Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What powers do the Luas ticket inspectors actually have?

• 02-11-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Just read another thread about an upaid Luas fine resulting in a court summons.

It got me thinking: What powers do the Luas ticket inspectors actually have?

Let's say you haven't a valid ticket and are stopped by an inspector

a) inside the tram, or

b) outside the tram.

Q1. Does he have the power either way to issue you a fine on the spot?

Q2. I commonly see them checking newly alighted passengers. If you are outside of the tram when inspected, can you say you had a ticket and left it on the tram?

After all, you were not found on the tram without a valid ticket, so no evidence you didn't have one, and you're now on a public road, so surely he can't stop you walking off?

Q3. And how does he know you will give him a correct name & address anyway?

He can compel you for ID but has no power to search you. And even if he had your full name, most people wouldn't have proof of address on them.

Q4. If you do not cooperate, such as giving no details or trying to just walk off, can they do a sort of citizen's arrest, similar to what a security guard would do to a shoplifter, and wait for the Gardaí to arrive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

The bylaws around this were changed a few months ago. You can now be checked on a tram or on a platform after leaving a tram.
    4. (1) A passenger, on entering a light rail vehicle, who is not in possession of a valid ticket, is liable to pay the standard fare.

(2) Where an authorised person observes an individual alighting from a light rail vehicle they may request that the individual produces a valid ticket for inspection on the stop platform.

(3) A passenger alighting from a light rail vehicle, who is not in possession of a valid ticket, is liable to pay the standard fare.

(4) An individual at a stop platform is not taken to be travelling on a tram service unless they came there by alighting from a tram.

If they have reason to fine you, they will ask for proof of ID. If you don't have any, they will ask for a phone number and then call that number to make sure it's yours and working.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

markpb wrote: »
    The bylaws around this were changed a few months ago. You can now be stopped:

Ok. That answers Q2.

They can stop you on the platform if they have seen you alight.

Straight away I see a loophole: If the person ignores the inspector(s) and hops off the platform asap after alighting the tram.

That should annoy them but they can't put a hand on you I'd say and once off the platform, the bye-law is null and void.

If they have reason to fine you, they will ask for proof of ID. If you don't have any, they will ask for a phone number and then call that number to make sure it's yours and working.

Right, that's Q3.

So at best they have your real name (through proof of ID) & phone number (through ringing you phone), plus whatever (potentially fake) address you gave them.

Not much to go on if you give fake details!

I should say at this point I'm not looking to fare dodge. Just wondering how good or bad their powers are!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I would wonder who proposed or ammended these bye-laws ?

My opinion would be that LUAS inspectors are on a par with security in terms of what they can do ..... not a whole lot.

once they touch you its considered assault ... even blocking your path if you are walking away is considered false imprisonment as they are impeding your freedom of movement..... they have no powers of detention as far as I'm concerned.

in the same way that a security guard cannot demand someone go back into the shop (they can request it and if you refuse they can make their accusations - at this point they open themselves to defamation actions)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,893 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just read another thread about an upaid Luas fine resulting in a court summons.

It got me thinking: What powers do the Luas ticket inspectors actually have?

Let's say you haven't a valid ticket and are stopped by an inspector

a) inside the tram, or

b) outside the tram.

Q1. Does he have the power either way to issue you a fine on the spot?

No and yes. They don't issue fines but what they can issue is a standard fare or fixed penalty, this they can do as "authorised officers".
    Q2. I commonly see them checking newly alighted passengers. If you are outside of the tram when inspected, can you say you had a ticket and left it on the tram?

As answered already, yes they can.
    Q3. And how does he know you will give him a correct name & address anyway?

He can compel you for ID but has no power to search you. And even if he had your full name, most people wouldn't have proof of address on them.

As mentioned again, they can and do double check same precisely to make sure they haven't got duff information for what may turn into a summons at court. A simple phone call will do if need be.
    Q4. If you do not cooperate, such as giving no details or trying to just walk off, can they do a sort of citizen's arrest, similar to what a security guard would do to a shoplifter, and wait for the Gardaí to arrive?

Yes they can if need be. Don't forget that they travel in numbers, are radioed and they carry phones so Garda assistance won't be far away should they need it. It's also an offence to not give details to them or to give incorrect details, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

All these dodges are very clever and could work fine if you use the Luas once in a blue moon. But if you use the Luas any way regularly, the inspectors are going to get to know you. Sooner or later your pic will end up on record and even the new inspectors will be watching out for you. Then it is a matter of time until they get you arrested or find out your real name and address.

As mentioned again, they can and do double check same precisely to make sure they haven't got duff information for what may turn into a summons at court. A simple phone call will do if need be.

But as we have said above, they may have your correct name & phone number, but how could they ascertain your true address?

I take antoinolachtnai's point. You might get away with it a few times, but eventually you'd be caught out.

And rightly so.

But as we have said above, they may have your correct name & phone number, but how could they ascertain your true address?

Having a landline number at home or work would be a good first step, I'd imagine. Thom's Directory or the Electoral Register are two other accurate reference points as well; I'm sure that they have their tricks.

Having a landline number at home or work would be a good first step, I'd imagine. Thom's Directory or the Electoral Register are two other accurate reference points as well; I'm sure that they have their tricks.

I doubt many people give their landline number (even if I had one, it wouldn't occur to me) and even fewer would give a work number. I'd imagine the best they can hope for is a mobile number - I presume they could get a court order requiring the operator to disclose the registered address (if there is one).

All these dodges are very clever and could work fine if you use the Luas once in a blue moon. But if you use the Luas any way regularly, the inspectors are going to get to know you. Sooner or later your pic will end up on record and even the new inspectors will be watching out for you. Then it is a matter of time until they get you arrested or find out your real name and address.

That reminds me of a story I heard recently off an Irish Rail staff member I know. A guy boarded at Mallow with a student ticket and no ID card and was landed with a Standard Fare and asked for his details. He refused to give his details and when the train pulled into Cork he high tailed it, hopped over the barrier and pegged it into a taxi, giving the RPU guy the finger with a cheesy big grin on his chops.

You can imagine his disgust a day later when he got a knock on his door over and stuck him with a penalty fare plus a call out charge that the gardai levied on him as well, he being tracked down via the taxi driver that he hailed :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Thats not very effective to be honest. I always pay on the Luas but still I think it would be easy enough to get away with not paying.

Why not just give them a fake name/address and your real mobile number? They'll call and see it rings and assume you're telling the truth.

Having worked for several telecoms company, they wont give any customers information unless they have a written request from an authorised Gardai.
    Its going to be months before they figure out the fine went to a fake address etc.

Even if they did eventually get your details from the phone company, you can just say 'I lost that phone months ago'. After getting the fine you can even call the phone company and get them to change the registration details of the phone and change it back any time (assuming pre-pay).

Another thing, there's no way to prove that someone actually gave that mobile number anyway. How do we know it even rang or the inspector didnt get a digit wrong? Why not just say "you must have gotten that phone number wrong", inspector says "But I seen it ring!" "Prove it!"

Yes I have so much ****ing time travelling each day on Luas/Bus/Dart that I actually have time to think about these things.

I doubt many people give their landline number (even if I had one, it wouldn't occur to me) and even fewer would give a work number. I'd imagine the best they can hope for is a mobile number - I presume they could get a court order requiring the operator to disclose the registered address (if there is one).

Its a question of them being satisfied that they have got the correct details from you, though. As I said, they know what to look and ask for.

Why would you give a landline number?

Why not just give the name and address of a neighbour or someone you went to school with?

RichieD wrote: »
    Why would you give a landline number?

Why not just give the name and address of a neighbour or someone you went to school with?

I presume they would ring landline numbers straight away to try to check that the person living there knows the person they've collared.

I presume they would ring landline numbers straight away to try to check that the person living there knows the person they've collared.

Exactly, so any fare dodger wont give them a landline number. .

Exactly, so any fare dodger wont give them a landline number. .

Richie, they aren't asking for your phone number per se, they are looking for proof that you gave them a correct address. Your home or work landline would a good help but as I stated, there are other ways they can check up on you as required.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The bylaws around this were changed a few months ago. You can now be checked on a tram or on a platform after leaving a tram.

When were the bylaws enacted? When first posted to the RPA's site they lacked critical info such as bylaw number and date.

monument wrote: »
    When were the bylaws enacted? When first posted to the RPA's site they lacked critical info such as bylaw number and date.

Their site is still a little lacking in information. Currently it says
    S.I. No. of 2011

LIGHT RAILWAY (REGULATION OF TRAVEL AND USE) BYE-LAWS 2011

The number and date are missing and a quick check of the Irish Statute Book doesn't show the SI at all. Time for a quick email to the RPA I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the new bylaws covering platforms won't cover the City Centre as the "platforms" there are public streets,

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

the new bylaws covering platforms won't cover the City Centre as the "platforms" there are public streets,

Only if a judge decides that they are while presiding over a case, in which case the law would need to be amended again. I think a judge would interpret the raised level where the Luas stops as being a light rail platform with the public path/street running behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I would wonder who proposed or ammended these bye-laws ?

My opinion would be that LUAS inspectors are on a par with security in terms of what they can do ..... not a whole lot.

once they touch you its considered assault ... even blocking your path if you are walking away is considered false imprisonment as they are impeding your freedom of movement..... they have no powers of detention as far as I'm concerned.

in the same way that a security guard cannot demand someone go back into the shop (they can request it and if you refuse they can make their accusations - at this point they open themselves to defamation actions)

That's ridiculous. Touching you is not assault. Detaining you is not false imprisonment. I suggest you try to steal something from a shop in front of a security guard and see what happens if you really think this.

Thread on STT who have similar powers to inspectors. They are entitled to arrest you and deliver you into the hands of a Garda. So more than just the power of detention. They can actual arrest you for refusing to provide satisfactory details in the case of issuing a standard are.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056066645

The bye law amendment granting these powers is here
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0031/sec0129.html#sec129

The act covers all manners of breaking laws of transport act. So fare evasion, assault, anti-social behavior, etc.

If people really think that they can walk away etc. from a standard fare ticket, then try it and take a test case in court. The arguments about walking away and assault if you are touched or detained are ridiculous.

robd wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. Touching you is not assault. Detaining you is not false imprisonment. I suggest you try to steal something from a shop in front of a security guard and see what happens if you really think this.

The problem here is that he never said anything about stealing something or using a railway or light railway without paying. And even if he did or you think he was implying it, a court has the final say.

Touching you can be assault -- furthermore even acting in a threatening manner towards another person can be assault. And detention or imprisonment can be deemed unlawful or false by a court.

Gardai and security guards may be given leeway of different amounts, but both still need to know exactly what they are doing. People have also been very successful in libel claims for wrongly being accused of shoplifting.

Time for a quick email to the RPA I think.

Fair play to the RPA for getting back to me so quickly
    Unfortunately due to a misunderstanding in our marketing department the proposed new bye laws were not clearly marked as draft and the existing byelaws were mistakenly removed.

We will revise this section of the website later today to clearly identify the existing bye laws and the proposed new bye laws.

We await the consent of the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport in relation to the introduction of the proposed new bye-laws before they are assigned a statutory instrument number.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That is littering, which carries a fine.
    After all, you were not found on the tram without a valid ticket, so no evidence you didn't have one, and you're now on a public road, so surely he can't stop you walking off?
    No, you are on a Luas platform.
    Authorised officers can arrest for certain offences and hand you over to the Garda.
    Why not just give them a fake name/address and your real mobile number? They'll call and see it rings and assume you're telling the truth.
    Because people are creatures of habit, making mostly the same journeys day in, day out. The will find you eventually. Oh, and no doubt when the summons gets returned, you'll receive a phone call to tell you that an arrest warrant will be sought if you don't pay
    Another thing, there's no way to prove that someone actually gave that mobile number anyway. How do we know it even rang or the inspector didnt get a digit wrong? Why not just say "you must have gotten that phone number wrong", inspector says "But I seen it ring!" "Prove it!"
    Judges aren't idiots. they are much more likely to take the word of a trained CSO following a procedure than Joe Bloggs.
    Because that would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I think a judge would interpret the raised level where the Luas stops as being a light rail platform with the public path/street running behind it.

That'd be pretty hard to describe and enforce - especially at Jervis, and at Abbey St. towards Tallaght/Saggart.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TheChrisD wrote: »
    That'd be pretty hard to describe and enforce - especially at Jervis, and at Abbey St. towards Tallaght/Saggart.

People seem to think the legal system is like what you see on TV. That if you find some small loophole you will get off.

For non serious cases it isn't like that, go before a stressed and overworked judge and try that on and see how far you will get.

A judge will simply ask, did you pay the fare. If you answer honestly that you didn't, he will still fine you, despite the manner that you were identified.

If you lie, he will probably give you an even bigger fine as he won't believe you and judges are pretty good at spotting spoofers.

All this talk of technicalities is pretty pointless when you are facing a judge, which is a pretty stressful situation to be in for most people.

Better off avoiding it at all and just pay the damn fare like a good honest moral citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

If people really think that they can walk away etc. from a standard fare ticket, then try it and take a test case in court. The arguments about walking away and assault if you are touched or detained are ridiculous.

Firstly I think it has already been pointed out to you that physical contact (ie. Touching) can be considered assault.

Detaining someone without good reason is false imprisonment and qualified privilage will allow this to an extent, but there is a high risk of legal action if your reason is not a valid one.

Also I never said walk away without paying for a fare .... I'm discussing the powers that the "Security" have on or around a LUAS - if you have a valid ticket and they ask you to produce it ... you can refuse to show it and keep walking - they then have to prove you do not have a ticket or let you walk...otherwise they could face a civil action if they decide to detain you....of course you could argue qualified privilage and they would be entitled to do so but it would be in the hands of the judge.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Firstly I think it has already been pointed out to you that physical contact (ie. Touching) can be considered assault.

Detaining someone without good reason is false imprisonment and qualified privilage will allow this to an extent, but there is a high risk of legal action if your reason is not a valid one.

Also I never said walk away without paying for a fare .... I'm discussing the powers that the "Security" have on or around a LUAS - if you have a valid ticket and they ask you to produce it ... you can refuse to show it and keep walking - they then have to prove you do not have a ticket or let you walk...otherwise they could face a civil action if they decide to detain you....of course you could argue qualified privilage and they would be entitled to do so but it would be in the hands of the judge.

If you evade your fare and/or refuse to give your details when asked to, you have committed crimes as per Irish Law. Is that not grounds enough for detaining somebody pending the arrival of a Garda if you decide to peg it away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dog with a bone

LUAS is an open system, the platforms are considered controlled infrastructure.
    Walk off the platform onto the street and no LUAS employee is permitted to address you.
    No LUAS staff member is permitted to detain you or touch you when on a platform.
    STT Security can only detain you if you have commited a criminal offence against the person such as an assault.
    Have a ticket or not, walk off the platform and nothing can be done to you. Off course cctv is available but dispute about ticket validity is not something thats worth contesting and digging up cctv footage to present to cctv so they can put a citywide alert for you!
    The ticket inspectors are there as a deterrent, that about all. Normally ticket inspectors operate in bunches of 4 or more and just chat to each other and wander around the city all day.

• Advertisement

All is not clear about the platforms -- in a number of locations platforms are pedestrian routes, footways / footpaths, parts of public roads and well established rights of ways.

A lot of people on here and elsewhere on boards talking about legal matters as if everything is black and white when it's really all shades of gray. Nobody has broken any law until a court says they have -- people often confuse the law and what they think it is.

As for lower courts with lower crimes -- as is often said here, a huge amount depends on the individual judge, but they actually do deal with legalities (ie getting off speeding fines, parking fines on points of law etc) and, by their very nature, they can be very more reasoned than the appeals processes run by the transport companies. But, as people also correctly say, going to court risks greater fines etc.

We don't actual have a very clear picture on this -- we have a lot of rhetoric and guesses, half educated or otherwise (at least part of my posts are a mix of these). Some people also seem to get annoyed that people have different views -- it's strangely a common problem on this site where you should expect different views.

Advertisement