Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new google email - 1 gig of storage for free!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Originally posted by drrnwbb
    ive not got any spam on it yet. i saw some analysis of gmails spam abilities on a weblog: http://www.taint.org/2004/04/15/033025a.html

but its gonna be another 5-6 months or so before gmail goes public, so lots of time for them to improve on spam analysis

here is another one: http://www.slamaspammer.com/blog/?postid=19

dw

thanks, those were good links. The .forward system was exactly what i wanted to set up myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Hard to believe but there are loads of people selling the gmail accounts on ebay. bids going over $60. over 206 for sale at the moment and everyone I see on the first page I looked at has tons of bids as well.,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

thats amazing about ebay... why dont they just wait afew weeks until the full release??

lol... I have 2 accounts!!
    check this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4291&item=3675841849&rd=1
    more money than sense

one deal of four account invites is currently selling for $250 with over a day left.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

They all seem to be closing for around the $50 mark.

Alot of people are bidding too! (260+ Auctions with bids on most of them)

How come they all cant wait till they get their own? Whats the rush??:confused:

Originally posted by Philbert
    They all seem to be closing for around the $50 mark.

Alot of people are bidding too! (260+ Auctions with bids on most of them)

How come they all cant wait till they get their own? Whats the rush??:confused:

I guess it might be that people want to bag a name they want. e.g. I'd like to get a specific me but I bet byt the time it's public it will be gone. I'm presuming anyone on beta will keep whatever username they select when the system goes live?

• Advertisement

I wonder did google see this coming. It might prompt them to release gmail to the public sooner:D Seems to me if they're ready to give peeps on blogger an account then it's ready for public consumption. Someone said it would take another 6 months but I was under the general impression that it would be in the next month. Although this pure conjecture and I might be completely off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Google would have seen it coming, it's been happening for years. I'm pretty sure most of the listings on ebid.ie were "attractive" email addresses at one stage. (I wonder if anyone ever actually sold one. There are some extraordinarily stupid people out there like...)

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Google would have seen it coming, it's been happening for years. I'm pretty sure most of the listings on ebid.ie were "attractive" email addresses at one stage. (I wonder if anyone ever actually sold one. There are some extraordinarily stupid people out there like...)

adam

The stuff is on Ebay and people are selling invitations to setup an account so I'm assuming a name can be chose. And yes, have a look on ebay.com and see for yourself - they are selling like hotcakes.

Hey Flogen!

Any chance of a few screen shots of the "interior" of Gmail?! :)

Ooops sorry! Found some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

i have an account, very slick presentation. I like the way it's javascript based and everything pops into place nice and quick + the labels really are cool.

I haven't been using it that much (haven't switched over my email officially) but i can defo see myself switiching.

Originally posted by dangerman
    i have an account, very slick presentation. I like the way it's javascript based and everything pops into place nice and quick + the labels really are cool.

I haven't been using it that much (haven't switched over my email officially) but i can defo see myself switiching.

how did u get one... was it through the blogger website. i've been logging in and out for the past two weeks and no luck:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

how did u get one... was it through the blogger website. i've been logging in and out for the past two weeks and no luck

i'm pretty sure that won't work. I read that only those with active blogs over the last 6 months or something like that got an invite.

My friend in college has a friend who works in google ireland. She got an account through that, then one day got that option to invite two people in and she got me in.

I've yet to get the option to invite...bidding starts at 200 euro... ;)

damn...., thats funny, a friend of mine has an account aswell. His brother had a friend in google ireland too. He still doesn't have an option to invite anyone though. Do u know how long it takes or is it random.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

It seems to be an occasional thing. On mothers day (USA) there was an option to give your Mom a gmail account. Of course the person I sent the invite to wasn't my mom at all. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I think it's a very tasty service. The way it handles mail is very nice and shows fantastic application of the google technology.
    Some "standard" features are still absent and I know they are working on resolving some issues with certain browsers, but overall I love my gmail account.

Dahamsta - chill out. The advertising is pushed out using the same technology as adsense, so it's just a load of robots etc., ie. no human interaction and a hell of a lot easier to deal with than Yahoo or Hotmail crap.

Originally posted by Terminator
    It seems to be an occasional thing. On mothers day (USA) there was an option to give your Mom a gmail account. Of course the person I sent the invite to wasn't my mom at all. :p

ah well... i guess ill just have to wait a bit longer.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by blacknight
    Dahamsta - chill out. The advertising is pushed out using the same technology as adsense, so it's just a load of robots etc., ie. no human interaction and a hell of a lot easier to deal with than Yahoo or Hotmail crap.
    That's a bizarre reply Michele, it's like you read my objection and interpreted it as binary negative response. I'll post it again so you can try to assign a deeper meaning:
    Unfortunately it's not that simple cgarvey. I'd be the same as yourself in that if I have to deal with advertising, I'd prefer it was advertising that was appropriate to me. However that's not the issue. The problem is that Google will be in a position to create, store, and possibly sell very rich, extremely granular profiling data directly associated with your personal details. Of course Google says that they're committed to "not doing evil", but that data would be worth an awful lot of money. And they've got an IPO coming up...
    Did I object to the advertising? No. Did I suggest that human interaction would be involved? No. And for the record I don't object to the advertising and I don't believe that humans are involved at any kind of integral level. Which leaves me with the question: Your reply is relevant to mine how exactly?

Let me be clear so this doesn't happen again: It's dangerous because /at some point in the future/ the data could be used for profiling: by Google, by a new owner, by someone Google sells to, or by a Government that subpoenas the data. Get it?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

i just got an invite and my mind has gone blank on a unique name... any ideas? has to be something i can use on the cv etc, so nothin obscene!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Username's must be 6 characters or more so if your name was joseph soap, you could go for

joseph@gmail.com
    josoap@gmail.com
    soapster@gmail.com

Etc

Try to get as close to your name as possible - something that's easy to remember. Most other users will have to add in numbers to their usernames so get a good one while you still can.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

damm
    there goes my jank@gmail.com ;)

anybody know when it will move from beta to.....i dont know public!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

hehe time to strut oh yes, got me a gmailer

im cheap so ill let the bidding start at 50 quid for an invitation, beat that dangerman

handy link below if you want to check is the name you want still available.

http://www.fscom.net/gmail/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by alleepally
    handy link below if you want to check is the name you want still available.

http://www.fscom.net/gmail/

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but what are the chances that whoever is running that site will register any name you type in, in an attempt to sell it to you later?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

thats my motto... paranoia is your ownly friend!

Originally posted by hostyle
    Maybe I'm just paranoid, but what are the chances that whoever is running that site will register any name you type in, in an attempt to sell it to you later?

Anythings possible I guess but think about it rationally

a) who in their right mind would be bothered registering hundreds, if not thousdands of email addresses

b) 90% of people will just choose an alternative if the name they want is gone when the thing goes public.

c) how would said bogeyman know how to contact you out of the internet population and track you down to sell you an address.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by hostyle

about the same odds a domain reseller registers the domain name you search for... :rolleyes:

anybody know when it will move from beta to.....i dont know public!?

it'll probably always remain "beta" - see 'news'... when it's made public-nobody knows. try macspy.com - 1 gig mail + 350mb storage apparently..

supposedly yahoo is going to increase it's storage space to 100mb over the summer. Take a look here. It ain't a gig, but tis better than nothing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Originally posted by qBot
    supposedly yahoo is going to increase it's storage space to 100mb over the summer. Take a look here. It ain't a gig, but tis better than nothing.

too little too late really, i mean, theyre offering 10% of what google have to offer, without the nice search and conversation features. Once google sort out their spam guard and afew other bits that need fixing (like automatically adding any address you send to into your contacts) then they'll be hard pushed to find real competition to them. that Mac or spymac service looks good, at least it has the 1gb. The only reason I'll keep using my yahoo account is for the webspace, its the only thing google dont seem to offer. spymac does tho.

Flogen

• Advertisement

oh ya, i agree with you. but for those who already have a yahoo account like myself tis handy.

Advertisement