Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG messed up my laptop

• 25-04-2011 4:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

HI All,

I was advised by eircom tech support to download AVG, as eircom`s virus protection wasn`t working. It has seriously messed up my laptop. I have un-installed it. Internet explorer no longer working, I`m using Google Chrome at the moment. When I go to look at youtube videos or browse ebay items I get a black screen with a white jigsaw sad face, and error message that shockwave flash has crashed.
    I have un-installed Adobe and re-installed it several times. I`m about to throw this machine at the wall, it`s driving me mad.:mad:
    Anyone to help??
    Thanks
    Kellywelly

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Try pressing ctrl+F4.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

i tried avg before and it failed me..similarly norton with a msn virus that spread quickly at the time...

using eset at the moment and its very handy... kaspersky also is a really reliable av.

most others are just system hogs and slow you down from my experience..
    free antiviruses really dont give you that great a protection either mate.. its an issue since everyone just gets the free ones.. but when you dont know what you are doing.. not paying that 20 euro for the years protection leads to screwing up your system and you have to pay 100 to get it fixed in some store...

my first thoughts are either a windows reinstall, and/or a proper antivirus and clean up your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kellywelly wrote: »
    AVG, as eircom`s virus protection wasn`t working

<snip>

It has seriously messed up my laptop. I have un-installed it. Internet explorer no longer working, I`m using Google Chrome at the moment. When I go to look at youtube videos or browse ebay items I get a black screen with a white jigsaw sad face, and error message that shockwave flash has crashed.
    Why did you think eircom's virus protection wasn't working? Also, what AV did they give you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 kellywelly

Thanks Kenyard we have bought Bullguard and it seems to be working. We ran a virus check and it didn` pick up anything wrong. think I will have to wipe it and start again : (
    @The_syco I had paid for eircom`s broadband with virus protection included and we couldn`t download it due to a problem with eircom`s system. They suggested "AVG" free download. Biggest mistake I ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thanks Kenyard we have bought Bullguard
    Where did you buy it from? From www.bullguard.com or from another site?
    @The_syco I had paid for eircom`s broadband with virus protection included and we couldn`t download it due to a problem with eircom`s system. They suggested "AVG" free download. Biggest mistake I ever made!
    Hrm. I asked as it seemed you may have had a virus to begin with. Have you tried since then to download the Nortons thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It's unlikely that AVG did any damage, it may have detected a virus and cleaned all infected files, or moved the "uncleanable" to it's isolated area, causing those infected programs to be unable to run, until the infected files are cleaned, or the infected program is reinstalled or repair installed.

I was going to recommend an AV, but seeing as you have bought one, no point.

Google Chrome and Adobe have a big history of causing shockwave/flash player to crash, both adobe and google have at different times, thought they had pinpointed the cause, but it seems they haven't.

If you are using Sony drivers, Adobe think this may be the fix (it updates the driver they think is causing the problem) - LINK

Other people have said that uninstalling Realplayer, fixes the problem. (You could use Real Alternative, or VLC player

More info on the Adobe/Google Chrome crashes HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

if you have your windows disc you got with the laptop do a reinstall of windows.
    depending on which version you have it shouldnt be too difficult.
    a reinstall will just rewrite all the system files. so any viruses in those would be cleaned, and any corrupted files would get fixed.
    a antivirus check after this should rid of everything.
    as was said above avg may have quarantined a required file. when its done this it cannot be accessed..even by bullguard...and this can cause stability issues in programs you are using.
    if its driver issue as allyall suggested then i duno what you can do... system restore to the furthest back point or something...
    when i had this before every system restore file had a few viruses in it even...so i couldnt get rid of them that way. just had to reinstall and run an antivirus as soon as i could after that.

Advertisement