Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

Does anyone know the cheapest place to order one of these including postage here, the prices seem to be up slightly from where Dabs were selling them before, still decent value!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I meant to post this awhile ago, but for anyone on linux having issues with WOL, i came across this which works for me.

echo PCE6 > /proc/acpi/wakeup

In addition to the wakeonlon bit from ethtool has WOL working again for me.
    Just throw the above into an init script when shutting down the box and WOL will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

I meant to post this awhile ago, but for anyone on linux having issues with WOL, i came across this which works for me.

echo PCE6 > /proc/acpi/wakeup

In addition to the wakeonlon bit from ethtool has WOL working again for me.
    Just throw the above into an init script when shutting down the box and WOL will work.

Hi Explosive_Cornflake,

Any chance of a more detailed description of this fix for a linux newbie? Or a link to where you found the fix online?

Oh and have you this fix working with FreeNAS?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

settings wrote: »
    Im pretty sure it doesnt matter if you bought it in the uk or here you can get 120e or £100 - whatever you like.
    You need to send it off to the UK i think so the forms should be identical.
    I bought mine here and my mate got his in the UK, both got the cash back.
    Can you link the deal you got?

They are amazing machines.
    Does anyone know the cheapest place to order one of these including postage here, the prices seem to be up slightly from where Dabs were selling them before, still decent value!

Thanks for the replies - I confirmed with HP - it does not matter.. I can use either the UK or ROI form (Depending on what currency I have the cashback in). I will link to a good deal later (on mobile and cant rem the co), but I found the standard box for 200GBP ex VAT ex Delivery, 4GB upgrade for 220 ex vat and a 4TB bundle with freenas USB and RAM upgrade for less than 400 ex VAT - all these deals are the standard price - i.e. cash back has still to be applied - I would have bought here but elara et al have jacked up prices due to the cashback..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Has anybody installed a dvb-s2 card and if so which one did you get? space will be an issue nice i already have a ATI graphics card installed

EDIT: Ordered a TBS 6981 dual tuner dvb-s2 pci-e low profile card. I just hope it fits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Stevo105 wrote: »
    EDIT: Ordered a TBS 6981 dual tuner dvb-s2 pci-e low profile card. I just hope it fits
    the only thing that will stop it fitting is a lack of determination. and possibly a lack of power tools! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Hi Explosive_Cornflake,

Any chance of a more detailed description of this fix for a linux newbie? Or a link to where you found the fix online?

Cheers

I'm not sure about FreeNAS, it's BSD based as far as I am aware. I'm not sure what way power management works on that.
    I might give it a whirl over the weekend and see what I can dig up.

Hi Explosive_Cornflake,

Cheers
    the lads on the freenas forums are very knowledgeable, it might be worth throwing up a thread with what you've found out so far and see if anyone has a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

J-blk wrote: »
    A friend of mine got the Microserver as well but upgraded to 4GB so I'm going to try streaming some of the problematic files from his server to the iPad and see if it fares any better. I'll post back if it does.

Machalla (and anyone else using this with Plex)... I finally got around to testing this and it worked fine on my friend's Microserver. I then got an extra 2GB from Crucial (only €21.50 delivered), taking the memory to 4GB total and sure enough, Plex now streams all the problematic files beautifully and CPU usage is down about 30% on them. Early days still (just upgraded the RAM last night) but it worked without a single glitch so far.

Sorry folks.. forgot to update this.. The deals I was talking about before were from ServersPlus.

4TB NAS Option (£370)
    http://www.serversplus.com/servers/server_bundles/658553421-4tbnas

4GB Standard Option (219£)
    http://www.serversplus.com/servers/server_bundles/658553421-4gb

Bog Standard (199£):
    http://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/658553-421

If ordering for business you will need to give them 24hrs to validate your VAT no.

Also - if you cant call the +44845 no - get them on live chat..

Anyway.. sorry about delay (I think this company was mentioned in this thread earlier).

km

• Advertisement

Hey,

Thought I would post ths but dont think it is anything to worry about.

The HP response I received before was prom the HP Promotions mailing box (which appears to cover UK + ROI).

However I just received another mail from HP Ireland that states that I must buy from a ROI HP reseller.

I know from experience that when calling some numbers on the HP ROI site that it directs to resellers.

I do not know if this also happens with emails and wouldnt want to suggest that an HP reseller is using the HP.com email address to suggest that I should buy locally.

I will continue with servers plus..(According to my original HP mail and the others in this thread) but a small warning for others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Just an fyi to anyone who may experience any problems with the Microserver...
    I bought three of these, 1 in February 2011, 1 in March 2011 and 1 in June 2011.

Was doing a reinstall on one of the servers moving from FreeNas back to Win2008R2 when I decided to update to the latest HP bios prior to loading the OS. Unfortunately. the BIOS update somehow corrupted the bios and no amount of tinkering between swapping parts from all 3 servers would allow the corrupt BIOS reboot. It was dead....Luckily it was the March purchase so was still in warranty (just)...

Contacted HP by their chat function and after asking me a few questions to verify if I had tried several recovery options, they agreed to send me out a replacement motherboard. It was delivered by DHL express next morning for free, along with a prepaid label to re-attach to the box to return the faulty piece.

Superb service and new board worked as expected. Cant beat that for customer service. :D

km991148 wrote: »
    Sorry folks.. forgot to update this.. The deals I was talking about before were from ServersPlus.
    i bought my nas from them a few years back and i was very happy with the service they provided, even when i had a few problems clearing payment on my end they were great about the whole thing and very attentive and had me sorted in no time.

i'll definitely be using them again if the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭frash

Stevo105 wrote: »
    Has anybody installed a dvb-s2 card and if so which one did you get? space will be an issue nice i already have a ATI graphics card installed

Sorry for the bump but I'm thinking of getting a Proliant and am wondering if this card fitted ok & how you got on with it?

Will want to put a HD graphics card into it too,

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hi Frash
    I have the same sat card and a hd graphics card too they work a treat and will fit in the microserver

Hi Frash
    I have the same sat card and a hd graphics card too they work a treat and will fit in the microserver
    Great thanks for the info.
    How are the noise levels from the unit? OK to stick beside the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Yeah I had it by the tv but we have 18 month old twins so it needed to be relocated :D

The HP logo on the front of the server glows blue when its turned on, it can be a bit annoying, but with blutack and a 20c piece you will be fine.

The server is a lot quieter than my phat ps3 and by 360 elite, but thats not saying much

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Finished setting up mine over the weekend.

I bought the following for it.
    8GB ECC RAM
    4 x 3TB WD Green drives(WDIDLE set to 5 minutes from the factory 8 seconds)

Tried software RAID 5 but Server 2008 wasn't having it. It ran for 4 days and still wouldn't sync just throwing a load of controller errors in Event Viewer, so went with 2 x software RAID 1 and having no issues so far.

Really nice box, much quieter than the old P4 Dell Optiplex 520 that I had set up as as NAS.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Just got my cheque from the January rebate. Guess others should be arriving today too

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

km991148 wrote: »
    I found a great deal in the UK, which is the same as the post cashback price in ireland.. but calling HP results in being passed around many suppliers!

Can you link the deal? :)

• Advertisement

Shougeki wrote: »
    Can you link the deal? :)
    indeed!

if you could get it for the post rebate price and then get the rebate on top of it, that would be very attractive, even if you needed to get it shipped from the UK afterwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

vibe666 wrote: »
    indeed!

if you could get it for the post rebate price and then get the rebate on top of it, that would be very attractive, even if you needed to get it shipped from the UK afterwards. :)

The ex Vat each one would cost about €5.
    Dont believe it :rolleyes:

Assuming the price is roughly the same as the HP Shop

HP Shop Price Only: Ex Vat €242.23
    Early Rebate -€120
    Postal Rebate -€120
    Cost Ex Vat €2.23 each

Eh Ill take every one you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

I got mine in october and bought 3xWD 2tb greens, £60 each! if only I had bought a few more :/

Was planning on buying one of these when I heard the offer had been extended to end of March 2012 BUT.....

I've downloaded the form from the HP site here and it states:
    "Purchase the *New* HP ProLiant MicroServer (part 658553-421) between 1 November 2011 and
    31 March 2012, complete this claim form and HP will refund €120 cash back."

BUT it also says:
    "Product must have been delivered & invoiced between 1 November 2011 and 29 Febuary 2012."

Obviously Feb 29th has passed.

Have emailed HP to get clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

frash wrote: »
    Was planning on buying one of these when I heard the offer had been extended to end of March 2012 BUT.....

I've downloaded the form from the HP site here and it states:
    "Purchase the *New* HP ProLiant MicroServer (part 658553-421) between 1 November 2011 and
    31 March 2012, complete this claim form and HP will refund €120 cash back."

BUT it also says:
    "Product must have been delivered & invoiced between 1 November 2011 and 29 Febuary 2012."

Obviously Feb 29th has passed.

Have emailed HP to get clarification.

They have always been very sloppy with updating the forms every time they extend the offer, the same has happened numerous times before where the dates on the forms are different from the website.

They have always been honoured before so you should be fine, but don't take my word for it! ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

did it cost anyone 20 quid to cash the check? my bank is charging me 20 quid to cash the cheque which is in euro.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm being charged €4 something because it's a Euro cheque that being drawn on a UK bank. I'm with AIB btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭qwertz

feylya wrote: »
    I'm being charged €4 something because it's a Euro cheque that being drawn on a UK bank. I'm with AIB btw.

Same here. Some banks charge, others are nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

MrSparkle wrote: »
    Finished setting up mine over the weekend.

I bought the following for it.
    8GB ECC RAM
    4 x 3TB WD Green drives(WDIDLE set to 5 minutes from the factory 8 seconds)

Tried software RAID 5 but Server 2008 wasn't having it. It ran for 4 days and still wouldn't sync just throwing a load of controller errors in Event Viewer, so went with 2 x software RAID 1 and having no issues so far.

Really nice box, much quieter than the old P4 Dell Optiplex 520 that I had set up as as NAS.

Do you mind sharing where you sourced the 3TB drives? I am looking at getting a few too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'm considering getting this or a Synology. I am bit put off by the Proliant as it looks complicated to set up Unraid. What's the learning curve like?

Advertisement