Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaggy as a pundit

• 26-02-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there is already a thread on this or if it's been covered in detail in the match thread but did anyone else find Shaggy to be a great addition to the RTE panel?

The utter contempt he showed for Hook and the way he didn't let him away with some of his drivel was priceless. There is a great moment during half time where the camera pans out from Hook and Shaggy is rolling his head in disgust.

Now if only RTE would get rid of pope, hook and McGuirke and replace them with Shaggy, O Shea and Matt Williams I might actually watch RTE coverage.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I think hes good. He is smart and looks on the bright side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I seem to be the only one that likes Hook. Since I moved to Spain he's the thing I miss most about February weekends!

Obviously he talks out his hole a lot of the time but he needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Give me him over Inverdale and co anyday.

Shaggy is very good though in what I've seen of him before

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I find his tone a little condescending at times, but his analysis in general seems spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

My one reservation is that he's still a member of the Leinster squad so he can't be too critical of team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Same as above, current players can't really make great pundits, but when he retires I'm sure he will be very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Has the making of a great pundit imo. He's very articulate, and when he (sadly) retires he won't be as restricted from being critical of his team mates. Offers a different, more informed, outlook to the bluster of Hook, Pope and McGuirk which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tox56 wrote: »
    Same as above, current players can't really make great pundits, but when he retires I'm sure he will be very good.

Frankie Sheehan:(

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

The best pundit in Ireland and the UK for that matter from what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I think it is good to get a fresh take on the game, especially from someone well connected to the setup - Hook , however hard he tries , will never be a dunphy , Eamon was original , Hook is just a bore , well past his sell by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I think he's a good pundit, he has a good technical insight and counterbalances Hook's nonsense pretty well.

I dont think the fact that he's still a Leinster player detracts from his punditry at all. I think it makes him better for it because it forces him to be diplomatic so he cant be accused of being blatantly biased like Frankie which makes him more credible.

He does get a bit tongue tied now and again but I'm sure its not easy trying to condense your opinions into a 15 second answer. A panel of Shaggy, Conor and Pope would be great. Pope is a decent analyst I think but Hook has dragged him down to his level over the years. Take the troll that is George Hook out of the panel and I think we could have great insight, and disagreements on the core issues rather than disagreement for the sake of TV at the expense of everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Shaggy is a sound man.

But as a fellow Meath man and a near enough neighbour of his I haven't a clue were hes got that accent from! At least the likes of Kearney can use the excuse that they went off to boarding school

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

boynesider wrote: »
    Shaggy is a sound man.

But as a fellow Meath man and a near enough neighbour of his I haven't a clue were hes got that accent from! At least the likes of Kearney can use the excuse that they went off to boarding school

You trying being mates with Brian O'Driscoll so! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Shaggy is a sound man.

I think he can be thankful he has lost the Meath accent:D
    In fairness,how long has he been living in and earning his living in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Shaggy is a sound man.

Are his parents not English? At least they lived in England for years before he was born, so he probably got it from them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

skregs wrote: »
    Are his parents not English? At least they lived in England for years before he was born, so he probably got it from them

It's not an English accent he has at all, rather a south dublin one.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

WeeBushy wrote: »

I know, but its probably why he hasn't a Meath accent. I remember an interview with his sister talking about growing up in London before moving to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Failed the first test of punditry by not being impartial. His promotion of Reddan and defence D'arcy was somewhat extreme and OTT which led Hook to subtly hint about bias. His interjection mid-match to criticise Murray was particularly inappropriate.
    I don't think RTE will have him back on for an Irish game while he remains a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Those comments were all fair.
    What's inappropriate about saying mid match that Reddan has made a difference when it's blatantly obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Downlinz wrote: »
    Failed the first test of punditry by not being impartial. His promotion of Reddan and defence D'arcy was somewhat extreme and OTT which led Hook to subtly hint about bias. His interjection mid-match to criticise Murray was particularly inappropriate.
    I don't think RTE will have him back on for an Irish game while he remains a player.

I thought he actually stood up for Murray tbh and you can hardly expect him to criticise his team mates.

And the accent is definitely not the one he had when he was going for Meath minor trials all those years ago. I can confirm that, it used to be as thick as Shi'ite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Downlinz wrote: »

Seemed pretty impartial to me, was pretty clear to anyone who knew anything about rugby that Murray was giving slow ball.

Ignoring stuff like that isnt being impartial its being a shít pundit. Anyone with a basic grasp of the game can sit in the studio and analyse a game without going into specifics. He pointed out the issues at SH and when Reddan came on he showed just how much those problems were holding Ireland back.

He also defended Trimble and talked up POM, he didnt ignore everyone else in favour of talking up his mates he was just giving honest opinions which were pretty on the ball as far as I seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think a lot of people confuse "impartial" with "never criticising or praising anyone."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

He looks utter ridiculous with the dyed hair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

George knew he was dealing with a different kettle of fish with shaggy as against Frankie. I cracked up watching shaggy giving it beans outgunning George.

.....and he's a damn good commentator too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

dyed hair?! Pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Oh yeah, looked well dyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

WeeBushy wrote: »

As someone who grew up partly in England, I'm struck when I return to Ireland these days how anglicized and 'posh' the SD accent has become over the last 25 years. A lot of the younger people sound more English than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

MungBean wrote: »
    Seemed pretty impartial to me, was pretty clear to anyone who knew anything about rugby that Murray was giving slow ball.

Ignoring stuff like that isnt being impartial its being a shít pundit. Anyone with a basic grasp of the game can sit in the studio and analyse a game without going into specifics. He pointed out the issues at SH and when Reddan came on he showed just how much those problems were holding Ireland back.

He also defended Trimble and talked up POM, he didnt ignore everyone else in favour of talking up his mates he was just giving honest opinions which were pretty on the ball as far as I seen.

I don't often agree with Kidney but even he said that the supply of ball from the pack had improved when Reddan came on. The introduction of Ryan and O'Mahony had a bigger impact than that of Reddan.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

I don't often agree with Kidney but even he said that the supply of ball from the pack had improved when Reddan came on. The introduction of Ryan and O'Mahony had a bigger impact than that of Reddan.
    Come on Lapsed, of course Kidney said that. He was hardly going to hang his 22 year old scrummie out to dry, was he? Anyone with eyes in their head could see Murray was having a poor game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

testicle wrote: »
    He looks utter ridiculous with the dyed hair!

Must say I noticed that too... I must be a metrosexual then. F me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Come on Lapsed, of course Kidney said that. He was hardly going to hang his 22 year old scrummie out to dry, was he? Anyone with eyes in their head could see Murray was having a poor game.

Murray didn't have his finest day at the office and Reddan is a quality player BUT the s/h can only play with the ball that is presented to him. Italy were worn down by the time Reddan appeared and the supply of ball had improved. I also believe that Murray is playing to instructions from the side line and made no breaks that I can remember. I think that he'll stay with Murray forthe French game given his strength and size over Reddan but he has to pick a genuine 7 and Ryan in the 2nd row. Heaslip was outplayed by Parisse, (Heaslip is a Lion, that shouldn't happen) and O'Brien was anomynous. The backrow is unbalanced. Ferris at 6, O'Brien at 8 and O'Mahony at 7.

Advertisement