Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dettol on dogs?

• 04-02-2007 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

My dog has lost some hair and his skin is like infected is it safe to use Dettol Antiseptic Disinfectant on him.
    It says it containss Chloroxylenol whatever that is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I know its poisonous to cats , I wouldn't attempt to put it near any animal without proper advice from a vet.

Wait until tomorrow morning and speak to your vet before you try anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Like, take him to a vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Dont use Dettol , My dog had a very similar problem , patches of hair missing and some infection , I brought him to the vet , he suggested using germoline , that will do no harm to the dog and clean up the infection , he may not like the smell , but it will give him relief from the pain and the itch and keep the area infection free.

He also put him on a course of prestinol , a little white tablet , that cleared up the problem in no time.

As a long term thing the vet said to me that its most likely something he is eating that was causing the issue , after a long while we figured out that it was red meat , so we put him on a diet of dry food and rice and chicken and made sure he wasnt getting any junk to eat off the kids like sweets etc.

He is fine now , he flares up the odd time , but this is usually when hes scoffed something off the ground while out for a walk , like someones discard burger or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

K thanks all its just that my parents are too busy to take my dog to the vet =[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Jonakin wrote:

Your dog is clearly sick, if you were sick would they take you to the hospital / doctor ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Jonakin wrote:
    Vets do house calls. Give them a call and see if they are passing by your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Jonakin wrote:

For gods sake take the dog or call the vet to the house - don't leave an animal suffering from some complaint that is causing him to loose his fur
    That's just downright cruelty.

People shouldn't be allowed to have pets if their lives are so full they can't administer medical attention to it when it is sick.

Sorry if I sound harsh but that statement has made me really angry

Advertisement