Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

DitzyPoo92 wrote: »
    The only reason why Internet Explorer is the most popular is because it's the internet browser that comes with all Microsoft PCs/laptops and most people are either too lazy to download a better browser or are totally clueless about computers.

There are a lot of big companies still using IE6 or IE7 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Internet Explorer simply does what it says on the tin, which is exactly what the majority of people want. Firefox and Chrome are used by people who spend hours on the Internet each day. Internet Explorer is used by people who only spend a short period online. Not hard to see why it is still so popular, but in decline.

Personally, I think it's better than FireFox, which for some reason always seems to crash on me. Saying that, I still use Chrome or Maxthon most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Useless site.

Pretty much every other (actually respected websites) rank IE as still being no1 in terms of usage. I do not use it (even when I use Windows) and it is very very much on the decline but it is still the most used.
    To be frank, I really don't care what you think is a trusted or respected site. I manage websites for a few hundred clients and ie is not a leading browser in our stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

smash wrote: »
    To be frank, I really don't care what you think is a trusted or respected site. I manage websites for a few hundred clients and ie is not a leading browser in our stats.

Stats in your websites are not indicative of the rest of the world, you likely have a more savvy audience which is great but it does not affect the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Internet Explorer is the best browser ever*

*for downloading Firefox, Chrome etc.

I love how they scatter the forward/backwards button, home button, refresh & stop buttons all over the screen.

And I'm particularly fond of not being able to add bookmarks by drag n dropping tabs into the favourites bar.

And you can't fault the plugin support!

But most of all...I really love that knowledge that there are a whole bunch of security holes that might allow someone to destroy my OS with malicious code. It's thrilling!

So in short....MS IE can **** off and die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Anyone that uses internet explorer is either completely computer illiterate or doesn't know what a browser is.

The amount of security vulnerabilities involved with internet explorer (and I mean all of them) are so bad that you would be better off just using no anti virus software at all because even if you are using a good anti virus software you will still be vulnerable to attacks and hacks of malicious code. It's time this explorer browser was dismantled and erased permanently.

Sure do you all remember this... http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/20/uk-government-internet-explorer

I use firefox 10.0.2 and in kaspersky firewall i have internet explorer blocked as untrusted. Will not allow any communication between that browser and the internet. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

zenno wrote: »
    Anyone that uses internet explorer is either completely computer illiterate or doesn't know what a browser is.

The amount of security vulnerabilities involved with internet explorer (and I mean all of them) are so bad that you would be better off just using no anti virus software at all because even if you are using a good anti virus software you will still be vulnerable to attacks and hacks of malicious code. It's time this explorer browser was dismantled and erased permanently.

Sure do you all remember this... http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/20/uk-government-internet-explorer

I use firefox 10.0.2 and in kaspersky firewall i have internet explorer blocked as untrusted. Will not allow any communication between that browser and the internet. Not a chance.

I have worked on over 10 IT projects for different companies. Every single one of them used IE. Like it or not but it still has a place in Enterprise because it is very secure compared to the likes of Google Chrome. Chrome has huge privacy concerns for firms that operate with sensetive information. The last few iterations of Firefox have been quite clunky.

I use Chrome myself at home and Firefox and IE9 at work. IE is going in the right direction now, I like the idea that each tab has it's own process so if one crashes the other tabs don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I have worked on over 10 IT projects for different companies. Every single one of them used IE. Like it or not but it still has a place in Enterprise because it is very secure compared to the likes of Google Chrome. Chrome has huge privacy concerns for firms that operate with sensetive information. The last few iterations of Firefox have been quite clunky.

I use Chrome myself at home and Firefox and IE9 at work. IE is going in the right direction now, I like the idea that each tab has it's own process so if one crashes the other tabs don't.

If you think IE is used because it is more secure than Chrome you shouldn't be allowed in the same room as the IT staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I haven't bothered to change from IE on my current pc. Used Firefox before that. Might do it tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Catch up with? It is still the biggest browser?!?

being used once to download another browser doesn't really count :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

humbert wrote: »
    If you think IE is used because it is more secure than Chrome you shouldn't be allowed in the same room as the IT staff.

If you provide IT to a Bank or Medical company and you think Chrome is more secure than IE than you should not be allowed in the same room as the IT staff ;) Also please tell me which one's you work for so I can go somewhere else. I worked for an Irish bank before in my last job and their security was enough to make me pull my account!

If you are deploying it to your users and they are dealing with sensetive information you should reconsider! Take a look at caching in Google Chrome, also if you haven't already you should tweak your policies to lock it down. Even when it's at it's most lock down there's still huge security holes.

With IE, it's the enterprise leader, as quick as a bug is found a fix is issued and can be applied as an urgent update. Have a look at Googles release strategies.

Here's a link declaring Google Chrome to be the most secure browser. The comparison was carried out by Google:
    http://blog.zonealarm.com/2012/02/which-web-browser-is-the-most-secure.html

Recent article about Chrome security flaws mentioning the Google bounty for hackers to try and crack Chrome.
    http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/389-google-chrome-contains-critical-security-flaws.html

Rob Rankins comparison declaring IE8 and IE9 more secure, as he say's by a long shot
    http://askbobrankin.com/which_browser_is_the_most_secure.html

I look forward to hearing your reasons why all the above mentioned are good things in a secure IT environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Most sites in Korea only work with IE and <a lot of >Active X plug-ins, making IE the biggest browser used here by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

titan18 wrote: »
    El Weirdo wrote: »

Tbf, the vast majority of stats show IE as still being the biggest, but losing users. Also, the w3schools stats are pretty far away from everything else I've seen

As they point out further down the page, their visitors are not average users:
    W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to the browser that comes preinstalled with their computer, and do not seek out other browser alternatives.

A much better source of stats is http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportClients.htm which is almost entirely wikipedia.org traffic (a top 6 site with neutral content).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ITT: a load of geeks try to show off their e-peen to defend their favourite browser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

IE will remain king until Windows dies a death. It is the internet for a huge number of people. The same kind of people who google 'facebook' to get to their facebook page :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

/googles internet explorer on firefox

As one of the biggest tech companies on the planet Microsoft or Internet Explorer are going nowhere, of course it can bounce back

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see an ad there for a relaunch of Internet Explorer. Do you think it will be able to catch up with Chrome and Firefox, or is it doomed forever?
    IE is still the most used browser according to stats provided by posters in this thread.
    Where do you get your info from?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most sites in Korea only work with IE and <a lot of >Active X plug-ins, making IE the biggest browser used here by far.
    Also most used browser in China still.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Internet explorer is the workds greatest browser....for downloading other browsers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Ah I'm happy enough with IE. I used Mozilla for a long time but I never found it significantly better....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Explorer 8 is as good as Firefox and chrome, but I just tried to download explorer 9 and I was given a fkucyou your version of windows does not support it,, my comp is only 3 months old.

Typical typical MS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

DitzyPoo92 wrote: »
    The only reason why Internet Explorer is the most popular is because it's the internet browser that comes with all Microsoft PCs/laptops and most people are either too lazy to download a better browser or are totally clueless about computers.

Eh... same can be said for Safari on Macs...

Anyhow, in my opinion all browsers I've used are shíte. Only use Firefox because it's not as shíte as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

In October 2011 IE dropped below 50% in the Marketshare of Combined Internet Browsers

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/11/the-end-of-an-era-internet-explorer-drops-below-50-percent-of-web-usage.ars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

I use whichever browser is the best, wouldnt be a fanboy as such, so if its better I would go back.

Been using Firefox for a long time now, Don't really like Chrome, Java applets used to crash a lot on it, not sure if thats fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I guess it's like someone with a basic phone. Some people just want to make calls and text. They don't need or want a Smart Phone crammed with apps.

IE is like the basic phone. Just good for checking web mail and checking the newsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's still the number one browser in corporate land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I moved to win 7 I found chrome freezing and crashing and I moved to IE9 - it's much more stable.
    I don't understand people saying chrome or firefox is so much better, is it like a fashion thing? Is it cool to hate IE?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I moved to win 7 I found chrome freezing and crashing and I moved to IE9 - it's much more stable.
    I don't understand people saying chrome or firefox is so much better, is it like a fashion thing? Is it cool to hate IE?

The whole fact of the matter is which browser is the most secure from vulnerabilities and I have to say firefox is. If you want to use a browser like internet explorer then you are wide open to attack it's that simple.

I personally only use firefox because it has better security than the rest of other browsers and not just because it might look good but for it's better security. If you do not care about security then by all means use internet explorer.

It has nothing to do with looks. It is all about your personal security.

Advertisement