Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosney Holiday Camp (formerly Butlins)

• 22-07-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Does anyone have any photos or memories/stories of this popular summer destination on the east Meath coast? I used to spend many happy days there as a kid and teenager. It's a great pity that it closed as a holiday camp and who knows someday in the future it may be once again re-opened.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

flickarius wrote: »
    Does anyone have any photos or memories/stories of this popular summer destination on the east Meath coast? I used to spend many happy days there as a kid and teenager. It's a great pity that it closed as a holiday camp and who knows someday in the future it may be once again re-opened.

Try this link...

http://www.butlinsmemories.com/mosney/index.htm

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

i live there jsut beside mosney (well i used to. my folks still do) i doubt it will ever be a holiday camp again. the guy who owns it is making alot more money with alot less hassle at the moment to consider opening up the camp again. :( pity i used to have a great time heading down everyday in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

Thankfor the link, very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

It is a pity that Mosney closed in 2000, but I don't think it will re-open in its entirety. However, I wonder is there any chance we could get the swimming pool back (not as Funtropica) so that we have a second pool in the vicinity of Drogheda. I use the Aura pool a lot (nice pool, and especially nice building!!!), but since the recession started, it has been very busy - sometimes to the point where it is too crowded. If the pool in Mosney could be re-opened to include lane swimming - scrap the lowest level (of Funtropica) and dam wall thereby creating a 25m section leaving the water the same as level 2 (as in Funtropica). Level 3 (with the mushrooms) could be left as is, to become the kids pool.

What do you guys think!

• Advertisement

great idea but not possible i dont think. one on the windows is cracked so they cant flood the pool fully (which is why the community games swimming comp wasnt held there last time they were on). apparently (i say apparently coz i only heard off one of the lifegaurds a few years ago) that is would cost a few thousand to replace the window.

but it would be a great idea. i agree about aura being very busy these days and it would be nice to have another pubic pool in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

Is funtasia owned by Phelim Mc Closkey?

itsonlyme wrote: »
    Is funtasia owned by Phelim Mc Closkey?

yeah i'm pretty sure he co-owns funtasia and the withworth hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaxiIII

Like so many from Laytown and further afield I ( Sean McAree) recall great times working in Butlins Mosney in the ‘80s.Between different jobs including luggage, litter picking and working in the kitchen. I remember a guy called Speedy who used to rush around the kitchen with big trolleys of hot custard. If there’s anyone on this forum who also worked there in the ‘80s please share your memories. I recall the Summer when we finished there for the season that we had a group photo taken on the green near the chalets. Alas I lost the photo but if anyone has a copy please share. Thanks.

Advertisement