Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esso silly air charge at Palmestown, Dublin

• 30-04-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

Went to Esso in Palmerstown and filled up 64 liters at princely sum of €106. I was a bit low on air and thought that 1.1 cpl over the unbranded station next door would buy me some air but apparently not so.

€1 to inflate the tyres, IMHO, on top of the 70c premium is not on.

PS. Guy at the till was very pleasant. Props for him, but negative feedback to the owner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

samih wrote: »
    Went to Esso in Palmerstown and filled up 64 liters at princely sum of €106. I was a bit low on air and thought that 1.1 cpl over the unbranded station next door would buy me some air but apparently not so.

PS. Guy at the till was very pleasant. Props for him, but negative feedback to the owner.
    Why did you not go to the unbranded much cheaper place next door who probably give theri compressed air for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

So you went to the big fancy ESSO with the "on the run" cafe, and the fancy shop and multiple staff and paid an extra 1 cent per litre. Everything in it is superduper and well looked after.

The little unbranded station next to it is a one man show. They are friendly and polite but no way do they have the facilities of the big one up the road. They can only compete on price.

You can have big and fancy if you like - but someone has to pay for it. In other words YOU ! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Same with the Esso on Navan road when coming from Dublin City Centre.
    I sooner drive on my rims than i am going to pay for air.
    The Esso on Navan road direction Dublin City centre is still free though.

I can fully understand they have a system in place like with shopping trolleys, so people dont throw that hose any place they like.
    But paying for air...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

inforfun wrote: »
    But paying for air...

Compressed air. Somebody has to pay to compress it, pay for the upkeep of machinery. Unfortunately if overheads are high the cost is passed on to the consumer.

First time I ever remember having to pay for air was about 4 years ago, in Northern Ireland IIRC. I had a long journey from Donegal to Dublin and pulled in somewhere in Omagh and had to pay 20p for the use of the air.

It irks me, but having worked in retail I can see where they're coming from. If something costs money and needs to be maintained, surely there will be a charge for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Why did you not go to the unbranded much cheaper place next door who probably give theri compressed air for free?

Not so, they have no compressed air whatsoever and this seems to getting to be the norm now.

I understand that it costs a bit to provide the service but €1 for air is a blatant rip off on top off the (moderate) price premium I paid. I'd have no problem paying 20ish c which I reckon the air really costs the station. And what is the existence of the shop to do with this particular case? I'm sure they don't need to subsidise it with the extra cpls but vice versa the shop is actually there to boost profits.

PS. Ended up using emergency pump I had forgotten in the boot on Sunday so it was not all doom and gloom ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Not so, they have no compressed air whatsoever and this seems to getting to be the norm now.

I understand that it costs a bit to provide the service but €1 for air is a blatant rip off on top off the (moderate) price premium I paid. I'd have no problem paying 20ish c which I reckon the air really costs the station. And what is the existence of the shop to do with this particular case? I'm sure they don't need to subsidise it with the extra cpls but vice versa the shop is actually there to boost profits.

PS. Ended up using emergency pump I had forgotten in the boot on Sunday so it was not all doom and gloom ;-)

If it cost 20c you'd still be on hear saying its a rip off saying its should be less because theres no way it costs the station that much

lala88 wrote: »
    If it cost 20c you'd still be on hear saying its a rip off saying its should be less because theres no way it costs the station that much

No I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

It should be one of those services they provide without cost to you. They should do it to benefit their own business and customer satisfaction. Fair enough, maybe you need to buy fuel first but after spending over 100 euro and then been asked to pay for air? That's a bit Irish!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A lot of places dont have compressors now, to pump your tyres. Those that do are often broken (around here anyway), which is a cost to the business to repair equipment. I think a footpump is the way to go cos for me anyway, using a garage usually involves a drive around town to find a pump thats working.

A euro sounds like a lot alright, tho. Suppose its just a handy figure, and if you need it, youll shell out that as simply as 20c.

No I wouldn't.

Sure you wouldnt....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

Esso long mile road , there yesterday 1fxxxxxxcking euro for air next thing you know the government will be charging for water,,!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

More fool the people that pay for it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I know many stations keep the attachment in the shop or kiosk to stop scummers stealing it but charging for air is just typical of the sort of crap that sees me boycott a business.

These clowns may know the cost of everything but know the true value of nothing. Quite frankly I hope the station involved goes bust and the owner left high and dry as such absolute stinge bags don't deserve one brown cent of business from the public.

Stinicker wrote: »
    I know many stations keep the attachment in the shop or kiosk to stop scummers stealing it but charging for air is just typical of the sort of crap that sees me boycott a business.

These clowns may know the cost of everything but know the true value of nothing. Quite frankly I hope the station involved goes bust and the owner left high and dry as such absolute stinge bags don't deserve one brown cent of business from the public.

And people wonder why businesses go under.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Transpirant

Compressed air. Somebody has to pay to compress it, pay for the upkeep of machinery. Unfortunately if overheads are high the cost is passed on to the consumer.

First time I ever remember having to pay for air was about 4 years ago, in Northern Ireland IIRC. I had a long journey from Donegal to Dublin and pulled in somewhere in Omagh and had to pay 20p for the use of the air.

It irks me, but having worked in retail I can see where they're coming from. If something costs money and needs to be maintained, surely there will be a charge for the service.

You don't know how the customer thing works, do you?

Nobody has to pay for it - it's part of your service which the retailer is supposed to absorb.

Overheads mean zilch because the customer will dump you if your costs are unrealistic. Then you go out of business and have to pay for the closure costs.

Realistic expectations please!

Esso Palmerstown are just plain crazy.... Asking money to inflate the wheels is a bit Irish. Typical of Irish retailers always looking for new ways to try and steal your Euro's.

I will spread the word to my friends and family to avoid this station.

Nedser101 wrote: »
    Esso long mile road , there yesterday 1fxxxxxxcking euro for air next thing you know the government will be charging for water,,!

That's the problem with Irish retailers: when one station starts charging for air, the others follow like sheep unaware of the consequences to their business. There is currently a steep drop in vehicle sales and more people are giving up their cars as the cost of gasoline is simply prohibitive. This is good for public transport but will sting these retailers the more customers change their attitudes. Charging for air is definitely one way to change a customer's attitude. Palmerstown Esso and Long Mile Road Esso will likely figure this out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You don't know how the customer thing works, do you?

You don't know how businesses work, do you?:rolleyes:
    Nobody has to pay for it

The consumer always pays. And I'm saying that from a customers point of view. Only the most naive and foolish believe that they truly get something for nothing.

- it's part of your service which the retailer is supposed to absorb.

Hilarious how as soon as you go against the rant against retailers, you're assumed to work in the garage:rolleyes:

Overheads mean zilch because the customer will dump you if your costs are unrealistic. Then you go out of business and have to pay for the closure costs.

Overheads in a business mean EVERYTHING. The amount of costs that a retailer has to absorb before even opening the doors everyday is huge. Maybe if you tried running one before making statements of how you think things happen you wouldn't make assumptive statements like above.

'closure costs' are a new one though. Must have to pay off the customers:p

Realistic expectations please!

From who? I no longer work in retail, you appear to have misread my post. I shop where I get decent value. I also put a premium on time and effort. If I have to drive an extra half an hour to get fuel at 2cent less per litre then it's not worth my while.

Realistic expectations have gone out the window with a lot of Irish consumers, they love jumping on the begrudgery bandwagon to give out about the 'rip off merchants' that take money off them for services. It's well known that if you give something for free it is abused and treated as an 'entitlement' rather than a service. As I pointed out, this 'service' was being charged in NI/UK many years before Irish garages started charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Esso Palmerstown are just plain crazy.... Asking money to inflate the wheels is a bit Irish. Typical of Irish retailers always looking for new ways to try and steal your Euro's.

I will spread the word to my friends and family to avoid this station.

You pay for air in a lot of the station here in the Netherlands too. Not just an Irish thing.

You pay for air in a lot of the station here in the Netherlands too. Not just an Irish thing.

I know that paying for air is becoming more and more common which is fine (really) once the charge is not a rip off. What would be a typical charge in Netherlands?

Sorry but I have no time for a station that charges over the odds which I strongly feel an Euro per use is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I know that paying for air is becoming more and more common which is fine (really) once the charge is not a rip off. What would be a typical charge in Netherlands?

Sorry but I have no time for a station that charges over the odds which I strongly feel an Euro per use is.

It's generally only 50cent. I wasnt saying that 1 euro is fair but was pointing out that its not only in Ireland that this charge exists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

The mentality of some posters on here can be summed up like this:

'Just because gas stations in other countries charge for air, we should copy them'.

No mention of the consequences this would have on custom because retailers are selfish who only care about maximizing their profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The station on the Malahide road are doing it also, don't use the place anymore or the Maxol around the corner as they refused to sell me 5 euros worth of petrol.

Charging for air is madness, they have to keep the toilets looking well and the floor has to be cleaned. Should we be paying to step on the floor?

Also, I think the fuel pumps work off the compressor, so maybe someone in a garage though sure whats the harm in putting a line into the compressor for some air for car tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

Stinicker wrote: »

if these service stations charge for air, people should boycott them and give their custom to stations that dont charge for air. good will

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

Went to the Esso in Greystones there which used to have free air :eek: Imagine that, free air.

Now they are charging. I left. I would rather spend the extra time and do it at home even though it takes longer.

What absolute pr;cks. An accident will be caused because someone doesn`t fill their tyres with air because they don`t have the euro, can`t be bothered looking for it, or refuse to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

What absolute pr;cks. An accident will be caused because someone doesn`t fill their tyres with air
    because they don`t have the euro,
    can`t be bothered looking for it,
    or refuse to pay.

Three reasons for not paying above...............none of which are the garages fault.

If there is an accident, its the drivers fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Cracker_Jack

john_cappa,

Or how about someone decides to superglue the slot and breaks the mechanism costing the business money to repair it? I seem to remember the trolley coin also. The garage could be liable in the event the air gauge is not properly calibrated if the driver wanted to...

These 3 Gas Stations shouldn't blame the government VAT when their sales start to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

1) SOME garages have a €1 'deposit' that you get back when you replace the airline correctly in the holder (Maxol - Mespil )

2) Used to work in a service station - airline always breaking but we had spare nozzles and kept things spik n span generally

Nowadays, a lot of Esso staff aren't Irish so maybe don't 'care' about helping the cusomer because they've no connection with Ireland other than as a place to earn money to send back to ..... ?

One woman in Tesco Baggot st must be Russian - she is as slow and dour, people just dump their purchases if they're in a hurry as she does everything one-step-at-a-time :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

cala wrote: »
    if these service stations charge for air, people should boycott them and give their custom to stations that dont charge for air. good will

If youre going down that route, it is only right that you also boycott stations that have no air, or who don't bother with repairing an existing air compressor. That shows even more contempt for the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

marinbike wrote: »
    The mentality of some posters on here can be summed up like this:

'Just because gas stations in other countries charge for air, we should copy them'.
    Well this is the rip off IRELAND forum, -from the charter.
    LFCFan wrote: »
    Ripoff Ireland forum was started to discuss the rediculously hihg prices of goods and services in Ireland compared to our European neighbours
    So it is certainly relevant to mention what other countries are doing.

msg11 wrote: »
    Charging for air is madness, they have to keep the toilets looking well and the floor has to be cleaned. Should we be paying to step on the floor?
    Many do not have toilets, no doubt many want to avoid the overheads involved, if you go into some shopping centres they will charge to use toilets. If a petrol station or supermarket does have wide spacious floors then you can be sure this is factored into the prices they charge. This is why some decide to pay more to go to more expensive shops with wider aisles and more staff etc.
    cala wrote: »
    Fair enough, but some might bite off their nose to spite their face, and would be stupid to do so IMO. i.e. they might boycott them and end up paying more overall for petrol & air in the place with 'free air'.

The same happened with play.com when they stopped their 'free delivery' some people got all up in arms and boycott them and could end up paying more to some other place with 'free delivery'.

When I see 'free' I substitute 'included' in my mind. I prefer to pay for what I use so I like ryanair style splitting out of charges.

Advertisement