Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours building an extension boundary issue

• 12-10-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

neighbours property,extension

hello i need help here (my spelling sucks so sorry for that)i live in a semi in cork my extension is the boundary wall to my neighbours and then a wall.(bought the house that way)

now my neighbour is building a extension (no talk notice etc)

have a steel support (bar) put in to the walll and now some roof tiles have being removed for more wooden planks to be inserted

the builder called when i saw that and informed me that the neighbour should have called six weeks ago.

I informed him that i am taking this in hand and got on to cork county council and wateford to get the boundry plans (25euro )

any help please where to go etc

thanks noel

ps i copied and paste old thread Building on the boundary wall is not a planning matter - this needs to be agreed with your neighbourIt's when you build over the boundry (1mm) that the boundry can become a very big issue and a planning matter.
    I can 100% tell you planners or planning departments will not want to know if that happens - they will tell you it's a civil matter, not a planning issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

IF your neighbors extension is exempt from planning then there was/is no need for a site notice . But really they ought to have spoken to you purely to be good neighbors .

I am unclear of what you mean here
    noel50 wrote: »
    have a steel support (bar) put in to the walll and now some roof tiles have being removed for more wooden planks to be inserted

No one can alter your property without your consent . If this is whats happening you need

1. a solicitor
    2. an architectural technician

Now we don't allow discussion on legal matters - I will leave the thread open for a while but it MAY be later locked .

Noel - don't want to scare you off here - but can you try to explain again how the neighbors works are affecting you please .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭noel50

my extension wall is the boundary wall to my neighbours and then a wall(carries on from the extension wall) to divide us (the same guy built both houses for him and his mother in the past).(bought the house that way) she is working on that wall(extension) steel support etc are being put up tiles being removed on my side holes driled etc she is putting up a extension on her side hope that clear things up tx noel

Are they trying to "copy" your extension like in the sketch here ?

got this plan online my kitchen goes fully to the boundary wall (i am on the left side)in the middle a boundary wall goes on from that divides both houses my extension is the boundary wall between the two houses. dont know my neighbours plans.tx noel any advice welcometsd003_ground.gif this plan online

• Advertisement

i have a slate roof upside down v

Can you find the Rear Elevation online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

noel50 wrote: »
    my extension wall is the boundary wall to my neighbours and then a wall(carries on from the extension wall) to divide us (the same guy built both houses for him and his mother in the past).(bought the house that way) she is working on that wall(extension) steel support etc are being put up tiles being removed on my side holes driled etc she is putting up a extension on her side hope that clear things up tx noel

Seeing as your kitchen extension wall is the party wall then a way to see it is like this (remembering that a party wall belongs to both sides equally)

1) Your property carried out (in the past) heavy modifications to the original party wall in order to maximise space in the kitchen extension. The alternative, building the extension wall within the party wall, would have cost 1 foot of kitchen width.

2) Your neighbours property now wants to carry out heavy modification to the modified party wall in order to maximise space in their kitchen extension in precisely the same way.

It seems to me that if "your property" can take advantage this way, then it's reasonable that the "neighbouring property" be allowed to do the same. Consider: in order for "your property" to have modified the party wall back then, permission would have had to been required from the neighbour.. Assuming they gave that permission, it'd be a little rich if "your property" didn't give permission back.

The only issue then would be that good work is carried out (with preferably the decency to mention it to you).

Can you find the Rear Elevation online ?
    not my house in the plans all i could get to get my point accross had no kitchen in my plans had a full extension (single ) back from the old house tx for the info everyone ps waiting to get the plans from waterford

Seeing as your kitchen extension wall is the party wall then a way to see it is like this (remembering that a party wall belongs to both sides equally)
    i dont know if it is a party wall will have to wait on the plans (it looks to me it is not) tx for the info if i was informed there would be no problem now i am going to look into it tx again noel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it form part of the boundry, and you appear to describe that it does, then its a shared boundary/party wall.

I can prob clarify for the readers. The above sketch isn't the OP house, but similar. His kitchen extends to full width, right up to the boundary. It appears the the neighbours is now extending across to meet this wall.

Noel, by the sounds of things, assuming that they are exempt from planning, and they likely are, then they are within their rights.

They should however, spoke to you first, and they can't go near your roof without your permission.

My advice would be to speak to them, and as long as they guarantee that they'll make sure that all work is a high standard and that both roofs are made good and drain properly, then its not a problem.

They should however, spoke to you first, and they can't go near your roof without your permission.
    tx so much for the info mellor and everbody the problem is they have done both tiles removed and part of my roof coverered over (guttering removed i think right name?) to side of my building still waiting for boundary plans from waterford to see about party wall tx again noel

Noel I don't believe that the establishment the boundary line is the issue here . It would seem to be self evident by the structures already built . Your property should not be altered without your consent is the main issue as I see it .

It may will end up that the completed works will be fine i.e. that you will suffer no disadvantage ultimately . Better to be sure though .

I think you best course of action is to seek out a good architectural technician or architect or engineer .

You can suggest to your neighbor that HE will be sent that bill but bear in mind that you would still be responsible to pay it if he refuses to do so .

Advertisement