Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statutory benefits and entitlements- reference

• 07-01-2006 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

you may be entiled to disability benefit;
    • if you are unable to work due to illness ( mental or physical)
    • are under 65
    • and satisfy the PRSI conditions
    disability benefit is made of a personal rate for yourself with exta amounts for your qualified adult and child dependent (s).

you will get less disabilty benefit if your average wage earnings are below a certain amount (currently 150eur a week) in the relevant tax year.

other various benefits you may be entitled to include ; supplementary welfare allowance, disability allowance, occupational injuiry benefit or invalidity pension. Again Please see the links below for explanation of terms.

please see http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw9.pdf for complete publication on disability benefit and conditions attached to payments. please also see http://www.welfare.ie/publications/#d for government publications and the disability bill, and further explanation of other benefits and entitlements listed above.

anyone over 70 is entitled to a medical card regardless of income. for under 70s this is means tested and income guidelines change every January.

Long term illness card-if you suffer form a certain condition and do not have a medical card, you may get certain drugs and medicines free of charge for treatment of that condition. covers illnesses such as epilepsy, MS and Parkinsons.

Disability Allowance
    Disability Allowance is a weekly allowance paid to people with a disability in Ireland that are aged 16 or over and under age 66. The disability must be expected to last for at least one year and the allowance is subject to both medical suitability and a means test.

If you consider that you have been wrongly refused Disability Allowance, or you are unhappy about a decision of a Social Welfare Deciding Officer about your entitlements, you have the option of appealing this decision.
    Rules

To qualify for Disability Allowance you must:

* have an injury, disease or physical or mental disability that has continued or may be expected to continue for at least one year. As a result of this condition you are "substantially handicapped" in undertaking work that would otherwise be suitable for a person of your age, experience and qualifications
    * be aged between 16 and 66
    * satisfy a means test
    * satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition

Department of Social and Family Affairs payments( further list/ description) (for full government publication
    see http://www.comhairle.ie/publications/publications_booklets.html#disabilities

* Disability Allowance is a means tested payment for people aged 16 and upwards who have a long-term disability that results in their being unable to undertake work that would otherwise be suitable for people of their age, experience and qualifications.
    * Disability Benefit is a social insurance payment for people who are sick. It is mainly a short-term benefit but it may continue to be payable if you become unable to work on a long-term basis, have enough social insurance contributions and do not qualify for Invalidity Pension.
    * Invalidity Pension is a social insurance payment payable to people who are have enough social insurance contributions and who are likely to be unable to work in the long term.
    * Blind Person's Pension is a means tested payment for people aged 18 and upwards who are visually impaired. Visually impaired people aged between 16 and 18 may qualify for the Disability Allowance.
    * Occupational Injuries Benefits: There are a number of benefits payable under the Occupational Injuries scheme to people who are ill or disabled as a result of an accident at work or a prescribed industrial illness.

* Carer's Benefit or Carer's Allowance may be payable to full-time carers of people with disabilities.
    * Free travel: People with disabilities who are receiving a long-term payment are entitled to free travel and may also be entitled to a companion pass

* Household benefit: This is the term used to cover benefits such as the Free Electricity Allowance, Free Telephone Rental and related benefits. People with disabilities who are receiving a long-term payment are entitled to these benefits if they meet certain requirements.

Health Service Executive (HSE) payments

The Health Service Executive (HSE) provide a number of payments for people with disabilities:
    http://oasis.gov.ie/health/health_services_for_people_with_disabilities/disability_services_introduction.html For details on each.

* Infectious Diseases Maintenance Allowance
    * Blind Welfare Allowance
    * Domiciliary Care Allowance
    * Mobility Allowance
    * Motorised Transport Grant
    * Rehabilitation Training Allowance

Training services

FÁS is the national agency delivering vocational training to people with disabilities. Vocational training services for people with disabilities are provided by FÁS on an integrated basis. FÁS also provides a range of employment-related supports for people with disabilities. These include adaptations grants, disability awareness training for employers and grants to retain workers who have become disabled while in employment. People with disabilities are eligible for the full range of back to work supports including the community employment and social economy schemes.

Health Service Executive (HSE) Areas are responsible for rehabilitative training that is not directly linked to the labour market. People in rehabilitative training may be paid a Rehabilitative Training Allowance by the HSE Area or a training provider. HSE Areas have taken responsibility for this area since July 2000 when services for people with disabilities were mainstreamed. Formerly, rehabilitative training was organised by the National Rehabilitation Board. HSE Areas also have responsibility for providing for or arranging for the provision of sheltered work for people with disabilities.
    Education

also if anyone wants to add anything they feel is relevant please post up here. thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Right I promised to do this so heres a list of entitlements for persons who are blind or have a visual impairment

Blind Person's Pension.

This is subject to a medical examination by a doctor nominated by the Department of Social Community and Family affairs.

Full information is availible here
    http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw76.html#5

Travel Pass
    A travel pass will be issued to you if your application for blind persons allowance is successful. This is a companion travel pass allowing both you and a companion to travel together on Bus Eireann, Iornrod Eireann, DART, LUAS, Dublin Bus, and (those living permenantly on the Aran Islands) can fly free of charge from any of the Aran Islands to Galway with Aer Aran.

If you hold a Free Travel Pass and you live permanently on Tory Island, Co. Donegal, you can travel free of charge on the helicopter service between the island and Falcarragh on the mainland.

Both the Aer Aran and the Tory Island helecopter service have limitations of 12 and 8 return flights per year respectivly.

On receipt of the pass, you will be required to have your photograph taken at a designated place, usually your local Bus Eireann office.

The form for applying for a free travel pass can be found here PDF format
    Note: Page two of the form comes first on the above PDF file. You can also pick up a form at your local Social Welfare office. Ask for form FT1.

Make sure that if you are in full time education, that you indicate on the form that you require an UNRESTRICTED travel pass. You will be required to have this form stamped by your college/university.

More information on Free travel can be found here
    http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw40.html

Blind Welfare Allowance

This used to be called Blind person's supplimentary allowance. It is an extra payment of (at the time of posting)€46.

This allowance is paid by the Health Service Execuitive. If you wish to apply then you should contact your local HSE Community Welfare officer.

More Information on the Blind Welfare allowance can be found here
    http://oasis.gov.ie/health/health_related_benefits_and_entitlements/blind_welfare_allowance.html

Blind Person's Tax Credits

Blind persons are entitled to extra tax credits on their income. an extra €1000 for a single person and €2000 for a married person, on top of all the other tax credits that a sighted person is entitled to.

A further tax credit of €825 is given if you or your spouse has a guide dog.

A blind person can also claim VAT back on Low Vision aids

NOTE: I am unsure if mobile phones which have the TALKS software is covered by the VAT refund allowance. I will get back on this on Monday when I find out.

More information can be found here
    http://www.revenue.ie/revguide/blindpersonstaxcredit.htm

Household Benefits

Registered Blind persons paying household bills are entitled to various allowances on these bills. These are:
    • Electricity Allowance Standing Charges plus 1800 Units of electricity per year
    • Electricity Group Allowance If you are living in Self contained accomodation such as a flat or have your own slot meter, then you will have to apply for this.
    • Natural Gas Allowance Standing charges and 500 Kw/H of natural gas per winter billing period and 58kw/h per Summer billing period.
    • Bottled Gas Allowance If you are not supplied by either natural gas or electricity, you can apply for this allowance, which entitles you to 15 refills of bottled gas per year. You will be issued with a book of vouchers which can be exchanged at a retail outlet of your choice.
    • Telephone Allowance This entitles you to almost €50 towards a two monthly bill and €25 towards a one monthly bill. The phone line must be with Eircom and in the name of the person in receipt of Blind persons pension.
    • Free Directory EnquiriesYou are also entitled to free directory enquiries. you will be issued with a PIN code and you can request telephone numbers from any phone capible of dialling the eircom operator on 10.
    • Free TV Licence

To apply for this you will need to fill out This form The address to send it to is on the form. If you do not have a printer then ask for form HB1 at your local social welfare office. The staff at your local NCBI office should also be able to help you with getting this form.

More details on Household benefits can be found here
      http://oasis.gov.ie/retirement/benefits_and_entitlements_for_older_people/household_benefits_package.html

Technical Aids Grant

In certain circumstances, a visually impaired or blind person will be able to apply for equipment to assist them such as readers, computer equipment, adaptive software etc. This is paid out by the Health Service Execuitive and can be applied for through the NCBI. contact your local NCBI office for more information on this

There is literally loads more information on entitlements for Blind persons availible on the NCBI website.
      http://www.ncbi.ie/information/benefits_and_allowances/adult.php

• Registered Users Posts: 36 betty_swollox

Anyone know if the O.I.B. is exempt from the means test,
      Or is your combined income paired to average industrial earnings before the means kicks in?

For example if you have the OIB, Disabilty allowance/benefit and receive a transport grant do all three come under scutiny or is the OIB left out?

BTW Nice work on the info Guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Anyone know if the O.I.B. is exempt from the means test,
      Or is your combined income paired to average industrial earnings before the means kicks in?

For example if you have the OIB, Disabilty allowance/benefit and receive a transport grant do all three come under scutiny or is the OIB left out?

BTW Nice work on the info Guys

Occupational Injuries

Occupational Injuries Benefit is a social insurance programme for people who have been injured as a result of an injury at work. This is a non-means tested payment and there is no bus pass issued like disability allowance or invalidity pension. For social welfare purposes any uninterrupted journey to the place of work that results in a RTA while driving are considered for OIB purposes to be accidents at work.

Disablement Benefit

Disablement Pension which is a pension awarded on a percentage basis assessing the physical and psychological impact of the event on your health and wellbeing when compared to others of similar age, level of education and occupation.

Medical Care Scheme

Under the Occupational Injuries Scheme you are entitled to receive full refunds from the DSFA of the following under the Medical Care Scheme. These include

1. GP expenes
      2. Pharmaceutical and appliances
      3. Private treatment that is not provided or made available under the Health Acts ie, counselling/psychotherapy.
      4. Travel expenses to and from all places of treatment (pharmaceutical, GP, Consultant, Diagnostic centre, inpatient facility). This is calculated on mileage. You are also entitled to fully re-claim taxi fees, toll-bridge fees and parking fees.
      5. Full reimbursement of all A&E and impatient fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 paulportoloive

can i just ask something? I am 40% disabled and get my disablement pesion but am curious if i can get one of the parking badges so can park in disabled zones.plus also curious on if any other stuff i should know of!

Any advice would be helpful
      Thanks...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

can i just ask something? I am 40% disabled and get my disablement pesion but am curious if i can get one of the parking badges so can park in disabled zones.plus also curious on if any other stuff i should know of!

Parking permit depends on your GP's assessment - see http://www.iwa.ie/services/parking.aspx

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 36 bosco9871

How can you check to see if your teen is on the disability database. My psychologist told me to check & make sure. Thanks.

bosco9871 wrote: »
      How can you check to see if your teen is on the disability database. My psychologist told me to check & make sure. Thanks.

Here's some details; http://www.hrb.ie/health-information-in-house-research/disability/npsdd/

I think registration is normally done through the local HSE office. You could check with them or try calling the HRB, who I'm sure would point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

bosco9871 wrote: »

Very strange. A physchologist has the ability to check this for you. Ours actually had us sign the forms to put our child on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Does anyone know how long it takes for a decision to be made on Disablement Benefit. I had my medical 5 weeks ago and have not heard anything yet.
      thanks in advance if anyone can help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wrong section maybe, but someody may be able to advise me here??

I have been told that the Affordable Housing Scheme is no longer in operation. I am living at home with my father who's 70 years of age. My brother who is in his early 30s lives at home also.

I want to put my name on the Housing list in my local authority. They have told me that the form I need to fill in is the Social Housing one, because I have a disability???

I would be well able to afford a home on my own, but the thing is getting a suitable home, and also getting it adapted.

Can anyone advise how to go about this?

• Advertisement

Wrong section maybe, but someody may be able to advise me here??

I have been told that the Affordable Housing Scheme is no longer in operation. I am living at home with my father who's 70 years of age. My brother who is in his early 30s lives at home also.

I want to put my name on the Housing list in my local authority. They have told me that the form I need to fill in is the Social Housing one, because I have a disability???

I would be well able to afford a home on my own, but the thing is getting a suitable home, and also getting it adapted.

Can anyone advise how to go about this?

I'm a bit confused here. You're looking for social housing, so they suggest you go on the social housing list. Why would you not go ahead with this?

There is the Housing Adaptation Grant to cover small works (less than €30k) to existing houses, so you could think about buying your own home, and then applying for this grant.

http://housing.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=162

This is the form that I was told to use when I rang up my local council. I was on their Affordable Housing Scheme List but this has now gone. I told them that I was a person with a disability looking for my own home - which needs to be accessible, and this is where I was directed. :confused: I have asked my Family Support Worker from the Spina Bifida Association to meet me so I can have a chat and see what my options are.
      I would actually prefer to buy my own home.
      MM

I also spoke to someone in the IWA, and was directed to this site: http://www.iwa.ie/services/housing/

http://housing.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=162

This is the form that I was told to use when I rang up my local council. I was on their Affordable Housing Scheme List but this has now gone. I told them that I was a person with a disability looking for my own home - which needs to be accessible, and this is where I was directed. :confused:

I don't see why you're confused. If you want the council to house you, you go on the social housing list.

If you want to buy and adapt your own home, you need to go ahead and buy the home, and then apply for the Housing Adaptation Grant.

I don't see why you're confused. If you want the council to house you, you go on the social housing list.

If you want to buy and adapt your own home, you need to go ahead and buy the home, and then apply for the Housing Adaptation Grant.

I was told by the woman I spoke to in the council that if I want to buy my own home, I still have to fill in that form????

I was told by the woman I spoke to in the council that if I want to buy my own home, I still have to fill in that form????

If you buy your own home, the council have no part in that transaction, so you don't have to go near them or fill in any forms.

Or are you looking for some support from the council in buying your own home?

I don't know which way to go about it. :rolleyes::o

I don't know which way to go about it. :rolleyes::o

To the best of my knowledge, the Council won't give you any support to buy your own home. Current Housing Policy does not incentivise home ownership over other forms of tenancy.

So your choices are;

1) Register for social housing with the Council
      2) Buy your own home, and apply for a Housing Adaptation Grant afterwards, with no guarantee of the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 robjo

its all on www.disability.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stephcgriffin

Hello.
      Not sure if anyone here will be able to help me but if you could even point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
      I am 20 years old.
      I was diagnosed with depression & an anxiety disorder at 15.
      I struggled at school and left without sitting my leaving cert.
      I started college in 2011 but left after a few weeks.
      I started college (again!) this September but left today because I can't handle the workload.
      I didn't want to leave school or college but in the face of a breakdown I had to choose to put my mental health first.
      I've been trying to look for work on & off since leaving school in early 2010 but to be honest I don't feel like I could cope with it.
      Leaving the house can be a monumental task some days even if it's only to see friends.
      I had applied for a student grant but obviously I won't be entitled to that anymore.
      My parents paid for my college fees, bus fares and anything else relating to my education this year but I had hoped on paying them back once the grant came through.
      I am living at home with them but they can't exactly afford to keep me and I wouldn't expect them to.
      I have absolutely no income but don't feel capable of working and it's just out of laziness as some people say!
      I want to make something of my life but don't feel like I'm in the head-space to be focusing on anything outside my mental health.
      I need to take things slowly and get on the right track.
      I've been in & out of the public mental health services and am now waiting on an appointment after a referral from my GP.
      Would I be entitled to any kind of benefit at all?
      I need to be giving something to my parents towards bills & food and I've absolutely no personal money for myself.
      I don't know if I should apply for Jobseeker's since I don't feel like I could actually work.
      I don't want to be doing anything illegal and getting into trouble!
      I don't know if depression counts as a disability and how one would predict how long it would be disabling for?
      If anyone has any information I'd be really grateful.
      Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Hello.
      Not sure if anyone here will be able to help me but if you could even point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
      I am 20 years old.
      I was diagnosed with depression & an anxiety disorder at 15.
      I struggled at school and left without sitting my leaving cert.
      I started college in 2011 but left after a few weeks.
      I started college (again!) this September but left today because I can't handle the workload.
      I didn't want to leave school or college but in the face of a breakdown I had to choose to put my mental health first.
      I've been trying to look for work on & off since leaving school in early 2010 but to be honest I don't feel like I could cope with it.
      Leaving the house can be a monumental task some days even if it's only to see friends.
      I had applied for a student grant but obviously I won't be entitled to that anymore.
      My parents paid for my college fees, bus fares and anything else relating to my education this year but I had hoped on paying them back once the grant came through.
      I am living at home with them but they can't exactly afford to keep me and I wouldn't expect them to.
      I have absolutely no income but don't feel capable of working and it's just out of laziness as some people say!
      I want to make something of my life but don't feel like I'm in the head-space to be focusing on anything outside my mental health.
      I need to take things slowly and get on the right track.
      I've been in & out of the public mental health services and am now waiting on an appointment after a referral from my GP.
      Would I be entitled to any kind of benefit at all?
      I need to be giving something to my parents towards bills & food and I've absolutely no personal money for myself.
      I don't know if I should apply for Jobseeker's since I don't feel like I could actually work.
      I don't want to be doing anything illegal and getting into trouble!
      I don't know if depression counts as a disability and how one would predict how long it would be disabling for?
      If anyone has any information I'd be really grateful.
      Thank you.

Hey,
      Yes depression is a form of disability, and if you were diagnosed when you were 15 you stand a pretty good chance, the thing is that you will be refused first time, you need to appeal. Go and get the process started and the community welfare officer will give you money every week while you're waiting. You may get some money disallowed for being late in applying. You need a letter from your college to prove that you're no longer a student.

Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 14 Mama40

Hi Just wondering if anyone can help. I applied for disability allowance in Jan of this year because I have arthritis in my back for the past 3 years since I gave birth to my son. After hounding them for months and sending in more relevant information to back it up and also a call to a local TD I finally got a letter today asking for me to send in our joint account and my husbands bank statements for the past 6 months. Does anyone think this is a good sign I will receive the disability allowance now? thanking you in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭raymick

Hi Mama40 I too received a request for six months bank statements and was wondering the same thing I hope it is a good sign I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome type 3 which is for life. I have been waiting for a reply since Jan 2013 so fingers crossed

Hi Raymick I think it is a good sign ;) lets be positive keep in touch. Sorry about your diagnosis.

Thanks for reply its hard to get any information from anyone, hoping that because it is a recognised condition that they don't make me jump through too many hoops. I applied in Jan 2013 I just left them to it and the requests for the bank statements was the first contact I heard back. I cant take much more waiting I am waiting for the postman every morning hoping to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Will be interested to hear how you get on, Raymick. I applied Jan 2013 as well and also have EDS type 3. I've heard nothing back yet :(

Hi Filo I was told that it would be November before my application would be looked at so I was just waiting to hear, last week I got a letter to send in bank statements and send them to the back log section so don't know how long it will take to hear anything back. Do you mind me asking who diagnosed your EDS my experience in this country is that the doctors really don't know anything about it and to get a diagnoses still does not help with anything. You still get treated like its all in your head.

I rang about a month ago and was told they were still processing applications from October 2012! Will PM you now re doctors.

Hi Ray sorry for the late reply. Hi Filo I am sorry for your diagnosis too. When u have any disease etc... like arthritis EDS people do not believe you and what you are going through. Is there any support groups you could join? I am on a few on Face book as my arthritis is an usual one!! Filo I hope u hear something soon. best of luck. I still have to send in my bank statements need to get a code from the bank so we can print them ourselves! How long ago did u send them in Ray? Filo when exactly in Jan did u apply?

Mama40, I posted my application on Jan 7th and it was received on the 16th. Hopefully we'll all hear more soon!

• Advertisement

Hi Filo I hope u hear something soon. Maybe give them a call?

Advertisement