Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 40 min 10km training plan

• 30-03-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I’m wondering if someone here would mind sharing their 10KM training plan.
    I bought the Jack Daniels running book hoping to improve my quality of running, run 4/5 days a week, I’m running almost a year now, did DCM last year and now started with a few local 10Ks. I’m close to breaking sub 40, just 30 seconds off so I would ideally like a plan that would bring me on to maybe sub 38 eventually. Although I know people swear by the jack daniels book, I find if difficult to understand for a novice.Not sure of tempo, threashold pace,etc..
    So I would be grateful if someone would know a simple plan I could follow for the next few months. Or any advice much appreciated also.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

What kind of training and paces have you been using up to now? Running sub 40 for 10k after 12 months running means you're not doing a whole lot wrong so probably better to critique your current training methods which have obviously kept you ticking over injury free for the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭jfh

hi gringo, i've been running 30/40 miles per week since mid jan. my routine has been one long run, 10 miles once a week, three or four 5-8 miles, try to push myself to go under 7 min miles for a mile or so on each.
    I just seem to have reached a stage now where i'm not improving def finding the runs easier, just need to take it to the next level. I'm running on my own so i would prefer a plan that says you have to do so many miles within a certain time, rather than train at such a pace(tempo,threashold).
    there a few 10km coming up in the next few weeks and i'd like to get under 40, is there one type of run that better than other to get time down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭token56

Just wondering do you do much interval work, such as 4 * 1 mile , or 1k's or 800's etc. Introducing a session like this once or twice a week could help you, shorter intervals will help with your base speed, like 200's or 400's and the longer intervals will help with the speed endurance like 1 mile's etc. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jayok77

To be honest there is only so far you can bring yourself. What I would advise from my own experience is joining an athletics club and drawing on the knowledge of the coaches there. It costs about €100 for the year and you have full access to the track and also if they have a gym. There is also no obligation to join sessions or run races you dont want to. I should know, im quite picky about my races and rarely join my club for a session, preferring to do my own training unless its my long easy run of the week. And you meet loads of really nice people too.

However I benefit from being able to talk to qualified coaches in person or by email whenever I want. It's too difficult getting bits and pieces of advice off anonymous people on the net who are probably not qualified to put a plan together. I'm sure everyone here has the best intentions for you but if your going to start a plan for such an ambitious target which you will have to work on every day at least know its reputable and looks into the future not just immediate future.

Good luck with the training and I hope you find a suitable club...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

jfh wrote: »
    hi gringo, i've been running 30/40 miles per week since mid jan. my routine has been one long run, 10 miles once a week, three or four 5-8 miles, try to push myself to go under 7 min miles for a mile or so on each.
    I just seem to have reached a stage now where i'm not improving def finding the runs easier, just need to take it to the next level. I'm running on my own so i would prefer a plan that says you have to do so many miles within a certain time, rather than train at such a pace(tempo,threashold).
    there a few 10km coming up in the next few weeks and i'd like to get under 40, is there one type of run that better than other to get time down?

Thats good mileage per week and a nice long run.

If the aim is for 10k < 40min (approx 6:25 per mile) then you need to vary the pace in training.

Keep the 10 mile run slow, no faster than 7:30 per mile

Do one session of intervals per week around you 10k pace so 5x0.5m @ 6:25 pace per mile for each rep with same time jog recovery (i.e 3:12 for the 800m and then jog slowly for 3:15)

Try a tempo run - 4 miles @ 6:35 pace with 2 miles warmup and 2 miles cooldown.

Keep any other sessions you do very easy/recovery >8:00 pace. Don't do 2 hard sessions on successive days and theres no need to do both in a week, one of them and the long run is enough, great if you can both interval and tempo in.

If you find the interval and tempo paces too tough, slow them down a bit and build up to those paces over a few weeks and continue to build.

Joining a club is a very good idea also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

jfh wrote: »
    your my echo , in the very same position my self , can pm u what im at if you like ? got some sound advice off tergat

Thank you all for making the suggestions, jayok77, you make a good argument for joining a club, i'm based in clare, don't know anyone in a club but will i will speak to someone after a 10km. i figured i'd have to be at a certain level before i joined though.
    token56, i don't do any structured interval work, i would try to run 6:30 for a mile and then ease back to 7 min miles for another mile and then ease back altogether. i will take on board suggestions made regarding the intervals.
    thanks again for your help.

hi gringo, appreciate the help, just to make sure i understand 10k pace so 5x0.5m @ 6:25 pace per mile for each rep with same time jog recovery (i.e 3:12 for the 800m and then jog slowly for 3:15)

do 800 m in 3 min:12sec at 6.25 pace, then jog slowly for 3:15, do it five times in total.

i understand the tempo run, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭token56

I'd also give one last piece of advice, if you are interested you should start a training log here, its always good record progress, and its nice to watch other peoples progress too.

ya first chance i get over the easter, i'll start a training log, i have a garmin and upload runs, keeps an eye on weekly milage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement