Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

I rang Meteor they said this week, but I don't if that is for online sales or in the shops, they could not give me any prices so I doubt it will be in this week anyway.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Here is the link to my video comparison of the Sony Xperia S white & Black:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siUjG5pYt3w&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!!

I'll give you 10 out of 10 for trying, but reviewing 2 dummy phones was pointless. Entertaining none the less, keep up the good work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Was told Thursday or Friday in the Three shop on Grafton St today

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I was waiting for one of the Quad core phones, One X or S3 but I'm really liking the look of this, and if those are the real prices €420-450 payg then I'm seriously tempted by it. Quad core will probably be overkill for another while to come yet anyway.
    And the screen is amazing

Looks fantastic. How do Meteor have it for such a low price . I just moved from Meteor to Three at the start of the summer and have no interest in going back right now ha

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

I rang Meteor they said this week, but I don't if that is for online sales or in the shops, they could not give me any prices so I doubt it will be in this week anyway.:confused:

I have prices here. It should be Wednesday or Thursday as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Saw a meteor advert on adverts.ie showing the xperia s and saying 'get it in white only on meteor'. I click on the link but couldn't find it on the website.

mal1 wrote: »
    Saw a meteor advert on adverts.ie showing the xperia s and saying 'get it in white only on meteor'. I click on the link but couldn't find it on the website.

White is slightly delayed. Black launches on Meteor tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anyone know if this is out of stck already or if it still hasnt been shipped in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

The much awaited Sony Xperia S has landed in Carphone Warehouse Stores nationwide, limited stock available so don't delay Guys! Please RT!
    https://twitter.com/#!/CarphoneIE/status/179920643234603008
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/strong-Sony-strongXperia-S-Black/238503/1_1

Yeah was in carphone warehouse today in Limerick and they had them in stock just not for Three.

Looks as though Three don't even know when they'll have it in. All they know is sometime this month.Also no idea how they're going to get away with charging €40 more than everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Had a quick look in the box today, There are 4 NFC tags in the box, (some review packs I've seen online only had 2) and looks to be quite nifty.
    CPW only have them on the Eircom networks at the moment but the Xperia Plays we had before christmas worked with any sim so you never know. Matching Meteor with a Prepay price just shy of €410.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    Yeah was in carphone warehouse today in Limerick and they had them in stock just not for Three.

Looks as though Three don't even know when they'll have it in. All they know is sometime this month.Also no idea how they're going to get away with charging €40 more than everyone else

It's are available on their website, ya didn't look too hard......

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    It's are available on their website, ya didn't look too hard......

........Yeah it's after coming on tonight. Wasn't there a few hours ago

Integrated with the PS Store, perfect. This is going to be big.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_s_granted_access_to_the_playstation_store-news-3976.php

Been ringing around and found a place that has one in stock and on Three :pac:
    So I'll be picking that up in a while :cool:

Limited stock absolutely everywhere. Don't you just love delays.:rolleyes:

Just back with mine giving it a good charge

Had a mess about with it. The screen is insane :eek:
    Phone is massive though and will take me a while to get used to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Where did you get it? (Network store, CPW)
    What network?
    Bill or prepay upgrade/new connection?
    Price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

On o2.ie it comes up as €279 for prepay, but when you select it and try to buy it, the price magically changes to €429 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

What are your first impressions of the phone?

Also did you get a micro hdmi to hdmi cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭opus

Been ringing around and found a place that has one in stock and on Three :pac:
    So I'll be picking that up in a while :cool:

Would be interested to hear if it's got the 3 crap stuff on it or if it's it's stock Sony s/w as well as your impressions.

I'm on 3 already but think I'd rather buy a simfree phone rather than be tied to 3's s/w.

I got the phone in carphone warehouse in limerick. on 3 pre pay, the phone has zero 3 branding on it I'm sort of convinced the phone could well be sim free so might check that out. Impressions so far are excellent. Really am dead happy with it. I heard bad things about the touch buttons the bottom but it's perfect I've had no problems yet. I hit them just above the dots. The screen as I said earlier is incredible and the camera is excellent. got a good go of that last night. Flash does well too.

regarding the video recording same as the still images. very impressive .
    Phone is fast. I've had no sluggishness and I wouldn't worry about the 32gb storage as you get a free 50gb cloud storage account with box. So far probably my only worry would be battery life but there's no escaping that on these sort of phones. Needs a good few charges to even out anyway. Apologies for the rubbish way this is written out but I'm using the phone haha :pac: and also before forget In the box I got the 4 smart tags and a hdmi cable

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

After a review like that I really want to upgrade my X10 now :| Birthday is the end of the month ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hmmm, tempted by this phone all of a sudden.

What's the return policy in car phone warehouse and the likes? Want to buy one for 409 on meteor or any network to see if it's sim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Played around with the other day. First boot takes ages. Couldn't say the performance was great either. A lot of sluggishness between screen transitions. Screen camera is as good as its gets, but still can't match AMOLED I think.

Weird boxing :) not like what everyone else is doing. Extra accessories bundled in too.

Phone itself seems huge though. Matches the height of my Titan yet it sports a smaller screen and its quite thick. Its a big phone for sure. Buttons are a bit confusing in the start, kept hitting the button and not the dot.

The transparent bar is sort of cool but I think they should have never put it there, would have shaved a few mm from top to bottom. Its cool for the first couple mins but then it turns sort of useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Very meh, the only thing that jumped out at me was the camera. It looks okay, bit too big, but that's a personal preference. Nothing that would pull me away from Windows or my Lumia.

The first boot does infact take ages also the phone chugged a bit when first booted up. It all went away when the phone was shut off and on again. Just a case of the os and everything else installing and getting booted up and ready.It only ever happens on the very first boot up of the phone when its setting up android. The phone is as fast as they come. Infact the current fastest phone you can buy.obviously to be topped by the one x next month. The screen has the highest pixel density of any phone out there. Including the 4s. Also with the Sonybravia engine. Everything in perfect 720p. It is definitely however not for everyone if you like your smaller phones definitely go have a play around with one.everyone that's seen my Xperia s has been loving the screen and the camera. Top phone and it's the best android phone out at the moment but of course it'l be dropped off that fair fast with the way android moves.

one fairly annoying issue I have though is not all head phones work. They've changed it to some headphone recommended standard which rules out a surprising amount of options. You just have to make sure. Can't think of the name off the top of my head though. an old Sony pair I have don't even work. Luckily the boxed earphones seem to be of a good quality. And my sennheisers work so it's grand

As with all phones though It really boils down to personal preference, Go give it a test if you're unsure
    If anyone interested in the phone has any questions or anything about it just send me a message.Would be happy to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The first boot does infact take ages also the phone chugged a bit when first booted up. It all went away when the phone was shut off and on again. Just a case of the os and everything else installing and getting booted up and ready.It only ever happens on the very first boot up of the phone when its setting up android. The phone is as fast as they come. Infact the current fastest phone you can buy.obviously to be topped by the one x next month. The screen has the highest pixel density of any phone out there. Including the 4s. Also with the Sonybravia engine. Everything in perfect 720p. It is definitely however not for everyone if you like your smaller phones definitely go have a play around with one.everyone that's seen my Xperia s has been loving the screen and the camera. Top phone and it's the best android phone out at the moment but of course it'l be dropped off that fair fast with the way android moves.

one fairly annoying issue I have though is not all head phones work. They've changed it to some headphone recommended standard which rules out a surprising amount of options. You just have to make sure. Can't think of the name off the top of my head though. an old Sony pair I have don't even work. Luckily the boxed earphones seem to be of a good quality. And my sennheisers work so it's grand

As with all phones though It really boils down to personal preference, Go give it a test if you're unsure
    If anyone interested in the phone has any questions or anything about it just send me a message.Would be happy to answer

The headphone standard is CTIA and it's the most common out there owing to Apple. I was termpted by this when it was first announced and still like the look of it but i've a few concerns. Nearly everyone has mentioned that the capacitive buttons can sometimes be fairly unresponsive, that the new skin seems a lot heavier that what SE used in the past and there seems to be a good few people complained about a yellow stains under the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I did reboot it. I know previously SE phones used to need a restart and a little time to settle down after the first initial boot.

But even after that it still wasn't as smooth as I would have expected it to be, its not completely jerky as it was on the first boot, but I can still see lag and jerkiness between transitions. My mums Xperia Play still seems to run hell of a lot smoother on its small and nippy 1 Ghz engine.

On personal preference not something you want to see on a high end phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any ETA on ICS for it?

Advertisement