Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Volt wheelchair motors

• 18-01-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,

My first time posting here so be nice to me please :p

I'm living in Cork and trying to renovate a friend's electric wheelchair but am running into two problems;
    1. I'm finding it difficult to get information online about the motors themselves.
    2. I'm finding it difficult to find resources that sell wheelchair motors - I may have to replace both motors if I can't fix the broken one.

The motors have the following specs written on them
    Tecmotion
    L63.130/LBF100
    They are cylindrical with a diameter of 63mm and a length og 130mm even though the specs seem to describe it the opposite away around
    24V-5A 3140 tr/min
    S04/09

Has anyone here come across shops - either bricks and mortar stores or online that you could post a name and help me please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Beechfield Healthcare

Hello QuietSailor,
    Might be able to help! What is the make of wheelchair itself?

Customer Care
    www.beechfieldhealthcare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Heh, this is where it gets interesting :D. Its a quickie 2 wheelchair that was retrofitted with a removable drive unit.

I don't ahve the unit here with me so i can't give you a name for the actual drive unit but I can describe it to you;

The 2 motors engage the 2 wheels with knurled drive pieces on their shafts (no reduction gears or gearboxes) and are held in an aluminium cylinder that extends from right to left across the chair.
    This tube is rougly 70mm in diameter and is mounted on the back of the chair on the uprights - the tubes that rise on upwards to become the handles.

The battery pack slots into place on a frame around the tube and hangs under the seat of the chair. The whole lot is removable easily enough - circa 40 secs and the chair can still fold

I searched by a name I found on the outside of the tube holding the motors and I came across the system - benoit systemes Light drive.

Do ye sell the motors for this system -- the motors only, not the whole unit

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galaxie390

Hi QuietSailor,

Ring MMS in Cork, if I remember correctly they're the Irish Agents for Benoit. Or you could contact Benoit in the UK.

I've found these systems are ok, but can be a pain the a** as they can force tyres off the rim.

Cheers,
    R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hello Folks,

My first time posting here so be nice to me please :p

I'm living in Cork and trying to renovate a friend's electric wheelchair but am running into two problems;
    1. I'm finding it difficult to get information online about the motors themselves.
    2. I'm finding it difficult to find resources that sell wheelchair motors - I may have to replace both motors if I can't fix the broken one.

The motors have the following specs written on them
    Tecmotion
    L63.130/LBF100
    They are cylindrical with a diameter of 63mm and a length og 130mm even though the specs seem to describe it the opposite away around
    24V-5A 3140 tr/min
    S04/09

Has anyone here come across shops - either bricks and mortar stores or online that you could post a name and help me please?

Have you considered having the motors reconditioned?

Eph.

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I had exams so everyone got forgotten.
    Galaxie390 wrote: »
    Hi QuietSailor,

Ring MMS in Cork, if I remember correctly they're the Irish Agents for Benoit. Or you could contact Benoit in the UK.
    My friend doesn't want to use them as they are too expensive - Benoit themselves quoted approx €370 for a motor alone, no bakes or drive roller

Galaxie390 wrote: »
    I've found these systems are ok, but can be a pain the a** as they can force tyres off the rim.

We may have accidently come up with a solution to that :). A friend of mine took the motors to work to replace the bearings as my tools weren't small enough for the job :eek:. The lads at his work replaced the old stone contact rollers (the bits that push onto the actual tyre) with stainless steel contact rollers and the wheels wear a lot less now. The new contact rollers wear a lot faster but we have a MarkII design in progress where we can change these contact rollers in future without having to take the motor off the unit.

Eph1958 wrote: »
    Have you considered having the motors reconditioned?

Eph.
    That's the road we went down in the end, for anyone out there who might be googling this thread in the future avonmore electrical will change the bearings, the brushes and electrically inspect the motor for you. I can't give a price as my friend arranged for the work to be done but Avonmore handle far bigger and more complex motors than 24V DC motors every day.

Advertisement