Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm here as well! Went out for a second session with the F4L crowd last Wednesday, and it was great!

Starmcmahon stood me up again :p

Doubt I'll make tonight's run - been on a very physical training course for the day and my legs are like jelly! But I'll do my best for Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Great to hear from yiz, glad to know am not alone in the world of "attempting to keep fit".
    MadameGascar - you could always walk the mini marathon, I walked it last year and was great fun. Atmosphere was electric and was quite inspiring to see so many women of all shapes and sizes moving at various paces. That's the day I decided to start couch to 5k, so many older women kept overtaking me!!!

Good on ya HeidiHeidi, sounds like you are enjoying the fit for life, I haven't been for ages, really must get myself organised!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Just started this and I absolutely loved it :)

Good on you Kiera! I am still waiting to love running, actually I love it once I've finished it :p no run for me tonight, might see if I can offload the kids tomorrow & get out for quick run. My mental health suffering already & it's only day 1 of East hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Good on you Kiera! I am still waiting to love running, actually I love it once I've finished it :pno run for me tonight, might see if I can offload the kids tomorrow & get out for quick run. My mental health suffering already & it's only day 1 of East hols.

Snap!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

I think I might try this, always wanted to start running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

The Great Pink Run is on the 16th of September for anybody who is interested.

mrs crilly wrote: »
    The Great Pink Run is on the 16th of September for anybody who is interested.

Mrs C did you do this last year? Have signed up for the docklands run (nice and flat I hear:P!) so might be interested in this one too? Have you done the Docklands run(s)? Just wondering what I've let myself in for......

• Registered Users Posts: 28 crazy_janey

I have been doing this for the past 10 weeks or so, I redid certain weeks because I knew I wouldnt be able to move on to the next week:o
    Now I seem to be stuck in a rut, I cant seem to get past Week 6 Day 1. Its like Im just stuck and cant run for any longer. Any inspirational tips or tricks? I really want to get it finished and make it a life long habit!

Mrs C did you do this last year? Have signed up for the docklands run (nice and flat I hear:P!) so might be interested in this one too? Have you done the Docklands run(s)? Just wondering what I've let myself in for......

Yeah i did it and have signed up for it again. My first time doing anything like that. Tough but very rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I started couch to 5k this evening, my first ever attempt at it. Week 1, day 1 complete :) I really enjoyed it too, was able to do it comfortably enough but definitely wouldn't have been able for more. I liked the instructions telling me when to run and when to walk. Being able to see the times on the phone screen really helped because when the running was getting too difficult for me there was usually only 10 seconds left so I managed to keep going.

I love the idea that if I keep this up I'll be able to run 5k by June 3rd.

sunnyside wrote: »
    I started couch to 5k this evening, my first ever attempt at it. Week 1, day 1 complete :) I really enjoyed it too, was able to do it comfortably enough but definitely wouldn't have been able for more. I liked the instructions telling me when to run and when to walk. Being able to see the times on the phone screen really helped because when the running was getting too difficult for me there was usually only 10 seconds left so I managed to keep going.

I love the idea that if I keep this up I'll be able to run 5k by June 3rd.

Oh there is an app for this? Is that for iphone? I have a Nokia c7 i wonder would it work on my phone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Doesn't look like it unless something more recent has come out.

If you've an mp3 player there are podcasts about the place, however.

Ya I have it on iphone but surely there's something similar for other phones. Maybe the same thing but under a different name. Search your app store for things like "running", "exercise", "fitness", etc, It's not a free app if that make any difference, but only €2 or so.

My thighs ache today after Day 1. Will attempt Day 2 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Triathy are running a comp to get 5 people who have never done a triathlon before and get them to the start line of the try a tri on the June bank hoilday weekend.

Its ideal for someone who has just done their 1st 5k or the like. For instance Gary Kirwan who only over a year ago weighed 40 stone and completed DCM in 10 hrs will be doing it.

All the information is in the link and if you could think of anyone and pass it on to them it would be great.

http://www.triathy.ie/index.php/6-weeks-to-try/about

Dear Elvis Jones
    No way Jose
    Yours, NCONTHEMC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Dear Elvis Jones
    No way Jose
    Yours, NCONTHEMC

Why not,

If you never try then you'll never know.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ A tri is on the to-do list. Wish I had the time to swim and bike more...

Why not,

If you never try then you'll never know.

Already know.......

Besides, not able to swim......

Already know.......

Besides, not able to swim......

actually, just looked at the link and it's really impressive and a fab idea. still not doing it tho :confused: !! Have the flora mini marathon that weekend but hope it's a success, especially for the first timers!

• Advertisement

I have been doing this for the past 10 weeks or so, I redid certain weeks because I knew I wouldnt be able to move on to the next week:o
    Now I seem to be stuck in a rut, I cant seem to get past Week 6 Day 1. Its like Im just stuck and cant run for any longer. Any inspirational tips or tricks? I really want to get it finished and make it a life long habit!

Hey crazy_janey ! I had that problem too & ended up signing up for a 10k in order to keep myself motivated. Now, I'm not recommending you sign up for a 10k BUT I found that motivation through fear really works. Was so nervous going to actual race I nearly backed out at start line! I ended up walking all the hills and some of the flat but managed to finish it in a not too embarrassing time. Perhaps you need to find a local "fun run" or something to aim for? If you treat yourself to something nice after the event that might give you an extra bit of encouragement? works for me, might help you too. best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

MadameGascar - you could always walk the mini marathon, I walked it last year and was great fun. Atmosphere was electric and was quite inspiring to see so many women of all shapes and sizes moving at various paces. That's the day I decided to start couch to 5k, so many older women kept overtaking me!!

Considering the expense of doing the marathon (or to cover the medal:p) I'm gonna go for jogging the 10k another day! I've found a coast one for the end of July so hoping that will give me enough time to train. Also, everyone is telling me to get a good sport bra but running doesn't hurt my boobs? Just wondering if I really need one?...

Nearly finished 5k now and must say it has been good fun. I always throw myself in at the deep end and get bored quickly, but a lot of the work is done for you when it's been broken up this well.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 my username

Hi all,

Just started this week, did W1D2 this morning and seem to have done something to my knee/shin. It feels more like joint pain than muscle pain but it's gotten so bad over the course of the day I can't put weight on it. I really hope it's better by Mon/Tue so I can do W1D3!

Week 1 completed last night :) Week 2 this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 starmcmahon

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm here as well! Went out for a second session with the F4L crowd last Wednesday, and it was great!

Starmcmahon stood me up again :p

Doubt I'll make tonight's run - been on a very physical training course for the day and my legs are like jelly! But I'll do my best for Wednesday.

I would appreciate if you would refrain from using my name in your posts. I dont even know you. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

yoooo hooo! It's been an age since I last posted.

It's now warm enough for me to run outside again without much needed body parts falling off.

Its about 15c outside and I did 7k in 41.05 I've done about 4 runs in the past few days and before that I'd not run for 6 months. I'm pretty damn pleased with myself. :)

yoooo hooo! It's been an age since I last posted.

It's now warm enough for me to run outside again without much needed body parts falling off.

Its about 15c outside and I did 7k in 41.05 I've done about 4 runs in the past few days and before that I'd not run for 6 months. I'm pretty damn pleased with myself. :)

Wow squeakyduck that is awesome! If I ever did a 7k in 41.anything you'd all never hear the end of it!! I had lapsed badly in last 2 weeks and only hit the running again today. 'twas far from awesome but I did my usual route, think it's about 4.5km. Very tired now, not helped by toddler waking me at 4am this morn! Yawn :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ladies, I'm running a meet and train group for the mini marathon in the Phoenix Park on Wednesdays if anyone is interested in joining us. It'll be aimed towards mini-marathon runners but even if you're not up to that standard I'll be able to cater the session for you as well as it'll be aimed towards people who aren't running the whole thing as well.

It would be preferable, but not essential, if you'd consider raising money for St. James Foundation if you are taking part.

If you want any info pm me. These are purely fun meet and train sessions. There's no pressure on anyone on pace, distance etc..

The rain is making my 2nd week of couch to 5k difficult.

Didn't go out at all on Monday or Tuesday evening. Attempted Wk2 Day 1 at lumchtime but gave up 6 minutes in due to rain, but committed to trying again this evening. 2nd attempt between the showers and the rain held off until I had only 6 mins 30 seconds left, all of which was walking. Having done the main running part I wasn't going to be defeated so I kept going and in the spirit of "Run fat Bi*ch, run" (anyone else reading it?) I repeated the mantra "you have a washing machine at home" :D and kept going....and workout complete. :)

I'll be so annoyed with myself if I don't get Wk 2 done this week.

• Advertisement

sunnyside wrote: »
    The rain is making my 2nd week of couch to 5k difficult.

Didn't go out at all on Monday or Tuesday evening. Attempted Wk2 Day 1 at lumchtime but gave up 6 minutes in due to rain, but committed to trying again this evening. 2nd attempt between the showers and the rain held off until I had only 6 mins 30 seconds left, all of which was walking. Having done the main running part I wasn't going to be defeated so I kept going and in the spirit of "Run fat Bi*ch, run" (anyone else reading it?) I repeated the mantra "you have a washing machine at home" :D and kept going....and workout complete. :)

I'll be so annoyed with myself if I don't get Wk 2 done this week.

Well done! Fair play for doing it. I have two kids so sometimes getting soaked is my preference over nappy changing and toddler taming! Haven't read that book, heard the author on Tubridy one morn and she sounds eminently wise. Said something like you can forget EVER looking forward to exercising BUT do it anyway!! Makes sense to me, I hate exercise, only doing it so can continue to eat Creme Eggs and crisps. Speaking of which ......

Advertisement