Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Actually I dont think your far wrong, if the government wasnt involved in industry/business and such, the country would fall apart, we are such a small country that the government runs things as a state even tho it makes a loss as its things the country needs, e.g buses...if we lived in a country where everything was a business, and the government did not implement rules over running of said business think about the different factors would be affected, many hospitals would close down, and the wards in ones that didnt would (more so than currently), there would be no train service, bus routes would be restricted, different companies such as oil, electricity, airlines, could drive up their prices sky high...etc etc.....I know that may not all be 100% correct, I just remember discussing this in class in LC business as to why that sort of approach would never work in Ireland.

You're right, it wouldn't work anywhere. And what you're saying isn't cynical, it's what would actually happen. Society would fall apart. Democratically elected governments will never ever be popular but it's the only system that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Libertarinism works for the haves. Things for the have-nots would be even worse than they are now. You'd want to be damn sure you have it in you to make it to the top to want to see a libertarian system in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

What's all this talk about libertarians?

10329035_298509673652171_6370778628581454598_n.jpg?oh=ceda8f82b3c78b4d9ff583977fe44935&oe=55B8EF38&__gda__=1438008658_a432bbce2828d832f610dd72a8646341

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This is what my desk looks like right now...

11013143_818333354868556_5572986412083343336_n.jpg?oh=115a5ad0a08ee5b7b63a05cee9620632&oe=55B43C03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Do you own all of that? :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I wish!

*looks longingly into the distance*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

This is hilarious. I can't contain myself from 1.15-1.28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

The excessive state ownership is only a problem if the state is not held accountable to the people who elect it. which it would be if things were done correctly

jbc0c_zpspi873w5t.jpg
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    This is what my desk looks like right now...

UL student accommodation gives your spacial relations a massive boost.

jbc0c_zpspi873w5t.jpg

UL student accommodation gives your spacial relations a massive boost.

Yeah... those... *ahem*

Totally. :o

Yeah... those... *ahem*

Totally. :o

What software do you record with?

• Advertisement

What software do you record with?

The software on the small laptop in the photo is SAM Broadcaster. That's what we use for streaming to our SHOUTcast server and recording everything.

When I'm recording stuff for myself (like when I'm making adverts or what have you) I use Audacity, because I couldn't afford Audition and got really used to Audacity and it does all I want/need it to do for now.
    Though I've got access to Audition now so I'll be trying to transition to that just so I can throw it down on the CV. :P

The software on the small laptop in the photo is SAM Broadcaster. That's what we use for streaming to our SHOUTcast server and recording everything.

When I'm recording stuff for myself (like when I'm making adverts or what have you) I use Audacity, because I couldn't afford Audition and got really used to Audacity and it does all I want/need it to do for now.
    Though I've got access to Audition now so I'll be trying to transition to that just so I can throw it down on the CV. :P

I always found Audacity a bit barren, but it's very versatile for what it is all the same. Have a look at Mixcraft - it's a cheapish solution that you can really push to the limit.

All must bring sacrifices to the altar of Creative Suite, The RAM Eater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Lads I'm so bored lately. Bored makes my uptight an boring. This is one big circle

Today just been a weird day. Found out a straight friend is actually gay and got called hunk twice by different people.

Any of you fine folks vegetarian?

Went shopping today and came to the conclusion that while meat is damn tasty it's also dear as funk.

Was thinking vegetarian might be the smarter money decision but I dunno if the possibility of variation exists for five square meals of carrots a day

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any of you fine folks vegetarian?

Went shopping today and came to the conclusion that while meat is damn tasty it's also dear as funk.

Was thinking vegetarian might be the smarter money decision but I dunno if the possibility of variation exists for five square meals of carrots a day

My girlfriend tried to go vegetarian for the month of March. She lasted 2 weeks before giving up on it. Fish and vegetables and lentils are great but it takes a fair bit of planning to find the right balance to do it healthily.

There's a guy who used to post here, syncosised, who I think tried it as an experiment once and kept it up permanently after. He hasn't posted in a year though!

You just need to find yourself a few butchers who do deals on chicken/mince/pork steaks.

Fish is meat FFS.

I don't get how some vegetarians can be so f*cking preachy, yet not consider fish to be meat.

I've gone a week or two without meat before, mainly just due to not being bothered enough to go shopping so just used what I had to hand for meals. Probably wasn't the healthiest of times, but I didn't really miss meat that much tbh.

Nothing nicer than some beef or lamb though! I wish we had the facilities at home to slaughter one of our cattle and have like fresh as f*ck meat rather than just sending them to the factory.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It helps if you're into green veg, I guess. I'm mad about broccoli, spinach, mange tout, green beans, courgettes, etc at the moment. Bit of ricotta with those is unreal.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    ......Yeah the only reason Im pollotarian is that I was bullied into it by my friend :P Trust me I do not reccomend it, its picky as fak.....like if I go to someones house Ill have to turn down dinner sometimes cause theyve made porkchops or slami pizza or beef stew etc etc

Its a pain in a hole "being a picky eater"

Damn I miss pudding :(

Oh god... pork chops... *drools and stares wistfully into the distance*

I wish we had the facilities at home to slaughter one of our cattle and have like fresh as f*ck meat rather than just sending them to the factory.
    Can't have it too fresh now. You need to leave the carcass hang for like 21 days. :P

• Advertisement

Can't have it too fresh now. You need to leave the carcass hang for like 21 days. :P

That's only an old wives' tale. The best cuts of beef are still dripping in blood and reeking of fear. :P

For the record, I'm not actually like this when it comes to cattle. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Nothing nicer than some beef or lamb though! I wish we had the facilities at home to slaughter one of our cattle and have like fresh as f*ck meat rather than just sending them to the factory.
    That's only an old wives' tale. The best cuts of beef are still dripping in blood and reeking of fear. :P

Remind me to never let you near my cattle.

Heh

Walking back to my B&B tonight; along the hedgerows. At the same time as I passed one section something was coming out. Too dark to tell but it might have been a badger or a fox. I wouldn't have even noticed only for It bolted back into the ditch in a panic cause it spotted me. Growling as it trashed around.

One almighty hit of adrenaline flooded my system in that moment. For a split second I thought it was the start of real life The Walking Dead; in Monaghan of all places :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Walking back to my B&B tonight; along the hedgerows. At the same time as I passed one section something was coming out. Too dark to tell but it might have been a badger or a fox. I wouldn't have even noticed only for It bolted back into the ditch in a panic cause it spotted me. Growling as it trashed around.

One almighty hit of adrenaline flooded my system in that moment. For a split second I thought it was the start of real life The Walking Dead; in Monaghan of all places :pac:

Remind me to tune in next week. If you don't hear from me, I must have fell off the edge of my seat and smashed my head.

Don't bother ringing an ambulance I'd rather bleed out than die of embarrassment explaining to the paramedics why I am commando with a belt around my neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Remind me to tune in next week. If you don't hear from me, I must have fell off the edge of my seat and smashed my head.

Don't bother ringing an ambulance I'd rather bleed out than die of embarrassment explaining to the paramedics why I am commando with a belt around my neck.

...wat?!

Also, obligatory - DANGERZONEEEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

7ruxCiw.png
    Indeed.

The accent here in Monaghan is awful odd. Have mistaken so many people for either eastern Europe or dutch.

Random question to ask ye. what do ye lads think of guys shaving their legs or manscaping as such. To be honest we live in such a weird time that I no longer know what's the norm if there is any. Personally I like the body hair on myself but when I'm in shorts i question is it still normal to have leg hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Jhcx wrote: »
    Random question to ask ye. what do ye lads think of guys shaving their legs or manscaping as such. To be honest we live in such a weird time that I no longer know what's the norm if there is any. Personally I like the body hair on myself but when I'm in shorts i question is it still normal to have leg hair.

It is 100% normal to still have leg hair.

Advertisement