean city.. are there any jobs in ocean city? is rent affordable? any other suggestions on where to go? help!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Is there anyway to do this? If I decide to go on the 12 month visa, I think I will likely go with the IIC. Can I just pick a return flight for such a date and then change the dates for the flights later or will that be costly? Ideally I would like proof of return dates, if possible, for my Embassy interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Proof of return flights aren't required for the 12 month visa. Most airlines won't allow you to book past 9 months in the future. If you can bring some other proof tying you to Ireland you should be fine. I had a friend write a business letter stating that he would be employing me when I return from the visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 fionn14

haven't been myself but have been told it's basically a bigger version of tramore. (No offence intended to anyone from tramore). Basically, it's tacky. My friends who went did have a great time, got work OK but not easily. They had a bit of hassle with the cops and some even had to do community service The place won't add anything to your experience in summary is the feedback I got anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm moving this thread over to the United States forum. It has been decided that anything to do with getting a visa to work abroad should not be dealt with here. There'll be a sticky once I get a free moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cherrybomb!

ye i have a couple of friends who arent in college and want to join us on the j1 is this possible??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionn14

Hi all, basically I'm looking to do something different to standard J1. I'm a sailing instructor but also a beach lifeguard and would love to go somewhere different (not USA) and work for 2/3 months this summer. So far I haven't had a very structured approach to finding work and was wondering does anyone have any tips? In terms of european places I've sent applications away to sun sail and nelison which seem to be 2 of the big ones for sailing in europe. Last year I applied to Club Med for work as a sailing instructor and got as far as a Skype interview but no luck. Last time I checked they didn't have any positions listed as available for this year. :(

Basically I'm open to any suggestions or advice. I've been looking into the caribbean but I don't really know if I'm wasting my time. The only place in the USA i've much interest in going to is Hawaii and I've sent emails to a few places there but no replies as of yet.

All I want is sun and sea and a bit of work and anywhere that fills that criteria is OK for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭WeightierDisc

Ok,
    Hi I didn't know where to post this so i'm just gonna leave it here.
    My friend asked me today if i had any interest in doing a J1 summer abroad this year and he presented me with the following scenario, that we could get jobs on a cruise ship!
    I just thought this sounded absolutely amazing!!
    Does anyone know if anyone has done this or something simmilar in the last few years, I'm just slightly sceptical as to the availability of such positions etc.
    Or
    If this isnt possible could anyone make suggestions based on their own experiences in the states or down under.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Thread moved rom After Hours. I think you're looking for some serious responses OP so I think here is the best place for your query.
    FWIW I did J1 to California and had a great time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭WeightierDisc

Bondi Beach in Autralia is the place to go if its lifeguarding your into! You should check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 18 goawaylisa

Hello everyone, long-time reader first-time poster...

Im going to NYC in March on the graduate 12 month work visa with the hopes of getting a nice job.

Will be going on my own initially so I thought I'd post here to see if there was anyone in a similar situation. It'd be nice to know people over there as Ive never even been to New York and if I could get any leads on sharing accomodation as I know it can be expensive and furniture is often sold separately..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm going to move this to the United States forum as I really think you'll get more replies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Hi folks,
    I’m going on the 12 month IWT visa with the Irish Immigration Centre and am looking for advice on getting travel/health insurance.
    As the IIC lets you get your own travel insurance I was wondering which company to go through. VHI, backpacker travel insurance.ie or gateway plans? Has anybody taken out one of these policies and if so would you recommend/avoid a certain package/company?:confused:
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

Hi there,

I'm thinking about applying for the 18 month US Professional Career Training Visa through USIT.

Has anyone been on this programme before and if so have any hints, tips or advice? Also how did most people go about getting a job there and was it reasonably paid - I wouldn't be able to afford to do an unpaid placement.

Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 minimem

So...as the title says, we're California bound this summer. Anybody got any contacts / useful information regarding jobs, accommodation etc?! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darraghmcgrane

three lads from DUBLIN looking to rent a house and get jobs in san diego,, we are all in college and are not looking to come over and wrek any place!!!! Looking for cheap rent and that the house/apartment is in a decent location possibility of 2-3 girls coming aswell so would be able have 3-4bed if possible..If anyone knows were we could get something like this please get in touch any info/ contacts to do with jobs or renting accomadation would be appriciated...:)

three lads from DUBLIN looking to rent a house and get jobs in san diego,, we are all in college and are not looking to come over and wrek any place!!!! Looking for cheap rent and that the house/apartment is in a decent location possibility of 2-3 girls coming aswell so would be able have 3-4bed if possible..If anyone knows were we could get something like this please get in touch any info/ contacts to do with jobs or renting accomadation would be appriciated...:)

Darragh, just an fyi, it might be difficult to get a place with furniture, a lot don't come furnished. I would have a look on craigslist, have a search for short term rentals in the city and maybe even get in touch with the Irish Outreach Center, if contacted early, they can be quite helpful with accommodation and jobs. San Diego is a very popular place for Irish students to go, so don't expect to find everything easy to get.

Good luck.

I was just wondering when the last day for the j1 payment is with the different companies? I am a bit short on money at the moment so can't afford to pay the flights etc. but will have money in the next few months - so, which is the company that allows you to pay latest?

• Advertisement

I was just wondering when the last day for the j1 payment is with the different companies? I am a bit short on money at the moment so can't afford to pay the flights etc. but will have money in the next few months - so, which is the company that allows you to pay latest?

From my own experience with SAYIT, they required me to have paid in full by the middle of March. Anything later and I would have been charged a fee. However, in saying this, a lot of the companies will allow you to book last minute, around April/May so they should be able to take payment then, it just might cost more. I would recommend contacting your travel company (USIT, SAYIT, go4less etc) and asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

Hi,

I found out today that I have my embassy interview at the start of next month, I am not sure about one thing though. My course in college was 2 years long, after that then there is is add on years for a degree and houners degree. I am currently in 3rd year but have no proof that I will be back for 4th year. So will I be treated like a final year student then and have to bring in proof of return or something?

Thanks

Well the continuation of your college degree acts as proof of return. I was in the same situation as you in my third year of college. I got a letter from the college stating that if I pass my exams, I will receive an offer to continue onto fourth year. You should ask your department if they can do this.

If this isn't possible, proof of return (e.g. through a job offer, acceptance in another course) is acceptable. I had a friend of the family write up an official letter for this. Basically, the embassy just wants to make sure that you have ties in Ireland and are not using this visa to immigrate illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

Hey I'm looking for a bit advice, any at all would be appreciated. I'm considering applying for the 12 month work and travel visa and going to Boston. Is there a minimum stay limit on it? My friends are all in college and going on a regular j1 and visa and I have decided tag along except with a different visa. Because the 12 month visa precludes unskilled employment I will have to go for skilled employment. Are these jobs hard to come by? I was thinking of going with Irish Immigration Center in Boston because they can assist in gaining employment, has anyone had any dealings with them? I'm considering staying the six months until christmas but I hear that costs of sponsors can vary depending on how long you intend to stay. Any help at all would be extremely appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Hi Maximalistic,
    I have applied for the 12 month IWT visa recently through the Irish Immigration Centre and have found them to be very helpful and also they are cheaper then the Irish companies.
    Firstly there as far as I know there is no minimum stay limit, am 99% sure on that.
    You said that you will have to go for skilled jobs and are they hard to come by - this will all depend on what sector you are looking for work in and what you did in college. This visa is considered an extension of your education and that’s why you must go within one year of graduating and why most people on this visa get interm/entry level jobs.
    The Irish Immigration Centre doesn’t get your job sorted but they will try and assist you. They cannot guarantee jobs in the current economic climate as I’m sure you understand. I’m moving myself to Boston in April and don’t have any job lined up yet, but I have a lot of family over there and they are all saying that the city is booming and there are jobs available in most line of work.
    You mention costs of sponsors can vary – if you go on the 12 month IWT then you don’t need a sponsor as you can legally work in the country albeit within certain restrictions.
    I’d advise you do a bit of reading about this visa to learn more about it. Try the USIT, SAYIT or IIC websites, they are all fairly helpful. Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

Cheers for that Corrimbla, just really apprehensive I wouldn't get a job or a paid internship, I guess theres tons of reading up to be done alrite!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Hey guys,

I want to go travelling this year...having never done a J1 and been working for 3 years since graduation..I need to get out and see world.

I would love to stay in States for few months first before going elsewhere but looks like a trainee J1 would be my only option. i wouldnt mind doing 6 months etc ...good for cv and would give spending money for rest of trip(i have good bit saved so not looking for Gordon Gekko role :)..oh yeah im going solo..cos my friends wont commit at moment,,,,

So basically looking for any advise or tips on the trainee J1....anybody done it before I could chat to?

Also best places to live for 6 months in States but still be close to major cities for w/end trips..

Any help would be great...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MEJ

Hi all,

Just thought I would let you know about the site visit that CIEE carry-out. I had mine today. The guy came, shook mine and my boses hand...asked where 'I am situated' so we pointed to my desk which he took a photo of, asked how many employees there are, took a photo of the reception area and left. Seemed a bit strange, I was expecting to be interrogated!

I'm half way through my ITW visa, do I have any options to stay on aside from the possibilty of my company sponsering me?

MEJ wrote: »
    I'm half way through my ITW visa, do I have any options to stay on aside from the possibilty of my company sponsering me?

When you finish your IWT visa, are you still under your 12 months from graduating? If you are, it is possible to get another one as long as you are still eligible.

• Advertisement

Batigol309 wrote: »
    So basically looking for any advise or tips on the trainee J1....anybody done it before I could chat to?

Also best places to live for 6 months in States but still be close to major cities for w/end trips..

What kind of work are you looking for, i.e what's your degree in? Also, AFAIK, you only have 30 days after your visa ends to travel, if you want to travel during your visa, I'm not sure if that's possible. I would check with a J-1 company.

Advertisement