Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working 9 days in a row

• 02-09-2009 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    just starte a new job 2 weekends ago. Im working this saturday and sunday, and 2 days ago rang my boss and he said Im working next monday to sunday. I dont know if he realises, but that's 9 days in a row.
    The hours are 9.30 to 6PM with a one hour break for lunch. It's a chain toy shop if that makes any difference.
    I was talking to some of the girls that work there and they told me to tell him I wont work more than 5 days in a row, because if I do 9 days in a row once he may expect me to do it again if I dont pipe up now and say anything.

My question is: is this even legal?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭donkey balls

explain it to him first he probely forgot about the hours your doing if he still insists on you working 9 days in a row ask him has he ever here of the working time directive 48 hr week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/hours-of-work/rest-periods-and-breaks
    You are entitled to 11 consecutive hours rest in any period of 24 hours. In addition you should get 24 consecutive hours rest in any period of 7 days and this should normally follow on from one of the 11-hour rest periods already mentioned, or

Therefore illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Thanks very much, both of you.
    I'll talk to him about it Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You quoted selectively. The real quote is:
    The definition of a rest period is any time that is not working time. The rest periods set out in the Act are as follows:

(a) You are entitled to 11 consecutive hours rest in any period of 24 hours. In addition you should get 24 consecutive hours rest in any period of 7 days and this should normally follow on from one of the 11-hour rest periods already mentioned, or

(b) As an alternative your employer can give you two 24-hour rest periods in the week that follows one in which you did not get the entitlement described in (a) above.

Therfore OP, the 9 days are legal, as long as you get 2 consecutive days +11 hours off afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

You need to talk to him. Bring a print out of the laws etc to refer to. Is there any HR (although in my experience there were never any help!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ask him has he ever here of the working time directive 48 hr week
    One can work 9 (8 hr) days in a row without breaking the 48 hour week. As has been said, once the time off is given at the end of the cycle, it's perfectly legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 shinystar

just tell him... it is probably just an oversight on his part... if you start bringing in printouts explaining the law when you have only been working there a couple off weeks may give the impression that you could be sticky ... sometimes a reminder is all that is needed.. if that doesnt work then mayb then bring out the printouts...

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Oh i forgot to come back to the thread, its all sorted now. He had just made a mistake, Im only working til Friday, not working the weekend aswell.
    Ta everyone for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kameni_zg

Hi all,

First of all apologies for bumping this topic after quite some time, but its a perfect one to my question.

I have the same situation, scheduled to work 9 days and I did speak to a manager, but I did not really get a resolution I was hoping for.

So Im scheduled to work Monday in March, then off for Tuesday and Wednesday, in again for the rest of the week including the Sat and Sun, and again Mon-Fri the following week with Sat and Sun off. Which makes it 9 days in a row. Job is a IT job with shifts one week 10:30-19 and the week after 8am-16:30. 1h unpaid break.

Is this legal?

Mon IN
    Tue OFF
    Wed OFF
    Thu IN
    Fri IN
    Sat IN
    Sun IN
    Mon IN
    Tue IN
    Wed IN
    Thu IN
    Fri IN
    Sat OFF
    Sun OFF

I am not really happy with this schedule as it's not really something I was promised.
    And I did read the citizen info and I think it is legal I am just looking to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Just finished 11 days straight with 4 days of the 11 on 24 HR on call support.
    Is it legal, who knows.
    If you say anything then your told people on the dole would love to be in your position.
    Out of hours is flat rate, (very little) regardless of actual hours worked.

And this cycles, every 1 in 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Normally there a reward for doing a long amount of continuous days. In my last job some of the staff worked 9 straight days every 3 weeks, but they were happy to do it as there last day was a Friday finishing at 3pm and they weren't back till Thursday at 3pm.
    In the end we had to stop it as they were getting too tired and grumpy by day 8 and 9, so it's cut to 7 days max now.

I think of you can legally work 11 days in the row if you have 1 day off before and 2 days off afterwards. I could be wrong.

Advertisement