Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darken the Stock of a Shotgun

• 30-05-2011 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Does anyone have any recommendations of how to slightly darken the stock of a shotgun. I bought a Beretta 686E Sporting a year or so back and it’s a perfect gun but from an aesthetic point of view, I think that the wood is too light in colour. I was thinking of trying some sort of rub on wax. Nothing too drastic, just something i can do myself. Has anyone tried something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Traditionally a dark wood stain was made from Walnut hulls, put them in rainwater and then boil them down with a nail in the pot.
    This makes a dark stain that will darken wood.
    Your stock is probably sealed with a wax/lacquer and may need to be stripped back before you can darken it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What finish do beretta use on their shotgun stocks ? I always thought they used tru-oil which is a oil/varnish finish , if it is then the original finish would have to be removed , it could be an awful lot of work for very little gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dave-0

You are correct, I have no intention of stripping or taking any chances at all. I would be afraid that I would only make a dogs dinner of it. The original berretta finish does appear to be varnished. I need to have a look in a few hardware stores to see if there is any darkened bees wax / French polish type stuff. I could try a bit on the inside of the forearm stock and if it’s ok go for the whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

there is nothing that will work on a varnished finish in my experience if you want to darken it it you will have to remove the varnish and go for a stain or an oil finish with a bit of colour in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The british gunmakers used to use a substance called alkanet root dye , it gives a red colour to the stock and they finished with boiled linseed oil , the problem with the linseed oil is it oxidizes with contact with the air and darkens , thats why old shotguns have such dark wood.
    The tru-oil used by beretta is not an oil finish as such, but a very thin varnish. I don't know what removes it though. If you look up guitar building websites they will have information on using tru-oil as its very popular as a guitar finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I agree 100% with Rowa / Landkeeper.
    Berretta use an oil finish on most of their stocks – that would have to be removed first, then stain applied and a new oil finish built up. Not difficult, but time-consuming. Alternatively you could buy an aftermarket stock & forend – they start at about USD500-600 for Beretta and increase in price according to quality / grain of the wood.
    You would be wasting money & time putting anything on top of what is there already.
    Rs
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BIG BANG

There is a chap that makes gun stocks in Enniscorthy Co Wexford. He might be able to advise you on what to do. He has a web site www.gunstocks.ie

Advertisement