Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting bitten at night resulting itchy red hives

• 07-09-2012 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

my wife and three kids are getting bitten at night. although it seems sometimes new hives appear during the evening sometimes. but it is mostly concentrated to bed times. the results are large red itchy hives. no distinct evidence of a bite centre as you would get with a mosquito bite in hot countries like spain. a typical mosquito bite when you scratch it will weep and there is a bite centre. but these hives mostly do not weep occassionally, probably through excessive scratching they will weep. but there is no bite centre.

the hives seem to come from the feet upwards. around the ankles a lot and going upwards covering the whole body. the face and head are not affected. my wife in one night got 56 bites (i say bites but i dont know). hives anyway. the bite will take a week or so to heal. but will leave a long remaining mark.

the shape of the hive is never perfectly round. it can be any random type of shape.

its red in color.

this happens only for part of the summer and then stops. this happened exactly the same time last summer at the start of august.

the house is new. new furniture and beds. house is clean and ventilated. bed clothing has been washed regularly at high temps. even vaacumed the mattress. clothing is put out to dry on line. i suspect the drying of clothing outside could be a problem . we are living in the countryside surrounded by sheep and cows. we get a lot of flies as in house flies and midges. flies and midges cannot come into the house because of window protection.

please help. were desperate. dr simply prescribes a cream LYCLEAR this is for scabies. but it is not scabies from my research. we use eurax to help with itching. but we get new bites each night. i expect this will stop as the season changes. please help people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

sounds like fleas, do you have pets?
    or have you travelled abroad.... bedbugs are another possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I have the same problem and I don't think it's bed bugs or fleas . Sometimes it's only one of us in the bed that gets bitten . It can skip a good few nights before we get bitten again . It's also the same with one of my daughters . But the other one leads a charmed life and never gets bitten

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tadhgmorris

thanks tfitzgerald.

it is same for us. my daughter has no bites at all. some nights nothing next night lots of bites.

we have no pets. and have checked for bed bugs these should be visiible . and have vacummed the matress.

second year of this now. dont know what it is. i am thinking when we walk around the lawn area its a large lawn we could pick something up there and bring it to the house. but what is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I was getting savage bites similar to what you describe. I figured it was from walking around the garden, especially in sandals with no socks. Lasted about 2 weeks last month. Bites were mainly on the ankles and lower legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

I get exactly the same too and my boyfriend never gets touched. We always have our bedroom windows open during the day and the house is surrounded by trees and open fields so I reckon the biters fly in during the day and wait around till night for their midnight feast. Calamine lotion works a treat to stop the itching and helps them heal faster as well.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i get them from midge bites. if only one person is getting bitten in some cases it could be a possibility its not happening in the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sounds like fleas to me - cat or dog fleas getting in from outside. My dog brought in a few cat fleas from the garden once and I had a very similar experience to what you're describing (to a lesser extent). Lots of bites around the feet, always at night, very itchy.

I read somewhere that cat fleas will bite a human multiple times because they cannot easily digest our blood so they keep trying multiple locations to see if it tastes better somewhere else.

Could be total rubbish though :).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fifipie_d

Have you checked for Ants? It might sound silly but if you have been sitting outside it is possible for ants to make their way back in on clothes. Happened to me once and i had 3 nights of bites before i realised what it was. I know several people who get ant nests recurring every summer in the homes as well so it could be something to look into.
    Im very prone to getting bitten. If it's an insect that bites, it will bite me and i always get a very visable reaction. Ant bites look the same as most other small insect bites and if anything they can be itchier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Whatever it is . Anything with more than two legs is getting a whack of a newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

That happened me in England (bites every night in August).
    It was mosquitos. Only some species give weepy bites. You have to keep windows shut when you have the light on. The bites used to appear in lines along my legs which made me think all kinds of nasties but it was because my legs were sticking out in hot weather. Fleas would not do that at the same time of year every year and normally only one person would get bitten (or couple if sharing a bed).

I fixed it by chasing them one by one and keeping the window shut at night (grim in hot weather).

Des

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Desmo wrote: »
    That happened me in England (bites every night in August).
    It was mosquitos. Only some species give weepy bites. You have to keep windows shut when you have the light on. The bites used to appear in lines along my legs which made me think all kinds of nasties but it was because my legs were sticking out in hot weather. Fleas would not do that at the same time of year every year and normally only one person would get bitten (or couple if sharing a bed).

I fixed it by chasing them one by one and keeping the window shut at night (grim in hot weather).

Des
    I just read your description of the bites again and they are what mossy bites look and feel like. I have been bitten by mossies in bedrooms in Germany and France and even England and most species leave a bite like you described. One species (the one with stripey legs) does leave big bites that weep but the other guys mainly just leave an itchy bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

my wife and three kids are getting bitten at night. although it seems sometimes new hives appear during the evening sometimes. but it is mostly concentrated to bed times. the results are large red itchy hives. no distinct evidence of a bite centre as you would get with a mosquito bite in hot countries like spain. a typical mosquito bite when you scratch it will weep and there is a bite centre. but these hives mostly do not weep occassionally, probably through excessive scratching they will weep. but there is no bite centre.

the hives seem to come from the feet upwards. around the ankles a lot and going upwards covering the whole body. the face and head are not affected. my wife in one night got 56 bites (i say bites but i dont know). hives anyway. the bite will take a week or so to heal. but will leave a long remaining mark.

the shape of the hive is never perfectly round. it can be any random type of shape.

its red in color.

this happens only for part of the summer and then stops. this happened exactly the same time last summer at the start of august.

the house is new. new furniture and beds. house is clean and ventilated. bed clothing has been washed regularly at high temps. even vaacumed the mattress. clothing is put out to dry on line. i suspect the drying of clothing outside could be a problem . we are living in the countryside surrounded by sheep and cows. we get a lot of flies as in house flies and midges. flies and midges cannot come into the house because of window protection.

please help. were desperate. dr simply prescribes a cream LYCLEAR this is for scabies. but it is not scabies from my research. we use eurax to help with itching. but we get new bites each night. i expect this will stop as the season changes. please help people.

Common things are common. Do you have a dog or a cat?

If you do, in autumn, it is almost certainly fleas.

Until proven otherwise.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

I get the very same thing every August and late July, thought it was my dog, but he died 8 months ago and I am as bad as every now. Help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement